Da-40 g1000

jhugz

So I have to do a checkout flight with a customer (ATP) tomm. and I only have about .5 on the airplane and .5 on a G1000. I sat in the G1000 for a couple hours today with one of those GPU type thingys so I feel pretty confident with it and teaching it however I am wondering if anyone has any little interesting facts or cool things it can do that maybe are not so obvious and I may have missed when I was finagling with it. I am not really worried about the airplane because once you have flown one you have flown em all. However I do not have a POH in front of me and the POH doesn't go into the G1000 stuff.

?'s:

Explain the essential bus?

Explain the red missle switch that says Gyro Emergency?

Explain the reduncy that the system has? 2 alt's...etc

Thanks for the answers in advance just trying to give the customer his money's worth.

So I have to do a checkout flight with a customer (ATP) tomm. and I only have about .5 on the airplane and .5 on a G1000. I sat in the G1000 for a couple hours today with one of those GPU type thingys so I feel pretty confident with it and teaching it however I am wondering if anyone has any little interesting facts or cool things it can do that maybe are not so obvious and I may have missed when I was finagling with it. I am not really worried about the airplane because once you have flown one you have flown em all. However I do not have a POH in front of me and the POH doesn't go into the G1000 stuff.

?'s:

Explain the essential bus?

Explain the red missle switch that says Gyro Emergency?

Explain the reduncy that the system has? 2 alt's...etc

Thanks for the answers in advance just trying to give the customer his money's worth.

I use to instruct in G-1000, but there are some things that you remember once and never recite it again. Kinda like the questions you have above. But I might have my books still.

Maybe you shouldn't do the checkout.....

Not trying to bust your balls but, if the guy is paying good money to get a G1000 checkout he should probably do it with someone with more than .5 in the airplane.

If he starts asking questions and you don't know then answers then you're going to look like an ass.

If he starts asking questions and you don't know then answers then you're going to look like an ass.

Over the past week I found out an airplane is an airplane is an airplane. I can fly it...I can teach others to fly it...just have some questions about this shiny g1000.

O BTW...the student has been checked out in the DA-40 so there is no need to worry much about the systems and the flying part...just the g1000.

Have to side with ryanmickG on this one.

But, I know money is probably tight and what not. . .that being the case, google G1000 Examiner/Instructor pdf or something along those sorts.

It's a pdf from garmin that details certain training scenarios and covers system failures and redundancies.

As far as questions, I always liked the following two, but here are more than just those two.

If your PFD fails, what nav and com radios do you lose?

If your MFD fails, what nav and com radios do you lose?

I'd get into the details of what data the AHRS and ADC provides to the system.

What are the components of the G1000 system?

How are the components linked? (might be too anal, but if you do the work before hand - you'll have a much better understanding especially when the student doesn't know)

This kind of attitude will get you killed.

Here is the deal...I don't want this thread to go flame bait...so I am not going to answer your useless questions and you don't answer mine. Hit the back button and just stay out of the thread. If you have any questions for me outside of this topic...hit my name on the top right then click send pm.

I am reading through the pdf...again good stuff thx surreal.

No, here's the deal......I dont want student pilots coming on here and develop a "If its got wings I can fly it" attitude!

"An airplane is an airplane is an airplane" Is a very ignorant statement.

I know of 2 people that decided to instruct someone in a BE-55 with the the attitude of "Oh, its just another light twin, I can fly it"

Guess what...Flat spin....smoking hole...pilot jam!!

JH, you really only have .5 hours of time in the type?

n/p about the pdf, enjoy it, print it, take it with, share with your student.

No, here's the deal......I dont want student pilots coming on here and develop a "If its got wings I can fly it" attitude!

"An airplane is an airplane is an airplane" Is a very ignorant statement.

I know of 2 people that decided to instruct someone in a BE-55 with the the attitude of "Oh, its just another light twin, I can fly it"

Guess what...Flat spin....smoking hole...pilot jam!!

Wooo chill your horses buddy. Stop taking stuff I say out of context. Over the past couple weeks I have flown a DA-20, 40, PA-28 for the first time. I had a total of .2 in a PA-28 before giving dual in it. I felt more then comfortable if any emergency comes up I can handle it. People that know me in person know I am a very safe pilot so stop making judgments over the internet. I never said that a student could jump from a 20 to a 40 to a 182 like I can. However I feel pretty comfortable with my flying abilities at this point to jump from one underpowered bugsmasher to another. A 20 hour student pilot probally does not. I am asking questions about a g1000 in a da-40 so if it doesn't have anything to do with that. Don't post in my thread anymore.

Yeah took it up did some quick maneuvers and some t/o's and landings and was fine. It is a very simple aircraft to fly.

Well, good luck to you. Certainly not going to ride you like ryan is, but with about 100 hours in a DA-40, things can go wrong that no amount of time will prepare you for.

Yeah, it's a "simple" airplane, but cockyness isn't alone at the crash site.

Might I ask what the lesson covers? Just a checkout? For a flight school's aircraft?

If you need to come here to learn about it, i dont think you should teach others to fly it.

But, heres some answers
The E or Essential Buss will give you the annunciator panel, batterey, essential avionics-bus (com1 nav1 gps1 xpdr) bus interconnection, flaps, flood lights, art. horizon, engine instruments, landing lights, master control (av master, ess bus switch, ess avionics relay, bus interconnection relay, av master relay) and pitot heat

The emergency gyro switch gives you the flood lights and artificial horizon in an emergency that would call for you to turn the master switch off.

and the altimeter, artificial horizon, and airspeed indicators are backups if the G1000 were to fail.

Hope this helps, but again, maybe you should get better aquainted with the airplane before teaching someone.

Yeah took it up did some quick maneuvers and some t/o's and landings and was fine. It is a very simple aircraft to fly.

If you have any experiance with Garmin 430/530 GPS units, you'll pick up the G1000 very quickly. Since the customer is experianced in the airplane already, this is a good case for you to get a little more time in before you take up someone brand new.

And I for one belive that if you are a CFI you should be able to fly any basic light single. Provided you spend some time studying the POH, and pick a low risk enviroment to get an initial feel for the airplane. I wouldn't think twice about flying a Maule trike or a Beech Sundowner.

Obviously there are exceptions, but if you think you need 10 hours to feel confident in a SEL trike you need to do some serious soul searching.

Well, good luck to you. Certainly not going to ride you like ryan is, but with about 100 hours in a DA-40, things can go wrong that no amount of time will prepare you for.

Yeah, it's a "simple" airplane, but cockyness isn't alone at the crash site.

Might I ask what the lesson covers? Just a checkout? For a flight school's aircraft?

Yeah it is going to be a mini-x country...standard thing they do.

We have a GPU on the ground so we are going to mess around with the g1k for about a half hour. Get him the basics and such. Talk about it a little more.

Then the flight:

An airport about 50nm south we are going to fly to using the autopilot flt plans and such. Do a ILS then go missed for the hold. Head back...on the way back we are going to do maneuvers and emergencies.

All in all the flight shouldn't be more then 2 hours with about 3 total with ground.

Like I said the customer has time in type so it may take longer with someone else for landings and etc...but as of right now I am not expecting it, but who knows.

Oh, and show your student a takeoff with flaps takeoff, then flaps up...

imagine that on a short field...

If you need to come here to learn about it, i dont think you should teach others to fly it.

But, heres some answers
The E or Essential Buss will give you the annunciator panel, batterey, essential avionics-bus (com1 nav1 gps1 xpdr) bus interconnection, flaps, flood lights, art. horizon, engine instruments, landing lights, master control (av master, ess bus switch, ess avionics relay, bus interconnection relay, av master relay) and pitot heat

The emergency gyro switch gives you the flood lights and artificial horizon in an emergency that would call for you to turn the master switch off.

and the altimeter, artificial horizon, and airspeed indicators are backups if the G1000 were to fail.

Hope this helps, but again, maybe you should get better acquainted with the airplane before teaching someone.

I got this out of the "POH" for the DA40-180, if you were wondering

Back