Cathay Cadet Program

I was flight instructing and had about 1400 hours. The other guy interviewing with me didn't have his commercial yet. They care more about your education than they do about your flight ratings. Even with 1400 hours I was still going to have to go through training for all the ratings again to their standards. Btw, I looked at the handout they gave us and it is actually around $80,000/ year INCLUDING the housing allowance.

Keep in mind, the more experience you have, the more they'll expect you to know. I believe folks with an ATP have to do two interviews and a 747 sim eval.

I interviewed for the cadet SO earlier in the year. The pay comes out to 80-something and thats not even including the 1,200/month they give you for housing. After doing a little research I understood the pay and QOL is not what it was, but isn't that the case for most jobs in every industry. The captain interviewing me put it best, you basically babysit the plane while the captain snoozes during a long haul flight. It's not gonna be fun nor all that challenging, but a phenomenal learning opportunity. Now whether that's a good way to gain the experience your fellow pilots flying the same a/c in the states have is a whole different argument. But top of the line training, a pretty good salary, and the opportunity to become FO down the road, is not a bad deal. If anyone has questions about the process PM me.

Is is ok if I shoot a PM later in the week? I have a ton of questions about this.

Some good info here regarding the new scheme.
I can see how tempting it must be for alot of young guys looking to get into a major airline and fly some heavy jets. However, dont be misguided with what you read about HKG being affordable, and comparing it to $US will definitely lead you astray.
HKG is expensive. If you want to eat & live like a local, sure, you can. That will be cheap. However, if you want to keep a lifestyle that resembles your 'normal' way of life as closely as possible - expect to pay for it.

If you are serious about CX, come and visit HKG first. Spend a bit of time eating and drinking with the expats, then go and eat and drink with the locals in the 'affordable' areas, and picture yourself doing that for the next 8+ yrs to see if you can handle it. How will your Wife and kids feel about living in 500sq/ft?
For potential candidates considering joining on the new scheme, I always ask them how they will feel when they are sitting next to a former SO that joined on a package worth more than double, and whether or not this will bother them. CX pays off their HK$4million unit in under 5yrs, whilst you are making HK$10,000/month in 'housing'...

Dont get me wrong, I love the job and the flying. Generally a great bunch of guys to go to work with and plenty of time off.

If you can see this new scheme as a 4-6yr stepping stone to something better, go for it. Career wise, its sad to see the package heading this way...

Being a pilot for Cathay is my dream job. I don't care about the conditions or the six year training bond.

If I have enough money to stay in a small apartment and eat, then I will be happy.

I wish Cathay would at least give me the chance to interview but knowing my luck, they will interview all of the people who will complain about everything and not take the job.

Cathay please hire me!!!

You send in a cover letter with your app mentioning how you would love to fly that big plane for free and never desire anything more than to live in the Hong Kong projects and eat their version of ramen noodles... i think you might have a shot.

Being a pilot for Cathay is my dream job. I don't care about the conditions or the six year training bond.

If I have enough money to stay in a small apartment and eat, then I will be happy.

I wish Cathay would at least give me the chance to interview but knowing my luck, they will interview all of the people who will complain about everything and not take the job.

Cathay please hire me!!!

Little piece of friendly advice... Flying ALONE cannot make you so happy that nothing else in life matters, it simply supplements a well-rounded life of a close family, good friends, and some good and fun hobbies and activities outside of work. Just keep that in mind when your applying for an airline job, and if you don't believe me. Ask anyone that works as an airline pilot...

Good luck!

Little piece of friendly advice... Flying ALONE cannot make you so happy that nothing else in life matters, it simply supplements a well-rounded life of a close family, good friends, and some good and fun hobbies and activities outside of work. Just keep that in mind when your applying for an airline job, and if you don't believe me. Ask anyone that works as an airline pilot...

Good luck!

+1 million?

Good luck!

:clap:

I'm not even an airline pilot yet and I really agree with that advice. Work is by far not everything.

System Error

The online application system is currently unavailable, please update your application information later.
If you need further assistance, please contact our eService Centre at +852 2747 2200 or send an email toeservice@cathaypacific.com. (1099)

Does this message mean they are still processing the old application? Just curious...

Good luck!

I'm not an airline pilot yet but I agree 100% there is so much more to life than just thinking about airplanes!

System Error

The online application system is currently unavailable, please update your application information later.
If you need further assistance, please contact our eService Centre at +852 2747 2200 or send an email toeservice@cathaypacific.com. (1099)

Does this message mean they are still processing the old application? Just curious...

I am getting the same thing, applied in 2009. Sent them an email about 2 months ago and still nothing.

Hey Guys, just got this a few hours ago... And no, this isn't a April fools joke!

2 April, 2012

Dear Mr. ####,

SECOND OFFICER – AB-INITIO INITIAL INTERVIEW

Cathay Pacific Airways is pleased to invite you to attend our Second Officer – Ab-initio Initial Selection in Vancouver.

The selection process comprises of the following components:

- Interview with both Personal and Technical Questions (1Hour)
- Technical multiple-choice Questionnaire (45mins)
- Abstract Reasoning Test (45mins)

The details are as follows:

Date: 29 May 2011 (Tuesday)
Time: 1300 - 1600
Venue: Suite 500-550, West 6th Avenue, Vancouver B.C., V5Z 4S2, Canada

On the day, please bring the original and photocopy of the following documents with you:

· Passport
· A current resume
· One passport size photograph with your name and application number on the reverse
· Education Qualifications including public exam results, high school certificates, university transcripts and certificate
· Flying Licence, if applicable
· Medical Certificate applicable to above-mentioned Flying Licence
· All logbooks (photocopies are NOT required)
· Results of PPL/CPL/ATPL theory examinations and proof of Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, if applicable

Please note that Cathay Pacific does not provide passage to, or any accommodation in Vancouver for attendance of the interview.

Upon acceptance of your invitation to interview we will forward you an Aviation Knowledge booklet to assist you with your technical preparation.

It would be appreciated if you would confirm your attendance by the 9 April, 2012. To accept this invitation, kindly e-mailflightcrew_recruitment@cathaypacific.com and clearly state your current correspondence address and all contact telephone numbers. Should we fail to receive your response by the
9 April, 2012, it will be assumed that you are not able to attend the interview. Please note that an interview slot is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Once the schedule is confirmed, further information required for the interview will be sent to you via e-mail no later than the 20 April, 2012.

Should you be successful at the initial interview, arrangements will be made for you to attend our final interview activities in Hong Kong.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Monica Chang

Assistant Manager Flight Crew Recruitment
Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd

Congrats!! Been looking at this as a possible option for a few years down the road. If you don't mind me asking, what were your times? And Good Luck!

Congrats!! Been looking at this as a possible option for a few years down the road. If you don't mind me asking, what were your times? And Good Luck!

Thanks!

I think I had 220hr - Muti / ifr Commercial when I applied. Currently a JR here at UND, and am a Canadian Citizen holding a Hong Kong permeant residence card.

I applied sometime in the fall of 2011.

Hope this helps!
d

Back