Coming up on 27 years aloft

Did you start flying at -10?!
That's much kinder, thank you. ^_~

I'm 43. Intro flight at 13—took half a year of apprenticeship to a swordsmith and shoveling horse manure to have enough scraped together.

Took me three more years to get enough together to start flight training. ~$42/hr for a Cessna 152, $19/hr for the instructor.

Finished at 17, ran completely out of money, left my parents house with a bag of clothes, $50 in cash and a greyhound ticket to California.

It's been a wild ride, for sure.

IMG_1183.jpeg

That’s quite the story, Fox (or is it shark?). Congratulations on the mile stone!

I’m not far behind you in age, but I was late to the game. I think i soloed at 21yo or around there.

Nice, 13 is young! My dad would throw the yoke over to me at that age, but I didn't actually start lessons until I was 18. Pretty cool stuff!

Nice, 13 is young! My dad would throw the yoke over to me at that age, but I didn't actually start lessons until I was 18. Pretty cool stuff!
I didn't have any aviation in the family, and my parents were professional musicians, so we were driving around in $200 cars held together with baling wire. ^_^ I'm always a little envious of folks who had parental influence or help, but I wouldn't trade my childhood for anyone's.

Back