Want to Buy Clarity Aloft or Quiet Technologies Halo headset

pwapilot

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy one of these two. I don't need TSO - just the most basic version would be fine. Please PM me if you're looking to sell yours.

Thank you!

Do yourself a favor and get the Clarity Aloft! The Clarity link with Bluetooth is pretty good :)
I have been a Clarity user. I ordered a Halo to use in a different airplane because it was cheaper. I sent it right back. Looked like a 2 year old threw it together. It was not worth my time to even try it.
The Clarity is a nice built headset.

Do yourself a favor and get the Clarity Aloft! The Clarity link with Bluetooth is pretty good :)
I have been a Clarity user. I ordered a Halo to use in a different airplane because it was cheaper. I sent it right back. Looked like a 2 year old threw it together. It was not worth my time to even try it.
The Clarity is a nice built headset.

That's odd. You didn't even try it out?

I've owned both. Prefer the Halo.

I have only ever tried the Halo. I use it for towing gliders in a PA-18 as well as fly club planes ranging from a PA28 to a cirrus SR 20. It works well in all situations. I like that it's user serviceable in the field. I like that the designer/builder considered the potential problems with ear wax build up and made fixes for it. I like the lightweight and comfortable fit. The yellow color I picked helps me not forget it at the end of the day.

I have the clarity aloft also and like them a lot. One tip though if your going to buy this type of headset go to an audiologist and have a set of ear pieces made for your headset, much better than the foam ear tips.

Hey so I ended up finding a new one on the Halo website (for the past couple days there were none available), so I should be good for now, but thanks for your inputs!

Has anyone ever sent the Halo back for repairs? My right side has been intermittently cutting out. Want to send it back but he wants me to include a check for $100?! Is that legit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever sent the Halo back for repairs? My right side has been intermittently cutting out. Want to send it back but he wants me to include a check for $100?! Is that legit?

How long have you had it? I've sent mine back twice. The first time he fixed it for free and the second time just sent me a brand new one free of charge as it was having the same issue. Both were within 12 months of purchase though.

Just sent mine back a week or so ago because I got the box caught in the seat frame of the CRJ and slid the seat back which ripped the wires out of the box. Completely my fault.

Fixed it for free and sent it back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just sent mine back a week or so ago because I got the box caught in the seat frame of the CRJ and slid the seat back which ripped the wires out of the box. Completely my fault.

Fixed it for free and sent it back.

Mostly off topic, but I've been dying to know for a long time. I know a few guys that use/keep using a Clarity Aloft when they go to the regionals, but I think they all had the expensive TSO version. I have yet to hear of or see anyone using QTs on the flight deck. I really want to because I don't want to drop a lot of money on a new headset when I eventually go, and ever since I ditched the clamps I don't know if I can go back... So in short, does your airline have more lax rules in regards to TSO'd headsets? Or do they technically require it but no one cares and just uses whatever? You can PM if it's more appropriate to discuss in a less-public space, but I figured I'd post a reply in case anyone else ever had a similar question down the road.

Mostly off topic, but I've been dying to know for a long time. I know a few guys that use/keep using a Clarity Aloft when they go to the regionals, but I think they all had the expensive TSO version. I have yet to hear of or see anyone using QTs on the flight deck. I really want to because I don't want to drop a lot of money on a new headset when I eventually go, and ever since I ditched the clamps I don't know if I can go back... So in short, does your airline have more lax rules in regards to TSO'd headsets? Or do they technically require it but no one cares and just uses whatever? You can PM if it's more appropriate to discuss in a less-public space, but I figured I'd post a reply in case anyone else ever had a similar question down the road.
Company doesn't require it, nobody's ever complained about it.

Some places might require it.

I think it's hilarious that you can get the uflymike TSOd. I hate flying next to people with them, there's always ridiculous background noise every time they talk that they can't hear.

Company doesn't require it, nobody's ever complained about it.

Some places might require it.

I think it's hilarious that you can get the uflymike TSOd. I hate flying next to people with them, there's always ridiculous background noise every time they talk that they can't hear.

Hey, thank you for the insight. That gives me hope! It's interesting, I've heard pretty divisive opinions about the uFly. I had forgotten about people complaining about picking up noise. Didn't it take a long time to get the TSO for the original, and now they have a new one coming out for the new QC35s and they have to go through all that process again? I keep seeing ads on facebook for a competitor to the uFly. I don't remember what it's called, and they're also trying to get it certified. Anyway. Hopefully I can keep using them and either no one cares or it's just not required.

Hey has anyone had any problems with Quiet Technologies servicing the headset? I corresponded with Phil via email about a microphone issue and a speaker cutting out. He said send it in. I sent it via FedEx so I know he received it.

I’ve tried several times to email him to check on the status or at least find out if he has it in his possession and he is working on it. No response whatsoever.

Now I’m concerned that I might not see the headset again and wondering what legal avenue I might be forced to take in order to recoup my investment? Looking for others who might have had similar experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey has anyone had any problems with Quiet Technologies servicing the headset? I corresponded with Phil via email about a microphone issue and a speaker cutting out. He said send it in. I sent it via FedEx so I know he received it.

I’ve tried several times to email him to check on the status or at least find out if he has it in his possession and he is working on it. No response whatsoever.

Now I’m concerned that I might not see the headset again and wondering what legal avenue I might be forced to take in order to recoup my investment? Looking for others who might have had similar experiences.

He's not so good at email, in my experience. Call him.

He's not so good at email, in my experience. Call him.

Solid suggestion. Called him. He seemed extremely pissed off that I was harassing him. Says he shipped them back to me yesterday.

Really weird customer service.

Solid suggestion. Called him. He seemed extremely pissed off that I was harassing him. Says he shipped them back to me yesterday.

Really weird customer service.

Yeah. The one time I talked to him on the phone he was kinda gruff but polite, so I'm not surprised. He seemed surprised that I called after not having an email responded to. So I get it.

Love the product, though. :)

Yeah tech is definitely not his thing, at least not email. Does he still have the recording about not having a voicemail and just keep calling until someone answers? When I got mine a few years back, it just happened to be right after Oshkosh or Sun n fun or something, and he was backordered for weeks and I couldn't get him via email or phone. Seems to be patience and dumb luck gets him on the phone.

Yeah tech is definitely not his thing, at least not email. Does he still have the recording about not having a voicemail and just keep calling until someone answers? When I got mine a few years back, it just happened to be right after Oshkosh or Sun n fun or something, and he was backordered for weeks and I couldn't get him via email or phone. Seems to be patience and dumb luck gets him on the phone.

As much as I rant about service-related companies, this is the one thing that would push me back to using a Clarity Aloft vs.a Halo. I wrote a fairly comprehensive comparison review a while back (it's here in JC somewhere - search if you want) and the advantage I saw to CA is that they're a bigger company with a service group. Phil's one guy with a great product and, it seems, not a lot of interest in getting bigger. I really do like the fact that a Halo can be field-repaired vs. other headsets, but you have to have the guidance from the company to do that.

Right now, I'm a low-demand customer, so I expect I'm his targeted ideal. But if I was flying professionally and/or needing the backing of a service group, well, I'd think twice about wearing a Halo.

I agree but I LOVE the sound tubes vs the wires going to speakers. I wish Clarity Aloft would switch to that model. Way fewer shorts.

I agree but I LOVE the sound tubes vs the wires going to speakers. I wish Clarity Aloft would switch to that model. Way fewer shorts.

This, and the price, is why I went with them over the CA. Also, once I had a stage check with a different instructor and I saw that big ugly control box for volume and appreciated the Halo's smaller and more streamlined box. I just looked at CA's website and they conveniently only show you the headband and mic, not the cables and that big ol' ugly box and rheostat. A small gripe, sure, but to me it's akin to those big unwieldy dongles so many people have to use on their shiny new iphones and macbooks. Oh also I flew on another stage check with the same CFI a few months later and he was wearing one of the school's loaner clamps. Had to send it back in for repairs, one or both of the wires shorted out. Unless the regional I go to forces me to get a TSO set, I'm going to keep using the Halos until they stop working, or I get sick of taking the earbuds out and in.

Back