Da-40 g1000

I may be a student pilot, but im not gonna post on a subject if i dont know anything about it.
You still don't know about it.
You really don't know what you don't know.

so .5 or 5 shouldnt matter, you should (should I, really?) know as a CFI, one student may have 90 hours and not be able to grasp something that someone with 5 hours can. You can have millions of hours and be a bad pilot and have 10 and be great. Please dont judge me until you fly with me.

Contradiction? Time doesn't matter anymore? The glorious "time in type" is all for not!? If you have something against JH you should probably just come out and say it, instead of making a big ballyhoo about his ask for help.

I am not judging your flying, why would that even enter into the debate.
Your experience is lacking and it shows in your comments.
Until you gain more experience and knowledge, hold off on posting about being a CFI.
It is really just bad form.

You really don't know what you don't know.

Contradiction? Time doesn't matter anymore? The glorious "time in type" is all for not!? If you have something against JH you should probably just come out and say it, instead of making a big ballyhoo about his ask for help.

Until you gain more experience and knowledge, hold off on posting about being a CFI.

This really doesnt make much sense.
How do you know what my experience level is?

What if i had already taken the FOI for the hell of it? ( i almost did when my friends were in the CFI acad and i was their "test dummy"?)

All im trying to say is it's hard to judge someones knowledge levels unless they say they dont know something..

This really doesnt make much sense.
How do you know what my experience level is?
...says the man with his Total Time flight log as his signature. :rolleyes:

and lastly I'll just repost what I already said in bold

Your comments themselves are telling about what you know and have experienced.

-----
Nothing about the contradiction?

------
Let me guess your dad flies a....

...says the man with his Total Time flight log as his signature. :rolleyes:

and lastly I'll just repost what I already said in bold

Your comments themselves are telling about what you know and have experienced.
How so?
I believe that info was what James needed, more than what i can say you contributed...

Let me guess your dad flies a....
Jeep Grand Cherokee, i dont really talk to him much, but that's besides the point.

30 minutes and it will be inspected at Annuals or 100Hrs usually.

Oh and don't forget an ASR/PAR approach when your electrical dies on you next time :p

Actually, we should be clear on two different times for the emergency backup power. The essential bus lasts up to 30 mins, but the Emergency Horizon Switch (the one with the copper wire around it) lasts 1:30 according to my POH. Nice to have, but still doesn't do anything more for you than illuminate the panel and keep you straight and level.

On your second point, there's no way to get an ASR/PAR approach after using up the battery power (30 mins on essential bus). At this point, all of your comms are dead and you're transponder is no longer transponding. (No need to get into a discussion on whether or not ATC will still be able to see you). Once you're down to the essential bus, you have under 30 mins to get on the ground, or get VFR.

-Chris

Not taking sides here, but your employer is comfortable letting you check students out in an aircraft that you only have .5 in? I just figured there would be more of an insurance requirement.

Can you post a link?
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G1000:Non-AirframeSpecific_GuideforDPEsandCFIs.pdf

There are a lot of things that the pdfs DO NOT explain about the G1000, reading 26 pages will not make one instructionally proficient in the slightest.

What are the limitations on restarting the G1000 in flight?
How long must the wings be kept level for the AHRS to align?
How many functions does the GMU serve?
How many vacuum pumps does the DA40-G1000 have?
How long will the Autopilot work with the essential bus switch on?

?'s:

Explain the essential bus?

Explain the red missle switch that says Gyro Emergency?

Explain the reduncy that the system has? 2 alt's...etc

These are basic questions that I would expect my instructors to know before doing a checkout. As a paying customer, I would be pretty pissed off if every time I asked my CFI a question about the G1000, I would hear "Let me look that up." I wouldn't expect the CFI to know every nuance, but a general knowledge of the systems would be required.

As an instructor myself, I take more pride in my job than that. The fact that you are posting these questions show that you are either:

A. Too lazy to research the information yourself
or
B. Don't respect the responsibility you have as a CFI enough to care.

Either way, it is a bad attitude to have.

With all of that said, if this guy is proficient in the G1000 (Not just "glass cockpits"), then it isn't that big of a deal. If the guy has 0 time in a G1000, then you have some work to do. Don't do yourself the discourtesy (or the customer) of walking into a situation when you know nothing about the aircraft.

Over the past week I found out an airplane is an airplane is an airplane. I can fly it...I can teach others to fly it...just have some questions about this shiny g1000.

While an airplane is an airplane is an airplane, avionics are not.

Each have their own ideosynchronacies and procedures.

It's what I do for a living; I create avonics suite training programs, and even with pouring over manuals and have fuly functioning simulators, I still need to correspond with the OEM regarding nuances that are not addressed in other ways.

Jhugs - if you still have G1000 questions feel free to shoot me a PM, as I spent a year working on that and have a bit of time in em too.

I'm jumping in so late that I doubt my reply will even be read...but here we go.
I have about...700 hours in G1000 equipped airplanes. None in the DA40. It depends on what you are supposed to be teaching this guy. Does he want to learn how to fly the DA40 VFR? If so, you should be able to do that with your experience and a little bit of prep time (for yourself) and ground time (for him) to learn to use some of the useful VFR features on the G1000.

On the other hand, if he wants an extensive G1000 checkout, you'll need to learn your stuff a lot better than you have. It has a lot of capability and the student has to know what some different failure possibilities are, and what to do about them.

So I just got back from the checkout....and we didn't die. Crazyness!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back