Considering Ameriflight interview; could use some answers/input

You say they understand that AMF is a stepping stone, but then why have they put "ineligible for rehire" on pilots PIRA if they leave for the regionals. Good companies don't do that.

First off, PRIA does not include "not eligible for rehire", only pilot records and confirming who you have flown for. Most pilots end up with a "not elligible for rehire" when they break a training contract, or base commitment.

You say they understand that AMF is a stepping stone, but then why have they put "ineligible for rehire" on pilots PIRA if they leave for the regionals. Good companies don't do that.
Did these pilots possibly not complete a 6 or 12 month contract that they agreed to?

First off, PRIA does not include "not eligible for rehire", only pilot records and confirming who you have flown for. Most pilots end up with a "not elligible for rehire" when they break a training contract, or base commitment.
Ya, that only time that comes up is if the next employer calls them. Not on the PRIA. Although, they have an interesting way of enforcing their contracts. Sometimes the pilot isn't even allowed to abide by it... which could be really interesting if something ever came of it in the future. Oh and the contracts are not even legal in the state of California.(unless they repealed that, but I doubt it.) But that's another bag of worms.

Ha, so an FO has killed someone. Does not surprise me one bit.

Well, that's one way to look at it.

Another way would be to say the training captain was not adequately monitoring the FO. Or that the FO wasn't properly prepared to be flying in those conditions, even with a training captain.

The accident report doesn't say anything about the training captain's fitness for flight. I've heard he had complained of being sick prior to departing on this flight. Obviously I wasn't there, so at this point I'm just spreading rumors.

But given the inexperienced new hire and the low weather conditions, I think we'd all agree the training captain needed to be on his A-game. If he wasn't, how much pressure would be on him to complete the flight? That's the sort of corporate culture I'm concerned about.

I'm not trying to sling mud. I'm just saying, the NTSB reports don't always analyze the subtle pressures pilots face out on the line leading up to an accident.

Well, that's one way to look at it.

Another way would be to say the training captain was not adequately monitoring the FO. Or that the FO wasn't properly prepared to be flying in those conditions, even with a training captain.

The accident report doesn't say anything about the training captain's fitness for flight. I've heard he had complained of being sick prior to departing on this flight. Obviously I wasn't there, so at this point I'm just spreading rumors.

But given the inexperienced new hire and the low weather conditions, I think we'd all agree the training captain needed to be on his A-game. If he wasn't, how much pressure would be on him to complete the flight? That's the sort of corporate culture I'm concerned about.

I'm not trying to sling mud. I'm just saying, the NTSB reports don't always analyze the subtle pressures pilots face out on the line leading up to an accident.
Eh, there's no pressure at AMF. I've seen wx, where I'm like uh.... lets GOOOOOOO! And they want to wait for it to get even better. The only time you end up with 18 & 200 is if it happens en-route unforcast. Also of note is the FO's can fly with anyone, no just training capts. And not everyone is a CFI/wants to teach.

B, I think you are a good guy and good luck with allegiant air, but with all the politicking BS you put up with, I'm clueless to why you are still a AMF cheerleader.

Because I have seen the ugly side of Part 135 freight and AMF is not it.

AMF has provided me job stability and security, time spent with family around the major holidays, and experience leading into the next step in my career.

I try to come to work every day with a positive mindset and a willingness to give my best every day. Some days are better than others, but it's all about making the best use of your time here. Having a goal and sticking to it. I've accomplished all I wanted to here at AMF.

Did these pilots possibly not complete a 6 or 12 month contract that they agreed to?

Correct, it costs a lot of money, especially at an outstation to put an out of base pilot there temporarily. With airline tickets, hotel and rental car costs, and sometimes Per Diem the cost can rise considerably until a replacement is found.

Well that is even worse, then because when one of my friends went for an interview the DO told him that it would go on his PIRA and would be "ineligible for rehire". So either the DO doesn't know what he's talking about or using fear to keep his pilots.
No base commitment, no aircraft commitment. He was free and clear to leave and did so after a two week notice.

Brett B, it turns out it was you and John Hazlet (Both management or management pilots.) that were posting all those good things I read about AMF on APC and who were immediately rebuking all the negative factual information.

Incorrect, I was not rebuking, but trying to give insight to my personal experience here. Some people have entitlement issues, others it wasn't what they expected, and still others knew exactly why they came to AMF, made a plan of action, executed, got what they needed, honored all their commitments, and moved on.

Well that is even worse, then because when one of my friends went for an interview the DO told him that it would go on his PIRA and would be "ineligible for rehire". So either the DO doesn't know what he's talking about or using fear to keep his pilots.
No base commitment, no aircraft commitment. He was free and clear to leave and did so after a two week notice.
Ya, I've heard that as well... and I've seen 3 pilots leave that were treated very unprofessionally. Everyone is free to inform themselves as to what PRIA is. Information shall set you free :D. I think both sides could stand to look at the contract agreed upon. 2 big points in it. Employment at is will, which means either side can terminate the agreement at any time, for most any reason, and the company will make use of that, so there's no reason the pilot can't if desired. The second is there's 2 ways to satisfy the monetary issue. One is to work for them for X months, and the other is to buy it out. If you comply with everything agreed upon there's no reason for either side to be upset, as that is what was agreed upon going in.

B, do you mind if you post how many years you've been with AMF and what your pay is with being a metro Check Airman?
Then I'd like a regional pilot of the same longevity post his pay.

Nothing up my sleeve, I'm curious to who gets paid more.

B, do you mind if you post how many years you've been with AMF and what your pay is with being a metro Check Airman?
Then I'd like a regional pilot of the same longevity post his pay.

Nothing up my sleeve, I'm curious to who gets paid more.

Got hired in July 2006, going on 6 years with the company. With check airman/training captain duties I brought in $55K last year (before taxes)

One is in the hiring pool at JetBlue (no class yet), one quit and went to FlightSafety, one had an interview last week but no offer of employment yet. There is a bid for 2 positions, just wondering if anyone has shown an interest. I considered, but don't want to spend another year here... Not to mention being penalized on pay for being dual qualed on the metro.

I've always told it just like it is on here. The thing I've learned about this industry and jobs in general is that no matter where you are, theres always someone complaining about there company. I've heard Southwest guys complain, Delta guys complain, and don't even get me started on the regionals.

I have my good days and bad days at AMF. I can say that I've never been furloughed and my pay shows when it is supposed to. I've always found opportunities to make extra scratch and I haven't made under 40 grand since I've been with the company. And thats even with my first year being in the chieftan. I always tell people who want to come on at AMF that they have to be willing to move to get through the ranks quickly and that some bases are better than others. I'm 100% honest about the company. Training is good at AMF and is steadily evolving and improving. It was good when I went through it and has gotten a lot better since. I rarely hear of someone who has trained at AMF having problems with any other training program that they go through.

I've never heard of any ill will from management for guys who leave for greener pastures. Thats what they would like and many cases. Why would they want to pay a 7 year guy a couple of thousand bucks extra to do what a 2 year guy can do? As long as you don't bend metal or break your contract they'd happily see you back and welcome you back with open arms if it doesn't work out. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've heard that they even recommended a guy who bent metal for another job one time.
No one should want to spend their entire career at AMF. I know I don't. But while I'm here, I'm going to make the best of it.

I've always told it just like it is on here. The thing I've learned about this industry and jobs in general is that no matter where you are, theres always someone complaining about there company. I've heard Southwest guys complain, Delta guys complain, and don't even get me started on the regionals.

I have my good days and bad days at AMF. I can say that I've never been furloughed and my pay shows when it is supposed to. I've always found opportunities to make extra scratch and I haven't made under 40 grand since I've been with the company. And thats even with my first year being in the chieftan. I always tell people who want to come on at AMF that they have to be willing to move to get through the ranks quickly and that some bases are better than others. I'm 100% honest about the company. Training is good at AMF and is steadily evolving and improving. It was good when I went through it and has gotten a lot better since. I rarely hear of someone who has trained at AMF having problems with any other training program that they go through.

I've never heard of any ill will from management for guys who leave for greener pastures. Thats what they would like and many cases. Why would they want to pay a 7 year guy a couple of thousand bucks extra to do what a 2 year guy can do? As long as you don't bend metal or break your contract they'd happily see you back and welcome you back with open arms if it doesn't work out. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've heard that they even recommended a guy who bent metal for another job one time.
No one should want to spend their entire career at AMF. I know I don't. But while I'm here, I'm going to make the best of it.

Well said K.

Eh, there's no pressure at AMF. I've seen wx, where I'm like uh.... lets GOOOOOOO! And they want to wait for it to get even better. The only time you end up with 18 & 200 is if it happens en-route unforcast. Also of note is the FO's can fly with anyone, no just training capts. And not everyone is a CFI/wants to teach.

My understanding is the pilot flying during the accident was a recent new hire, not an FO, being trained by a training captain.

Oh well, whatever. Obviously many pilots are fans of AMF, while others, such as myself, are quite skeptical. I'm glad you don't feel the pressure I've heard stories about. Good luck to you in the future.

Back