Do you know your history? (part VII)

Travel Air S-6000-B

Walter Beech, Lloyd Stearman, and Clyde Cessna created the Travel Air Company which created the above aircraft and the Travel Air 2000.

Delta used the above aircraft to fly from Atlanta to Fort Worth and back. Delta used the
Travel Air 2000 as a corporate aircraft.

Delta used the above aircraft to fly from Atlanta to Fort Worth and back.

Actually, the original route for the Travel Air 6000 was Jackson, MS to Dallas, TX with stops in Monroe, LA and Shreveport, LA.

Service eventually expanded to include Atlanta, GA and Fort Worth, TX in 1934 with a route that ran from Charleston, SC to Forth Worth, TX.

The route change was due to a rebid of the US Postal contract.

Now, speaking of Delta history, where does this airplane fit?

1446-a.jpg

Bite your tongue! If we could switch places and I was the mod I would infract you, ban you, and then put you on double secret probation.

Sorry, can't resist... the first thing that came to mind when I read that was a toga party!

[YT]Y7sGyvOiVUo[/YT]

Please, continue on...

p.s. the airplane is extremely relevant to how airlines operate today...

Travel Air S-6000-B

Walter Beech, Lloyd Stearman, and Clyde Cessna created the Travel Air Company which created the above aircraft and the Travel Air 2000.

Delta used the above aircraft to fly from Atlanta to Fort Worth and back. Delta used the Travel Air 2000 as a corporate aircraft.

This is the actual Delta airplane. It was owned by a Delta Captain named Doug Rounds and restored by a guy in Arkansas named Franny Roark in the 70's and 80's. Franny also had a Travel Air 2000 that I got a ride in once - first time I ever rode behind an OX-5. Doug Rounds donated the airplane to the Delta museum.
TravelAir6000.jpg

Here is a Travel Air 2000 as powered with the OX-5:
travelair2000.jpg

Now, speaking of Delta history, where does this airplane fit?

1446-a.jpg

The airplane is a Stinson A Trimotor...

not sure about the history part. This one was recovered in Alaska.

Sorry about being late getting back to this, but you are correct, it is a Stinson Model A Trimotor. Even though very few of these airplanes were built (31) and had a limited service time, the Stinson Model A did have it own contributions to the history of Delta...

- It was the first airplane used by Delta in night time service in 1935.

- It was the first airplane that was crewed with two pilots, also in 1935.

- It was the first airplane flown by Delta to be involved in a fatal accident. August 14, again 1935. Outside of Gilmer, TX. The outboard engine separated from the aircraft after a propeller blade broke off resulting in an imbalanced condition which led to loss of control of the aircraft. All aboard perished (1 pilots and 3 passengers).

Back