Da-40 g1000

30 minutes in a sim (or using a GPU) and a 1.5 hr flight is definately not enough time for a G1000 checkout, in my opinion. I don't even think 5 hours in a sim is a long enough G1000 check out. I have over 120hr in a G1000 and there are still new things I find out about it.

Like I said, depends on how in depth you want to go. Does he need to know how to auto-tune an FSS frequency from the NRST chapter to safely fly VFR in the thing? Probably not. Does he need to be able to deal with various failures and determine airworthiness from the KOEL and the FARs? Yes, and it sounds like you covered that with him.

Actually, we should be clear on two different times for the emergency backup power. The essential bus lasts up to 30 mins, but the Emergency Horizon Switch (the one with the copper wire around it) lasts 1:30 according to my POH. Nice to have, but still doesn't do anything more for you than illuminate the panel and keep you straight and level.

On your second point, there's no way to get an ASR/PAR approach after using up the battery power (30 mins on essential bus). At this point, all of your comms are dead and you're transponder is no longer transponding. (No need to get into a discussion on whether or not ATC will still be able to see you). Once you're down to the essential bus, you have under 30 mins to get on the ground, or get VFR.

-Chris

I don't have the POH's handy anymore since the DA40XL we flew was bumped to another location. Thanks for the reminder.

From previous training, arent we supposed to expect the batteries to only work for about 30 minutes? I would say that is pretty standard in aviation. Now if the Ess Bus didn't work, that would significantly hurt that time...

30 minutes in a sim (or using a GPU) and a 1.5 hr flight is definately not enough time for a G1000 checkout, in my opinion. I don't even think 5 hours in a sim is a long enough G1000 check out. I have over 120hr in a G1000 and there are still new things I find out about it.

I spent a good amount of time on the ground with a GPU and also several VFR ferry flights to get used to flying the aircraft and the G1000 before I even took it IFR.

30 minutes in a sim, then a 1.5 hr flight is plenty if he's read the G1000 manual. It's not rocket science, presumably he's an IFR pilot so it's just a matter of finding out the slightly different way to do what you already know how to do.

That said, the G1000 is a lot fancier than the FMS on the Dash-8.

30 minutes in a sim, then a 1.5 hr flight is plenty if he's read the G1000 manual. It's not rocket science, presumably he's an IFR pilot so it's just a matter of finding out the slightly different way to do what you already know how to do.
If this guy is an IFR pilot looking to take the G1000 IFR, I firmly disagree with you.

I found the thick G1000 manual to explain nearly every question I had with regards to it. After reading it fully, familiarizing myself with the sim and taking 2 flights I would say I was ready to take it into IFR and feel confident. It isn't that complicated guys. It's an airplane.

If this guy is an IFR pilot looking to take the G1000 IFR, I firmly disagree with you.

Setting up an approach in G-1000 is hardly different than setting up an approach in a 430.

You do it once and it you have it.

Having a good scan in the PFD compared to what you were used to in the steam gauges and actually reading the tapes is where the approach gets tough, IMO.
The basic set up of an approach is 430 simple.

Yes, but there are still some things that can trap you. Holding is easy if someone has taught you properly, but GPS holds are not intuitive and if you try try to figure one out IMC the first time it'd be a pain. Missed approach is another of those little things that's really easy when you know it, but not intuitive. Knowing what the system is capable of and its limitations is pretty important, IMHO.

Finally, what you said about the glass scan is very true. The scan is, in a lot of ways easier, but I found that people transitioning from steam gages (granted, these were just PCATDs) to glass were not able to instinctively pick up the scan. They needed pointers on where to look and what to look for.

Also, to be safe in IMC, you have to learn to fly the airplane with failures. That can be a real deal breaker for some people, surprisingly. The scan during an AHRS failure is very very different from what any steam gage pilot is used to, full panel or partial. In the Cessnas its a pain in the butt because seeing the standbys requires you to crane your neck and look at them from a funny angle.

having sifted through five pages of a lot of b/s, and having experience in a da40 xls and a 1000hr flight instructor or so here are my thoughts. if one has any competent experience in a 430/530 and know the general theory behind how garmin makes their products .5 would get you by, but you'd have read up on the abnormals associated with this system. if you know how to switch between gps/vloc and can tune a course with a course knob and can put in a flight plan, the wpt pages, aux pages and so forth are a lot of gee whiz info that one could do without on any given flight. however, i'd expect a cfi to know all of those and more as its really not hard. I look back to the first hour or so I worked with the g1000 and I would say I would feel 100% comfy flying IFR with it because i was only learning tips and tricks from previous garmin experience. (although unless you have good experience with an auto pilot with capabilities of the gfc700 then you'd better have more then .5 of knowing how it works intimately before trying to use it. *knowing not using it is an option)

although some think .5 isn't enough, making a buck these days is making a buck and buyer beware. I'm pretty sure that is why the faa hasn't included any time requirements for a private pilot to transition between single engine airplanes less then 200hp and not complex but required them to become familiar with the airplane. If any research is done at all for an airplane you are about to fly you will know if .5 is sufficient enough to be safe. as long as its safe, it doesn't have to be pretty, and if you want to try to make a buck off a guy, he should be asking more questions like, "hey what type of experience do you have with this?" it would be wrong to lie, but if you told him you have one half hour and he paid you, congrats! if someone is going to spend money, they have to be wise enough to spend it in the right places.

Do I think what you did was wrong? not at all, i'm really glad to see you asking questions and doing the research meanwhile getting some pretty good responses in between the pissing match. I score it a tie at -100 for the three or four main parties involved.

Back