Career Counselor Advise (little different then normal)

flyguy969

Hi guys I'm looking for a little career help here but in a little bit different of a manner. I guess almost like what you would call like a guidance counselor so to speak
A little background on me. I am 41 and have been flying for the past 9 years
TT 3100
Multi 1300
X Country 2700
Jet 128
CFI 1200
I am ATP, CFI, CFII, AGI
TYPED EMB 175/195

My training consisted of pretty much standard what everybody does. I flight instructed for a while as well then a corporate company then Regional.
During my training I've had two failed checkrides. One was instrument that the other was commercial. Which I fully own up to.

In 2016 I flew for a 121 regional until my grandfather had a stroke living in Florida there was nobody really to take care of him so I started to be the primary caretaker unfortunately missed some work and I resigned from the Regional.
Being that I was still on probation as my first year they had me listed as " resign instead of termination"

After I left there from 2017 until recently I was flying for a corporate company part 91 flying.
In the beginning of this year I decided to go back to the Airlines and was hired by another 121 Regional in January I started class in the mid april 2019. Everything was going great I was doing very well and then around the end of May I was asked to go to the flight directors office during lunch.
When I got there they asked me if I knew what a PRIA was or what was on my PRIA. I was honest and I said I did not know exactly what was on it. They said to me while you were in training at the other Airline it looks like you needed extra help during some of your simulator. I said oh yes I remember that I don't remember for what they showed me a copy of everything. After which he said we are going to separate from you. I asked if I could resign they said no. They also said that we will be putting a termination on your permanent record. And that was that.

I guess what my question is for you guys is I was offered another 121 flying position but what I'm afraid of is with my record having 2 fail checkride and now 2 termination ( at this point I don't know if or how they worded it with the second carrier) will I be able to advance in a career beyond the regionals. I'm afraid that any major or Legacy would look at my record and say no way. I'm asking this question because the offer to start at the next 121 carrier will be in August. And I'm deciding if I should stick with this career or possibly move in another direction if I have no chance to advance.
I really appreciate everybody's help on here in the past which helped me out tremendously. Thank you for reading this and if anybody needs any more detail you can ask or PM me. Thanks in advance

Did you see your PRIA? What’s on it that they didn’t like? “Needed extra help” is hardly a termination offense, did your app not match the check ride / traiiing failure question with what’s on PRIA? I’d fully disclose to this next regional your training issues on PRIA.

Did you see your PRIA? What’s on it that they didn’t like? “Needed extra help” is hardly a termination offense, did your app not match the check ride / traiiing failure question with what’s on PRIA? I’d fully disclose to this next regional your training issues on PRIA.

I’m gonna take a stab here and guess that by “some extra help” in training he means that he got 10 extra sim lessons before they told him to resign or be fired.

They had a copy of it when they were talking with me in the office and they had highlighted where it said I needed the extra 3 sessions of Sim help.
I did not know that this was on my PRIA I really didn't know what it was to be honest with you. Yes with the regional that offered me a job for August I told them explicitly what happened and what was on the PRIA. They said to me that sounds like a human resource the other company didnt like but we are not concerned about that

LOL no no I actually had 3 extra Sim sessions. Took my checkride for my ATP and type rating and passed it. Then I passed ioe and I flew for the regional. I was never asked to resign. I resigned because I was missing flights and I did not want to be terminated.

Yeah I'm actually asking these questions because as I said my concern is with my record if I will be able to continue to something higher beyond a regional. I'm being as honest as I can with no BS'ing

Yeah I'm actually asking these questions because as I said my concern is with my record if I will be able to continue to something higher beyond a regional. I'm being as honest as I can with no BS'ing

As far as getting hired somewhere beyond a regional...

Nobody is going to care about your two checkride failures.
If you have enough time at a regional, with a good record and no failures or training issues, nobody at a major is going to care.

The trick is going to be getting hired at another regional now so that you can start building a good record.

I'm not a 121 guy, but enough time and years usually fixes everything.

121 guys can offer better advice about pursuing your next 121 gig.

My advice is do what it takes to keep flying other than or in addition to CFI work. When hiring in the past, if I saw a career setback followed by a long period of inactivity, I would pass on an applicant.

Awesome I appreciate the advice so far. Yes I do have another offer with another 121 company to start in August 2019. That's what I was hoping that of I could put some good time in at a regional and I have a solid record to show that that would allow me to progress to the next stage that being a major

When you prepare the PRIA documents for your new employer there is a box to check that states “Send me a copy of my records.” I’d suggest doing that, and you should get what they get.

Failures happen, learning and moving on is what counts.

Why did it matter that he needed 3 more sims or what ever...what did the application ask...did you fail a check ride or have any unsatisfactory sims...based on what you say is you marked no for 121 and apparently you had an unsatisfactory sim or 2. I think you need to either realize playing loose with the question bite you hard or need to see what can be done to correct this.

I'm guessing there is a language issue, and that the training at the second regional was going poorly.... You need to see what your PRIA says...

Was talking to a retired airline guy about PRIA and this issue came up, why are folks surprised about what's in their PRIA?

He said that folks want to avoid confrontation and it's not often well communicated that a PRIA hit has taken place. He said that one way to possibly avoid a PRIA hit is to play on human nature and bluntly ask whether something is a PRIA hit. As folks want to avoid a confrontation, they often say no and stick with that answer.

This is outside of my world. Comments?

Was talking to a retired airline guy about PRIA and this issue came up, why are folks surprised about what's in their PRIA?

He said that folks want to avoid confrontation and it's not often well communicated that a PRIA hit has taken place. He said that one way to possibly avoid a PRIA hit is to play on human nature and bluntly ask whether something is a PRIA hit. As folks want to avoid a confrontation, they often say no and stick with that answer.

This is outside of my world. Comments?
I doubt that would work at all, not if the outfit has any integrity whatsoever.

What I mean by this is...What is and is not required to be reported under PRIA is a function of regulations and of the statute itself, not the vacillation of the instructor or evaluator. Unsat is unsat.

They did try to tell a buddy of mine, right after he hooked his CQMV, that it wasn't PRIA reportable, and I guffawed, and told him to hang up and call the MOD-Technical, who basically told him what I told him - "Uh, yeah - that's an unsatisfactory simulator session and a disqualifying event." The same goes for "additional training required." It is an unsatisfactory evaluation of your flying skill.

One of the nifty things about PRIA is that it functions as an integrity check, to ensure that you're telling the truth on your application. And PRIA allows an employer to verify your responses to the "have you ever" questions.

So:

In the beginning of this year I decided to go back to the Airlines and was hired by another 121 Regional in January I started class in the mid april 2019. Everything was going great I was doing very well and then around the end of May I was asked to go to the flight directors office during lunch.
When I got there they asked me if I knew what a PRIA was or what was on my PRIA. I was honest and I said I did not know exactly what was on it. They said to me while you were in training at the other Airline it looks like you needed extra help during some of your simulator. I said oh yes I remember that I don't remember for what they showed me a copy of everything. After which he said we are going to separate from you. I asked if I could resign they said no. They also said that we will be putting a termination on your permanent record. And that was that.
(Emphasis added)

Effectively, you lied to your employer on your application in the form of failing to disclose your unsatisfactory simulator sessions, and this is grounds for termination.

To be honest I'm not even sure what's PRIA and what's not. As a new hire we were pretty much told at the beginning that everything was PRIA. SV, PV, MV, LEO. Then as we did each one I feel like it came out that only the LOE was PRIA. Still not sure what is and what isn't so I guess I may as well try to just pass everything.

Back