Da-40 g1000

Obviously there are exceptions, but if you think you need 10 hours to feel confident in a SEL trike you need to do some serious soul searching.

Thank you...

And yes I do have plenty of time on the 430 and also a lot of time on an almost fully functional g1000 in the sim.

DPA mentioned flap variations on takeoff. . .which. . .while they are a good demonstration, might not be the best thing to teach a student. I'm not going to take off in an airplane that requires flaps with no flaps, I'll be turning the plane around and handing it to maintenance.

Just a thought.

What I would demonstrate (if you're comfortable, and with only .5 time in type I'd recommend getting some more experience) is a zero flap landing. Not as bad on the float as a DA-20 with no flaps, but still a nice challenge. Also power off 180's, even if the student isn't commercially rated or ever plan to be is also a great energy management exercise.

What I would demonstrate (if you're comfortable, and with only .5 time in type I'd recommend getting some more experience) is a zero flap landing. Not as bad on the float as a DA-20 with no flaps, but still a nice challenge. Also power off 180's, even if the student isn't commercially rated or ever plan to be is also a great energy management exercise.

Will do the power off 180's for sure...the no flap landings I might do depending on runway length and winds. Thanks keep it coming.

DPA mentioned flap variations on takeoff. . .which. . .while they are a good demonstration, might not be the best thing to teach a student. I'm not going to take off in an airplane that requires flaps with no flaps, I'll be turning the plane around and handing it to maintenance.

Just a thought.

My reasoning for teaching it would be to make sure the student always follows the checklist. if you're coming from cessnas or pipers, flaps are an option, and you take off fine without them, but in the da40, if you dont put flaps at t/o, it significantly increases your takeoff ground roll, and that can lead to bad things at a short field. just MHO

My reasoning for teaching it would be to make sure the student always follows the checklist. if you're coming from cessnas or pipers, flaps are an option, and you take off fine without them, but in the da40, if you dont put flaps at t/o, it significantly increases your takeoff ground roll, and that can lead to bad things at a short field. just MHO

Which is fine, but not something I'd personally be willing to demonstrate unless I have more than enough runway. Don't want to even set the impression that disregarding the checklist is an option.

Establish the proper checklist discipline early.

Which is fine, but not something I'd personally be willing to demonstrate unless I have more than enough runway. Don't want to even set the impression that disregarding the checklist is an option.

Establish the proper checklist discipline early.

which is why every manuever is done with room to spare.

im not saying go do it on a 3k foot runway, thats just, ugh!

Wooo chill your horses buddy. Stop taking stuff I say out of context. Over the past couple weeks I have flown a DA-20, 40, PA-28 for the first time. I had a total of .2 in a PA-28 before giving dual in it. I felt more then comfortable if any emergency comes up I can handle it. People that know me in person know I am a very safe pilot so stop making judgments over the internet. I never said that a student could jump from a 20 to a 40 to a 182 like I can. However I feel pretty comfortable with my flying abilities at this point to jump from one underpowered bugsmasher to another. A 20 hour student pilot probally does not. I am asking questions about a g1000 in a da-40 so if it doesn't have anything to do with that. Don't post in my thread anymore.

I'm not taking anything out of context, I quoted you verbatim.

But from THIS^ post I gather you're allergic to humble pie.

Hey you got 300ish hours, you can jump from airplane to airplane with no problems:rolleyes:

I wouldn't let an instructor with 1000 hours of dual go from a 172 to a 182. They have very different landing characteristics, not to mention they would probably toast a 30K engine.

Man, I wouldn't do that.
He has some pretty insightful things to say...

Nah...I should I am not turning my thread into a pissing match and getting it sent to the lav...I have questions I am trying to get em answered and just because who I am on this forum every time I post I get flamers out of the woodwork. Tired of it...

OK...

I hope you come back to this thread when you have a few thousand hours and get a good chuckle out of it.

The truth only hurts if it should.

Nah...I should I am not turning my thread into a pissing match and getting it sent to the lav...I have questions I am trying to get em answered and just because who I am on this forum every time I post I get flamers out of the woodwork. Tired of it...
Eh, Well, the questions you asked were answered.
And i dont think it really matters who you are. If my CFI told me he had .5 in an a/c and was going to fly with me, i'd be a bit weary of it to, weather he had 5 or 5,000 hours TT.

I mean, can you possibly know EVERYTHING about an airplane in .5?
Obviously not if you have to come here to ask.
Granted im only a student pilot, but still, Step back and look at this, what would you do as a perspective student?

Eh, Well, the questions you asked were answered.
And i dont think it really matters who you are. If my CFI told me he had .5 in an a/c and was going to fly with me, i'd be a bit weary of it to, weather he had 5 or 5,000 hours TT.

Obviously not if you have to come here to ask.
Granted im only a student pilot, but still, Step back and look at this, what would you do as a perspective student?

You might just be a student pilot, but your head is screwed on straight.

Keep it up kid!

I have 300 hours in Cessna products and probably 150 hours in Skyhawks. Do I know everything about the aircraft? Absolutely not and if anyone does tell you that they are lying to ya. However I know when I can fly, teach, and handle emergencies whether it be the 150 hours in skyhawks or my .2 in a PA-28.

I have 300 hours in Cessna products and probably 150 hours in Skyhawks. Do I know everything about the aircraft? Absolutely not and if anyone does tell you that they are lying to ya. However I know when I can fly, teach, and handle emergencies whether it be the 150 hours in skyhawks or my .2 in a PA-28.

I mean, if you can memorize all the v speeds and emergency procedures, thats good. But if you have to ask others right before teaching a student, well, maybe you should send him to a colleague until you have it down pat. Is it worth the cash?

Just be safe, the first time you don't respect something is when it comes back to bite you in the a$$.

Play with it alot on the ground hooked up to the GPU that helps alot. I understand where McG is coming from, we both knew an instructor at skymates that is gone now. Not gonna say what I think he was doing, but I'm pretty sure I do. So be safe.

Dave

Apparently it is.

Do you tell the potential customer that you have .5 time in type? Do you let them know that you feel comfortable handling any emergency situation that comes your way?
i had 3 hours in the DA40 before i solo'd it and i had already solo'd the 172SP with a G1000.

And i still am learning about the MFer...

all im saying is, you may want to get to know the systems a bit better, i mean, you didnt even know how many alternators it had bud.

and those questions about the G1000 systems you had were pretty important....

Everyone has to start somewhere in flight instructing. It may seem like the blind leading the blind, but being a flight instructor has a great responsibility with it. That responsibility is to remain safe. I think jhugz knows what he is doing, if not, he will research like all of CFI's.

Back