CPDLC and... Cheese

Hey, I'll take the Eastern Europeans any day over Italy. I still, after 4 years of flying on this side, have the most trouble with Italian airspace and understanding them...

Haven't had much issue with the Italians...It's the Saudis that get me, along with the French.

But hell, I feel like I haven't been to Europe in months! Maybe two North Atlantic crossings this year so far.

I can understand the French more than the Italians for some reason. Saudi I have not been to, but been all over some other parts of the sand box, and never had problems. It always amused me going into Tehran and hearing a British accent...I know the dude wasn't a Brit, but he had some schooling from there...

i love the eastern european controllers....not a big fan of the saudi controllers.

I thought you were the master of eating the cockpit...I mean in the cockpit.

BAHAHA. Well played sir.

On the CPDLC system how does it go about syncing your aircraft with the signal that ATC is sending out to you? Is there a code assigned to each airplane that is shown in the flight plan or something sort of like a SELCAL?

BAHAHA. Well played sir.

On the CPDLC system how does it go about syncing your aircraft with the signal that ATC is sending out to you? Is there a code assigned to each airplane that is shown in the flight plan or something sort of like a SELCAL?

they have to log on to the center that is controlling them with the center's address, and the address is something like this: KZWYZYQX (although I think for aircraft purposes, only the first 4 letters matter)

Then the center's system identifies the aircraft by the aircraft's tail number and call sign, both are part of the ICAO flight plan. If anything doesn't match, then it doesn't work.

I just realized, I may make broadcasts.
"Turbulence reports only via CPDLC"

Ahhh... might extend my career by 5-10 years.

"veeeeeeeery very occasional light chop" :)

Sent from my TRS-80
Or my favorite one: "How are the rides ahead Center? We've been smooth since Germany, but now we're picking up some very occasional very light nuisance chop, hoping it's not going to get any worse"

I'm working with a female trainee right now, and she's not exactly comfortable with anything other than direct phraseology, and I thought you'd like this one:

Pilot was third to check in, must have heard her voice.
"United 123 with you FL360, and how are you today?"
"United 123.... uh, roger"
*Long Pause*
Alitalia, thick Italian accent: "So much for that"

I'm working with a female trainee right now, and she's not exactly comfortable with anything other than direct phraseology, and I thought you'd like this one:

Pilot was third to check in, must have heard her voice.
"United 123 with you FL360, and how are you today?"
"United 123.... uh, roger"
*Long Pause*
Alitalia, thick Italian accent: "So much for that"

Classic! :)

Sent from my TRS-80

Or my favorite one: "How are the rides ahead Center? We've been smooth since Germany, but now we're picking up some very occasional very light nuisance chop, hoping it's not going to get any worse"

Well, I hope it's going to get a lot worse so I can turn on the fasten seat belt sign :sarcasm: :)

I hate being asked to ask about rides to start with, I figure if it's significant, our good friends at Nav Canada will let us know. Or I'll just listen up on the freq.

Sent from my TRS-80

Well, I hope it's going to get a lot worse so I can turn on the fasten seat belt sign :sarcasm: :)

I hate being asked to ask about rides to start with, I figure if it's significant, our good friends at Nav Canada will let us know. Or I'll just listen up on the freq.

Sent from my TRS-80
I'd venture to guess 85% of the time I ask a pilot how his ride is, it's to check if he's on frequency. :)

That FMS be nasty.

"I REALLY wish I had a brush to wipe th...OH LOOK! A BRUSH!"
"I REALLLLY wish I had some mints to freshen my b....OH LOOK! SOME MINTS!"
"Man, it'd be REALLY nice to have a spare airplane in the baggage compartment in case this one breaks. OH LOOK! A SPARE AIRPLANE!"

Back