Considering Ameriflight interview; could use some answers/input

I have been at amf almost 7 years. Based in MIA. I was in cvg for most of it. I commuted to Ca when I was in bhm, and mqy (home sat afternoon to Mon afternoon). If you make it to MIA plan on flying 10 to 30 hours a week, 30 being a very bad week flying 5 days. Expansion in miami, who knows? 1 week we are having 15 flights to cuba the next week that's not going to happen.

FWIW, I know at least one ex-AMF'er who flew the BE99 and Metro and had no problem landing a job as a corporate King Air pilot later. Not sure if he still reads JC or will find this thread, but it can be done. Also not all King Airs even have an FMS. With all the computer software trainers out there and realistic avionics add ons available in Microsoft Flight Sim, there are plenty of resources available to learn the differences between a BE99 and a King Air in a very short time.

N8389P check your pm's...I've been wondering who flies that plane out of kopf!

Cal and Jay; right on point guys, I'm going to check it out and see what happens. Can't be as bad as my job at the moment. Thanks guys

From what I've heard, AMF has less than 200 pilots currently, down from about 220 when I was there. Could be a good time to be applying.

New to JC, thought I'd start my first few monitored posts here.

Regarding the OP's questions

1. Would I be able to commute to/from Cincinatti -Miami(that's where the recruiter wrote they would need me)
2. How much does a crashpad/room cost in the cincinnatti area
3. What's an actual expected number of flight hours a month
4. Do you get paid more if you overfly a certain amount of hours (I see only salary listed on the web)
4. Work 5 days always? Any bidding for routes to reduce the number of days, that kind of thing (I'm clueless about bidding, since I've never done that)
5.Do I even stand a chance of eventually getting based in Miami (I read on here about one guy who kept bidding on a station/plane and never got it so he and a buddy left)

1. I haven't been in Cinci so I can't say first hand (the others on here who have posted are better sources) but from flying out of PDX and SLC, you might want to consider living in base and visit MIA from time to time.
2. Don't know this either, but room mate scenarios with fellow pilots work out well since you're gone most of the day.
3. This varies with the base and the run you're on. Most of the numbers posted are fairly accurate. Cincy does a lot of ad-hoc flights which can be good if you want time, or bad if you want a regular schedule in which to adhere.
4. Yeah, usually 5 days. UPS runs generally are Mon PM - Sat AM. There's a few out there Mon PM - Fri AM and other variations. SLC Flies Mon AM-Sat AM but usually you get a day off during the week to make it a 5 day work week.
5. MIA is pretty senior, best suggestion is get hired and put in a bid for Miami, then just enjoy wherever it is you end up for the time being.

I've been around a little over a year, been based in PDX and SLC. flown in OMA and have really enjoyed all the experience I've gotten. Met some awesome people and flown some cool planes. I'll be ready to move on by mid next year with 1000+TPIC a type and my ATP. This is really why people come through AMF. Any other questions feel free to PM (if they do that here on JC. #noob)

I'm mia based now. A word of advice. Cvg is leads to mia. We share acp's and mia is an off shoot of cvg. PST pilots here were cvg based at one time.

New to JC, thought I'd start my first few monitored posts here.

Welcome to JC I have a few questions about SLC? do they hire straight into the 99? How long upgrade to the 1900? Is it a cool base with fun runs? I always dreamed of flying for AMF in Salt Lake.

How long does it take guys to get on the Brazilia? Getting some crew time in something pretty close to some of the equipment still operating in the 121 world wouldn't hurt for us guys still jaded into thinking we can skip the regionals by doing freight. :D

That and I THINK you guys have a brazilia based in Cedar Rapids, IA. Closest to home in the Ameriflight system for me, so that would be my main motivation.

That Bro is based in CVG. The schedule is bad enough that it seems like it is based elsewhere. It is what the customer wants though.

I bet if you were willing to move anywhere you could get the bro in 3 years if you really want it. The Bro bid that just came up requires metro mins which can be attained in 2 years.

I'm 4 years removed from ScAmFlight, but when I was there pilots were leaving for the following places:

NetJets
FlexJet
UPS
Frontier
Allegiant
Air Ambulance (King Air and Pilatus)
Cathay Pacific
Every Regional
Various other corporate gigs (Learjet and Gulfstreams)

I think you could eventually get hired anywhere with the right contacts. I moved bases every year and I'd say AMF was a great stepping stone. I was hired into the Chieftain with 1300 hours and left 3 years later with a Metro and Brasilia type rating, crew experience and 1,300 hours TPIC. I feel like my time there was well spent and I wouldn't have traded it for anything else. The first FMS experience I had was after AMF and frankly, it's easier to use than a Garmin 430.

I hate when others make it sound like you have to fly an RJ to get hired anywhere. Straight and level with an autopilot and full automation doesn't build the foundation of a great pilot. Just my opinion. The best guys that I've flown with at my current gig (AAY MD-80) are former turboprop freight guys, not the RJ dudes.

Citabriapilot, that's real inspirational there man! I am glad I posted, lots of good info and mostly good news. Why do you call it ScAmflight?

Thanks for the tips A8. I've always had the luck of finding a job where I remained with family and didn't have to pay rent, so it's pretty scary to add another bill on top of what I already got myself into.

KLB, how long did it take before you got to come to MIA?

I've got the phone interview next week, then going to move along to the rest of it.

Thanks guys

[QUOTEWelcome to JC I have a few questions about SLC? do they hire straight into the 99? How long upgrade to the 1900? Is it a cool base with fun runs? I always dreamed of flying for AMF in Salt Lake.][/QUOTE]

Thanks dude (I'm guessing? it's late and I didn't check your profile)

SLC is somewhat senior and is all turbine, so if you get here you will be in a 99. There are two 1900s in SLC currently and we have three senior dudes on them at the moment. (are you a current Amflight'er? if you PM me I may be able to be a lil more detailed). That being said, they all have their time and want to move on, just a matter of the right circumstances (family, location, pay etc etc).

SLC is hands down the best base in the system (even though I haven't flown at every base) This is something I constantly hear from line guys all the way up to top management. The ACP is awesome, the people here are cool, everyone does it right and we have a good time. The routes here.... I could take em or leave em, it's the people that make this base for me. Some guys love taking Jackson in the winter to go skiing/boarding, as an example.

I feel like I rambled a bit. Again, its 'bout that time eh, chaps?

Any other questions fire away.

Also +1 to citabria, I'm in agreement with this

I hate when others make it sound like you have to fly an RJ to get hired anywhere.

Citabriapilot, that's real inspirational there man! I am glad I posted, lots of good info and mostly good news. Why do you call it ScAmflight?

Thanks for the tips A8. I've always had the luck of finding a job where I remained with family and didn't have to pay rent, so it's pretty scary to add another bill on top of what I already got myself into.

KLB, how long did it take before you got to come to MIA?

I've got the phone interview next week, then going to move along to the rest of it.

Thanks guys

I've been flying out of MIA since the base has been open. I was tdy here a lot, I declined the position a few times, and then finally decided to take a position down here and settle in. I have the seniority to do that though.

Welcome to JC I have a few questions about SLC? do they hire straight into the 99? How long upgrade to the 1900? Is it a cool base with fun runs? I always dreamed of flying for AMF in Salt Lake.
Don't worry, you couldn't hack it in SLC. The first time you get ice in a 99 going to JAC, you'd be done.

I think ice sucks no matter where you're at. I'd much rather have plains below me than mountains above me though.

Back