Colgan pilot grounded by terrorist watchlist

Nice.....wearing fatigues and shouting "Down w/ the Capitalist Pigs!" as the door crashes open would be a nice touch as well.

Be sure to thank all your friends who vote Republican!

nice flame bait, BUT

while i generally agree with this statement, there are clueless sheep on ALL sides who allow their lives to be run and dictated by FEAR.

if only there was a great president who had warned us about something like this....?

I doubt ALPA would have been able to do much in this situation. I don't think any group has any power when it comes to the TSA.

Dude got suspended from his job because he appeared on a government watch list.

At the very least, a good contract with the airline could have established a uniform response to that kind of information that offered more job security for the pilot.

Being on the 'the list' is not a factual indicator and does not absolutely prohibit use of the NAS for all people with a specific name. Yet in this case the company decided the best solution was to suspend the employee while other airlines, that have a negotiated employment contract with a union, seem to have reached a workable solution.

At first, I was indignant that a pilot could be blacklisted from doing his job without explanation by the government. But it appears this situation is not unique and the danger to a pilot's career from unjustifiable perils like this can be reduced and protected with a good contract and the support of a competent union to negotiate and check decisions issued by the people who ultimately must consider pilots as a cost of production.

I hope Mr. Scherfen gets a fair shot from either his government or his company to continue flying (and he would be a better person than me to do so without carrying some bitterness). Otherwise, I hope his lawsuit is sufficiently lucrative to offset all he has invested.

I doubt ALPA would have been able to do much in this situation. I don't think any group has any power when it comes to the TSA.

BS. BS. If Colgan had ALPA this guy would not have been suspended, I can almost guarantee you that. There are other airline pilots on TSA's watch-list who still have their jobs (at union carriers.)

ALPA has helped many pilots get their names removed from these stupid lists. Keep in mind that the ALPA President is on conference calls regularly with people very high up in the government. Duane Woerth was on some of the very earliest conference calls on 9/11 and the days that followed with the Secretary of Transportation and other "big wigs." ALPA is very well connected.

civil liberties have been in retreat in this country for years. Remember the sexual harassment witch hunts in the 90s under Bill Clinton? Bush is a moron, IMHO but dont kid yourself that the other side is any different. This is not the free country that I grew up in.

I hope the government didnt screw this up. They probably did, BUT

I wonder if this guy did anything to further his problem? If he is a money donor to a crazy islamist fund or something, then he probably should not be flying. It was militant Islamics that hijacked the planes flown into buildings.

nice flame bait, BUT

while i generally agree with this statement, there are clueless sheep on ALL sides who allow their lives to be run and dictated by FEAR.

if only there was a great president who had warned us about something like this....?

Yes there was such a GREAT president. but as a matter of historical fact, he locked up a great number of innocent people based soley on their race as he deemed (arguably correctly) a threat. But then we didnt have a 5th column with the Nisei and we havent have had another 911.

This is a tough problem that GWB had to face.

Now on the other hand , IMHO the patriot act was just a hodgepodge of crap that the antidemocratic authoritarian crowd had wanted as a wish list for some time. Talk about handing the enemy a victory... Makes me wanna laugh when i hear that lee greenwood song.

Choose wisely.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

Of course I side with the free (and not yet free) people of the world and not whackos who use violence to attempt to achieve their mission/ideals.

However, at the same time I am not going to blindly assume my own government is acting responsibly just because they say so.

So I ask you, do you choose to believe everything you hear or think for yourself? Please don't be like G.W. Bush's favorite Americans and think Fox News (or any other media outlet) is the final truth.

I choose to make my elected officials be held accountable when they break laws. Just like they would me.

Be sure to thank all your friends who vote Republican!

Nah, lots of folks on both sides of the aisle are responsible for this. Dems and Reps alike. R's didn't question it, D's didn't stop it or raise much of a stink afterward.

Sooo....trying once again to get back on topic (my bad)...

What say you Colgan pilots? Many of you have been silent on this one. Is there no official help set up for him?

Sooo....trying once again to get back on topic (my bad)...

What say you Colgan pilots? Many of you have been silent on this one. Is there no official help set up for him?

None that I'm aware of. And, to support my thoughts on the matter, I had never heard anything about this.....until this thread. I'm sure management wanted to sweep this one under the rug. It's been my general experience, if an employee has a problem of this magnitude, the company likes to wash their hands of you. It's super convenient for them....you know, with us not having any representation and all. :rolleyes:

I am disappointed to learn about this guys treatment by the company. At the very minimum, he should be on PAID leave until they can figure this out. Yet another fine example of why we need ALPA protection.

Back