Da-40 g1000

Only after you have more time in any one airplane do you realize how dangerous it can be. I strongly suggest you get more flight time in the a/c before you do the check out. Here's what I've learned in over 1000 hours of instructing in the DA40:

-Follow the hot start procedure to the letter anytime you are over 150 degrees oil temp, the starters burn out after the slightest bit of abuse.

-Do not trust this thing is solid IMC without an out! I've had the electrical system fail completely on me in two separate occasions in brand new 40's. The essential bus didn't work in either of these situations. You have no backup CDI and absolutely no way to do an approach. Make sure you have some space beneath the clouds or bring a backup nav/com.

-The essential bus (when it works) keeps the essential equipment working for 30 mins maximum! It usually doesn't last that long unless you have a brand new battery. Stress this point to your student. After an alternator failure, you need to get to VMC or on the ground ASAP because you are minutes away from losing your CDI.

-Set up the scheduler page on the MFD to remind you about changing the fuel tanks. (You do know how to set up the scheduler, right?) The fuel gauges don't budge until you've burned off the first 3-4 gallons and by the time you notice the difference in fuel between the two tanks, you've gone over the 8-10 gallon max difference specified in the POH (8 or 10 gallons depending on the serial number). The Diamond guys mentioned to us that this is more important that it sounds.

-Careful with the rear door. They have a tendency to rip off in flight and could damage the horizontal or vertical stabilizer in flight. Land asap whenever getting a "door" annunciation. Do not try to fix it in flight! The safety should keep the door from flying off if you don't mess with it until you're on the ground.

-Observe the RPM limits specified in the POH for your prop. They are different for each model, but ours says 2400 RPM max after 20 seconds.

-The tester/gauge shouldn't be trusted. I'm not sure if they showed you how to use it properly, but ours have varied 1-4 gallons from the actual amount of fuel in the tanks. For this reason, we never fly with less than 1 hour of reserve on the 40. Remember that after you burn 3-4 gallons off of each side, you can't see the fuel level by removing the tank cap any more.

There are a lot of other unusual problems this model can encounter. Overall it is an excellent aircraft, but you've got to respect it as a newer model with lots of bugs to be worked out. Know the fuel and electrical system well. I'm sure you can fly most airplanes that have one engine and four seats on a normal day, but what if the proverbial S hits the fan?

-Chris

Only after you have more time in any one airplane do you realize how dangerous it can be. I strongly suggest you get more flight time in the a/c before you do the check out. Here's what I've learned in over 1000 hours of instructing in the DA40:

-Follow the hot start procedure to the letter anytime you are over 150 degrees oil temp, the starters burn out after the slightest bit of abuse.

-Do not trust this thing is solid IMC without an out! I've had the electrical system fail completely on me in two separate occasions in brand new 40's. The essential bus didn't work in either of these situations. You have no backup CDI and absolutely no way to do an approach. Make sure you have some space beneath the clouds or bring a backup nav/com.

-The essential bus (when it works) keeps the essential equipment working for 30 mins maximum! It usually doesn't last that long unless you have a brand new battery. Stress this point to your student. After an alternator failure, you need to get to VMC or on the ground ASAP because you are minutes away from losing your CDI.

-Set up the scheduler page on the MFD to remind you about changing the fuel tanks. (You do know how to set up the scheduler, right?) The fuel gauges don't budge until you've burned off the first 3-4 gallons and by the time you notice the difference in fuel between the two tanks, you've gone over the 8-10 gallon max difference specified in the POH (8 or 10 gallons depending on the serial number). The Diamond guys mentioned to us that this is more important that it sounds.

-Careful with the rear door. They have a tendency to rip off in flight and could damage the horizontal or vertical stabilizer in flight. Land asap whenever getting a "door" annunciation. Do not try to fix it in flight! The safety should keep the door from flying off if you don't mess with it until you're on the ground.

-Observe the RPM limits specified in the POH for your prop. They are different for each model, but ours says 2400 RPM max after 20 seconds.

-The tester/gauge shouldn't be trusted. I'm not sure if they showed you how to use it properly, but ours have varied 1-4 gallons from the actual amount of fuel in the tanks. For this reason, we never fly with less than 1 hour of reserve on the 40. Remember that after you burn 3-4 gallons off of each side, you can't see the fuel level by removing the tank cap any more.

There are a lot of other unusual problems this model can encounter. Overall it is an excellent aircraft, but you've got to respect it as a newer model with lots of bugs to be worked out. Know the fuel and electrical system well. I'm sure you can fly most airplanes that have one engine and four seats on a normal day, but what if the proverbial S hits the fan?

-Chris

Thanks for the info...

I'll go ahead and get in on this. Im probably gunna regret it but oh well...

I dont think that you are able to teach somebody what he knows if you have so little time in the plane. For instance, I went up in a G1000 172 with a guy that had about .5 TT in the G1000. It was a mistake. On the ground, we turn on the master and the G1000 wont turn on all the way and the plane is screaming at us. He had no idea how to fix it. I, having had about 5 hrs in a G1000, knew what to do, and I told him, but he wouldn't listen to me, so he went and got the chief instrutor to come check it out, turns out I was right on the solution. The breaker. So after this happens im already not too happy, then in flight, the G1000 goes and we're just flyin on backups. He's freaking out cause we dont have main radio or anything. It didnt fase me. I've never been with an instructor that I've felt like I was more comfortable in the plane then when I went up with this guy. If I hadn't had anytime in the G1000 I would've been scared outta my mind that this guy was gunna kill me cause he had no idea what to do cause of his whopping .5 TT in the G1000.

</rant>

Isn't that what EVERY low time CFI is doing?

Maybe, but they don't have to be soo cocky.

He has ALOT to learn as a 300 hour CFI....everyone does.

My problem is with the "an airplane is an airplane.....I can fly it...I can teach it" sillyness.

I dont think that you are able to teach somebody what he knows if you have so little time in the plane. For instance, I went up in a G1000 172 with a guy that had about .5 TT in the G1000. It was a mistake. On the ground, we turn on the master and the G1000 wont turn on all the way and the plane is screaming at us. He had no idea how to fix it. I, having had about 5 hrs in a G1000, knew what to do, and I told him, but he wouldn't listen to me, so he went and got the chief instrutor to come check it out, turns out I was right on the solution. The breaker. So after this happens im already not too happy, then in flight, the G1000 goes and we're just flyin on backups. He's freaking out cause we dont have main radio or anything. It didnt fase me. I've never been with an instructor that I've felt like I was more comfortable in the plane then when I went up with this guy. If I hadn't had anytime in the G1000 I would've been scared outta my mind that this guy was gunna kill me cause he had no idea what to do cause of his whopping .5 TT in the G1000.

I agree with you, but you must take it case by case.
He could know as much in .5 that took you 5.0, you know what i mean?

My problem is with the "an airplane is an airplane.....I can fly it...I can teach it" sillyness.
I thought i could fly the A320-232.

I could.
So could Tlewis95.
I thought i could land the thing.
He landed better than many people going to recurrent.
I had a tailstrike...

A plane is NOT a plane.

oh yea

im not trying to say im smarter, im just saying he didnt know how to cope in the bad situations, so it really didnt feel good.

</rant>

Money well spent?

Jesus, this thread is basically a CFI pissing match. You guys need to just chill out for a bit.

I agree with what people have said about him not having enough time in type to do this checkout but he didnt come here for that, he came here to get answers to questions about the airplane.

So maybe there should be a new thread started about what a CFI should and shouldnt do.

Also, JHugz, Im not attacking you in any way but in the first page where you said you can basically fly anything. Pretty cocky statement man, not going to lie. But hey, here I am contradicting myself on what I just said about what this thread should be covering.

I didnt wanna pick sides or insult anybody with my story.

it was just an example so hopefully I didnt insult or offend anybody

You a student pilot took it up after 3 hours.
You have a problem with a CFI taking it up after .5.

His .5 is worth a lot more than your 3.

Straighten up.
Again, not to sound like an ass.
I may be a student pilot, but im not gonna post on a subject if i dont know anything about it.

so .5 or 5 shouldnt matter, you should know as a CFI, one student may have 90 hours and not be able to grasp something that someone with 5 hours can. You can have millions of hours and be a bad pilot and have 10 and be great. Please dont judge me until you fly with me.

Again, not to sound like an ass.
I may be a student pilot, but im not gonna post on a subject if i dont know anything about it.

so .5 or 5 shouldnt matter, you should know as a CFI, one student may have 90 hours and not be able to grasp something that someone with 5 hours can. You can have millions of hours and be a bad pilot and have 10 and be great. Please dont judge me until you fly with me.

You helped me navi through practically a foreign website...wut does that aim chat prove?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot???

You can have millions of hours and be a bad pilot and have 10 and be great. Please dont judge me until you fly with me.

:yeahthat:

that is the most true statement I've seen on here. As a fellow student pilot with DPA, dont judge the students until you've talked to them about aviation and then flown with them.

I went up with a guy who said he had 200 or 300 hours and he was probably the worst pilot I have ever flown with, he actually asked me how I landed as smooth as I did after he went up with me. Im not trying to brag or anything by saying that, it just proves the point of you dont know the skill of the pilot till you've flown with them.

I have a little info on The emergency gyro switch that I somehow just remembered. If you lose your battery, This switch will turn on the flood light and attitude indicator. It does this by D cell batteries hooked it up to it. If I remember correctly, It will for last either 30 or 45 minutes. Go with 30, just to be sure.

30 minutes and it will be inspected at Annuals or 100Hrs usually. Our DA40's had a ton of AA batteries for the electric gyro.

In no way shape or form do I not plan to follow the above statement. I feel more then confident that I will do that and more. If you look back at my original post I do say I am trying to give the customer his moneys worth. I had a couple questions about some various items because our POH's are for the steam gauge 40's not the g1000. Only the airplane one is the correct one.

Open the airplane one and read it.

-Chris

My school hasn't experienced any of these with our DA40's.The only problem is with the tire if you try and turn the thing on a dime. Oh and don't forget an ASR/PAR approach when your electrical dies on you next time :p

There is always a lot to learn.

It is easy to learn how to takeoff and land a new aircraft, but when you don't know the systems well enough, you can kill yourself. I have 10 hours (stalled multi-training for 2 years) of multi-training under my belt of which 3 hours are in a Piper Geronimo. I could probably fly it with no problems, but as soon as I lose an engine on takeoff, I don't expect a good outcome. This is just one of several reasons why I wont be taking it up solo any time soon.

Jhugz you really need to listen to these more experienced instructors. .5 in type and .5 in the G1000 will not make the student happy. Especially when you have to answer the simple questions such as the essential bus and the electric gyro backup.

Here are some questions for you.

Is the DA40 airworthy with the metal tie broken or missing from the backup electric gyro battery switch?

How much fuel is in the black gap on the G1000 gauges with the extended 50gal fuel tanks?

What is the max constant prop RPM the DA40XL (XLS) can be run?

If you are flying an XL or XLS, what is the max gross weight?

What speed is Vx?

What are the required documents and books you need in the airplane?

How do you turn on the lean assist and how do you use it?

Describe the electrical system.

There are many more questions I can ask about the thing.

I think you should open the DA40's real POH with the yellow supplement pages and learn about the machine before flying with a student. Hook up a GPU that can run at ____ Volts and take an hour and play. Also get someone experienced in it with you.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I got what I needed from this thread...it can be locked. Thanks for the help for those that provided it. I again appreciate it.

Back