Considering Ameriflight interview; could use some answers/input

I'm 4 years removed from ScAmFlight, but when I was there pilots were leaving for the following places:

NetJets
FlexJet
UPS
Frontier
Allegiant
Air Ambulance (King Air and Pilatus)
Cathay Pacific
Every Regional
Various other corporate gigs (Learjet and Gulfstreams)

I think you could eventually get hired anywhere with the right contacts. I moved bases every year and I'd say AMF was a great stepping stone. I was hired into the Chieftain with 1300 hours and left 3 years later with a Metro and Brasilia type rating, crew experience and 1,300 hours TPIC. I feel like my time there was well spent and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else. The first FMS experience I had was after AMF and frankly, it's easier to use than a Garmin 430.

I hate when others make it sound like you have to fly an RJ to get hired anywhere. Straight and level with an autopilot and full automation doesn't build the foundation of a great pilot. Just my opinion. The best guys that I've flown with at my current gig (AAY MD-80) are former turboprop freight guys, not the RJ dudes.

Right on V! Figured that was you. Just sitting still in the pool waiting on a class date to join you over there at AAY.

I'm 4 years removed from ScAmFlight, but when I was there pilots were leaving for the following places:

NetJets
FlexJet
UPS
Frontier
Allegiant
Air Ambulance (King Air and Pilatus)
Cathay Pacific
Every Regional
Various other corporate gigs (Learjet and Gulfstreams)

I think you could eventually get hired anywhere with the right contacts. I moved bases every year and I'd say AMF was a great stepping stone. I was hired into the Chieftain with 1300 hours and left 3 years later with a Metro and Brasilia type rating, crew experience and 1,300 hours TPIC. I feel like my time there was well spent and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else. The first FMS experience I had was after AMF and frankly, it's easier to use than a Garmin 430.

I hate when others make it sound like you have to fly an RJ to get hired anywhere. Straight and level with an autopilot and full automation doesn't build the foundation of a great pilot. Just my opinion. The best guys that I've flown with at my current gig (AAY MD-80) are former turboprop freight guys, not the RJ dudes.

I'm pretty outspoken on the forum about this. Like every single other field under the sun, those that master it with less are better than the guys who have worked with every resource available to them from the get go. I'm hoping that in general, the "bigger and better" gigs see the light someday... This perceived preference towards FMS, glass and jet time is just ridiculous.

I'm pretty outspoken on the forum about this. Like every single other field under the sun, those that master it with less are better than the guys who have worked with every resource available to them from the get go. I'm hoping that in general, the "bigger and better" gigs see the light someday... This perceived preference towards FMS, glass and jet time is just ridiculous.

^Agree.
I do know for awhile though when jobs were really far and few between and airlines were looking to cut costs; they did seem to go with the candidates with this stuff already because it was perceived that they were a "lower risk" to train than those without "glass", FMS, jet time under their belts already.

From my experience with airline interviews and those of my colleagues at the airlines, all pilot recruiters and those who interview you are looking at is if you are trainable and that they can stand to be around you on a 4-day.

AMF is the worst job I've ever had.

There is a lack of negative information on the web about AMF because AMF Management read the aviation forums and know who we are.
And yes pilots have been fired for putting company info on the net.

I'd agree there's a lack of negative information. Quite a few members here have been with AMF for more than a "cursory" amount of time as well. On the outside looking in, AMF appears to be a straight-forward operator.

I can pretty honestly say that if anyone hates AMF its because they were canned or pushed out. Either that or they weren't meant to fly freight. After a few years are you ready to move on to the next gig? Yes. Will you always look back and say that it maybe wasn't the best job in the world but the experienced you gained was invaluable? Yes. Is it glamorous? No. Will it make you rich? No. Is it a steady paycheck with a very stable company? Yes. Do you work long hours? Yes. Is it rather thankless? Yes. Is the equipment up to date? No. Will you get your necessary time to move on to the next job? Yes. Are the opportunities to move very quickly within the company? Yes. If you put out the effort, will the company go to bat for you? Yes. If you do something really stupid to where you are at fault will they send you on your way? Probably.

There could easily be a multitude of negative information posted on the internet about AMF from former employees if it was that bad. But 99% of former AMF employees that have moved on will say they have enjoyed the experience they gained, but they are glad they moved on. AMF is exactly what you make of it.

I have met several people that hate AMF, then come to find out they didn't make it through training. I could think of a million other things I'd rather NOT be doing. I could also think of other places I would rather be, but thats like every company.

Bottom line is, you have to be wired to do this type of work, if you aren't, you won't last long.

Kind of curious, in the name of relativity, to know what the other jobs are that you've had?

others: 135 on demand pax, freight, 91 Corporate.

P.S. not trying to cause any trouble on your forum, just wish I'd seen a true picture of the company when I was asking around on the internet.

And no, I haven't failed a training event or been pushed out. Though I know many who have and many that caught raw deals.
As much as we like to beat our chests, it doesn't take a "special type" to fly AMF freight, it takes somebody that can't see their self worth or rather it takes somebody that mistakenly believes AMF poor treatment/pay/QOL is what they deserve. You can't treat me poorly and tell me it is part of "paying my dues", I'll pay my dues flying freight but I demand to be treated equitably.

AMF is the worst job I've ever had.

There is a lack of negative information on the web about AMF because AMF Management read the aviation forums and know who we are.
And yes pilots have been fired for putting company info on the net.

^^^ Only three posts and has been on here for almost three months. Could just be trolling.

You want some negative info, well here you go:

1.) Half the schedules suck, the other half are pretty descent.
2.) I work 6 days a week, 24-26 days/month and the weekends never seem to allow time to recover between weeks, unless I take an extra day off or vacation.
3.) There are some difficult people here to work with: ops, dispatchers, mechanics, and even pilots.

WITH THAT SAID...

1.) The experience I have gained here has been invaluable! The pilot I am today is because of AMF!
2.) I gotten to fly to some pretty cool places and flown some interesting stuff. I have been coast to coast and border to border all within a week at times.
3.) Even though they are short; having weekends, Sundays, and major holidays off has been really nice!
4.) I have been gainfully employed for the last 6 years in some of the most troubled economic times of my generation. (I'm 29). When I have had friends furloughed from airlines and fractionals two, three, four times in the same amount of time.

GR and the rest of the management team must be doing something right to keep those of us here employed. No job is perfect, but at AMF my paycheck has never bounced, I've been paid on time, and I have descent benefits for my family.

The company understands that AMF is a stepping stone in most pilots careers. What they care about is that you do your best, do what's in the best interest of the company, conduct yourself in a professional manner, and honor any/all commitments you enter into with the company and leave with dignity.

Whatever job one is at, you will always have people you can't stand, don't get along with, or don't like. You have set all petty differences aside, put on your big boy pilots shirt and get the job done with the most professional demeanor that you can.

AMF is not for everyone, it may not be the ideal LONG TERM job, but I will never regret my time here when I'm flying heavy iron, and I will miss flying the Metro. ;)

AMF is the better of the two freight companies I worked for. The other is either out of business or circling the drain.

I wouldn't say it was a 'good' job. The pay is stupidly low, the QOL is poor, the training was just plain stupid, and they have exactly zero respect for their pilots.

But, the ACP at the base I was at was a good guy, the paychecks were small, but correct and regular, and it's freight experience which got me to where I am now.

They are a company to use to get to the next career step, not a career in themselves. Get some time, get to a 99 and start sending resumes to every King Air operator out there. Plan to move on in ten to eighteen months. Have a 'get out' mentality, rather than a 'I hate it!' mentality. There is enough information available on AMF available so people know what they are getting. It's a mixed bag, but the point is to advance your career, and time at AMF will do that.

If you can find a better 135 freight operator out there, then good luck. I still wouldn't consider it a career goal.

Back