Declining your TOL?

Teller1900

Well-Known Member
Hey all, I'm yet another one of these airline guys thinking about my options on the other side of the mic. I've learned a lot about the whole process from reading this forum, and certainly appreciate the wealth of information everyone has to offer. I have just one question regarding the TOL. I live about 15 minutes from Norfolk (KORF), and right now my wife doesn't want to move. I understand that my GeoPrefs would be for terminal/Virginia and I could make a request for KORF, but it may or may not make a difference.

Assuming I make it as far as a TOL, if the offer is for something other than KORF, can I turn down the offer and wait for Norfolk to open up, or does denying the offer end the process for that announcement? I'm just affraid I'd get all the way through the process and end up having to commute to RIC, ROA, or another such airport that's a long way from where the wife wants to be.
 

Wyopoke79

New Member
The process ends.

There was a guy at the KC PEPC that was selected for a position at a facility and wanted to change it once he got to the pepc. I believe he was worried about the cost of living.

He asked the head honcho at our introduction if it was at all possible to switch. The guy said that you are being offered one position. If you don't wan't it then the process ends For you right now. He then said twice to the guy.... THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATIONS.

He then told the guy that he could chance stopping the process now and hope he got picked up in the future...but there were no guarantees...and he would have to reapply.

good luck with the wife :D
 

FM_Weasel

Well-Known Member
The above is true, to an extent. The PEPC is the wrong time/place to discuss a facility change with the FAA. You know well ahead of time where you've been selected for (we did anyway), and can contact your HR rep for guidance and help. Hopefully, they're like mine and willing to get you into something more local, if you got picked for somewhere else.

It can be done, I did it. But it needs to happen before you sign your TOL, and if you wait and bring it up at the PEPC in front of all the upper FAA management people (like in the above example), prepare to be disappointed. (oh, and you'll look pretty foolish)

Someone tried to pull that at my KC PEPC also. I just couldn't get my head around it.
 

Wyopoke79

New Member
The above is true, to an extent. The PEPC is the wrong time/place to discuss a facility change with the FAA. You know well ahead of time where you've been selected for (we did anyway), and can contact your HR rep for guidance and help. Hopefully, they're like mine and willing to get you into something more local, if you got picked for somewhere else.

It can be done, I did it. But it needs to happen before you sign your TOL, and if you wait and bring it up at the PEPC in front of all the upper FAA management people (like in the above example), prepare to be disappointed. (oh, and you'll look pretty foolish)

Someone tried to pull that at my KC PEPC also. I just couldn't get my head around it.

I believe we were in the same room when this happened. :rolleyes:
 

Teller1900

Well-Known Member
The process ends.

There was a guy at the KC PEPC that was selected for a position at a facility and wanted to change it once he got to the pepc. I believe he was worried about the cost of living.

He asked the head honcho at our introduction if it was at all possible to switch. The guy said that you are being offered one position. If you don't wan't it then the process ends For you right now. He then said twice to the guy.... THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATIONS.

He then told the guy that he could chance stopping the process now and hope he got picked up in the future...but there were no guarantees...and he would have to reapply.

good luck with the wife :D
So you mean telling the boss guy that you don't like his offer isn't a good idea :buck:. I'll probably need all the luck I can get when I start talking more about changing careers again!

FM_Weasel said:
The above is true, to an extent. The PEPC is the wrong time/place to discuss a facility change with the FAA. You know well ahead of time where you've been selected for (we did anyway), and can contact your HR rep for guidance and help. Hopefully, they're like mine and willing to get you into something more local, if you got picked for somewhere else.

It can be done, I did it. But it needs to happen before you sign your TOL, and if you wait and bring it up at the PEPC in front of all the upper FAA management people (like in the above example), prepare to be disappointed. (oh, and you'll look pretty foolish)

Someone tried to pull that at my KC PEPC also. I just couldn't get my head around it.
So I take it they give you a contact number when they give you the TOL? If I were to end up declining the TOL, is there a moratorium on reapplying? I can't imagine they'd want me submitting for every PubNat until I get ORF :rolleyes:.
 

FM_Weasel

Well-Known Member
No moratorium. Go nuts, apply to all of them.

We were told before the PEPC which facility we were assigned. It was not a TOL. My HR rep asked that I accept or decline the offer. I accepted, then immediately called her up and asked if we could review closer locations. The initial offer email included her introduction and contact info, but it wasn't the TOL.

She got back with me a few weeks later with my current offer, which is the one I signed the TOL for at the PEPC.
 

Teller1900

Well-Known Member
Thats actually exactly what they want you to do. So just keep applying to everything that opens up. ;)
I see your signature line...you certainly took your own advice to heart :D.

Thanks everyone, very much for the answers; this is quite encouraging!:nana2:
 

Tony Montero

New Member
And it was a life saver. :rawk: Because I didn't get selected during my PUBNAT1 application. But I did get picked up for my PUBNAT2 application. Had I not applied to all of them, I'd still be waiting around. Because by the time I knew I didn't make it for PUBNAT1, PUBNAT4 or 5 was closing.
 

Teller1900

Well-Known Member
Wowzah! What got you denied the first time, but accepted the second (if they give you any indication, and you don't mind my asking)?
 

FM_Weasel

Well-Known Member
A lot of times it's because you pick a geographic preference that's too isolated and they don't have openings in that area.
 

chichi

New Member
Wowzah! What got you denied the first time, but accepted the second (if they give you any indication, and you don't mind my asking)?
They don't tell you why you weren't selected, but, like FM_Weasel said, I assume my problem was my geo pref.

I wasn't picked up for PUBNAT2 and by the time I found out, I would have missed 3,4,5,6 if I didn't apply to them. So take Tony's advice and make sure you apply to everything that opens up ;)
 

Tony Montero

New Member
Wowzah! What got you denied the first time, but accepted the second (if they give you any indication, and you don't mind my asking)?
Like FM_Weasel and chichi mentioned, I'm pretty sure it was because of the states I picked the first time around. I picked NJ/DE the first time around and I'm just guessing that there weren't that many openings at the time, if any. Hell, there are only 6 facilities between those two states. The second time around I picked VA/PA and got selected by one of the 18 facilities between the two states. :)

And theres no indication at all if you aren't selected. Unless you count silence as an indication :laff:
 

WoH

New Member
I don't know the ins and outs of how and when this works, but I have heard that you can only turn down one offer from the FAA. If you turn them down twice, you will never be eligible for employment again, no matter how many pubnats you've submitted.

I just wouldn't risk it.

In addition to talking with your HR rep after your initial acceptance, I've heard that if you whine and moan at your facility long enough, you can get transferred.
 
Top