Cathay Cadet Program

That's awesome, Cathay's been on my list for a long time, although I hear things aren't as great over there as they used to be. I'm kind of surprised that they're doing something like that in this economy.

I wonder what the class start dates are like? I probably have zero chance, but it would be neat if I could get a class for after I graduate from college next May.

Hate to wait to apply, I waited on Etihad's and now they're not accepting applications for cadet...

Based off what I'm seeing on pprune, I bet there will be even more airlines that open up their programs to foreigners. A lot of the speculation on pprune regarding economics seems valid: the only thing the airline pays for is training, no housing etc like with already licensed expats and plus they get you for a contractually agreed timeframe or "their money back." That does seem to be a good deal on their part. Wonder if cadets get membership in the union (Hong Kong Air Officers Association)? Not sure how the labor laws would work over there...

You'll want to check HK housing costs if what you say is true about a lack of expat housing allowance for cadets (it's not cheap)

Not applying or anything in that manner but how strict would they be with this. Just say for an example someone has all the requriements sans the A level science subjects?

Well that's good news. Although I believe every prospective student should work their way up to the big shiny jets, it's great that airlines like Cathay have these programs. Like a Etihad captain told me once "Every pilot should earn their way to the left seat of an airliner however getting on a cadet program is like winning the lottery and shouldn't be passed up!"

You'll want to check HK housing costs if what you say is true about a lack of expat housing allowance for cadets (it's not cheap)
I'm pretty sure they meet housing costs during training (like Etihad), just not after. I believe Etihad had the same deal, but with a rent to own scheme after passing out of training.

Cathay seems like a better deal than Etihad only if based on the fact you have a union. It would be great to have the union support and protection especially being in a place one is not familar with and used to (Etihad didn't/couldn't have a union because of UAE labor laws).

Rumor on pprune is CX will take a lot of cadets, don't know how true that is. Pprune has tidbits of very useful information...if you can find it among the arguments, baseless speculation, and overposting. JC is much better, just need to build up the expat and cadet community here! :)

just curious, but is this something an American with a college degree could enroll in, perhaps one that already has a CFI?

I was wondering if anyone knows if they are hiring for the 2nd Officer position? I did see on their website the info and their mins but does anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Last I heard no SO, FO, or DEC classes. That was from a CA that is in the pool for a DEFO.

I have an AA degree, 1 year away from my BA.

I'm applying now...think I have a chance? :)

No hiring this year for anything but cadets. That could change of course but for now that is the deal.

When we do start again expect the competitive mins to be fairly high. As for the SO job, we have a lot of SOs that have 3,000-4,000 hours or more when hired. There is a misconception for some that it is an entry level flying job and it isn't, there is no SO program just an SO job. If you are looking for entry level then the cadet program is the only way to go.

Yes a few people have been hired and had interviews. Next wave of interviews is July 13th I believe.

HOWEVER

They will NOT pay for your trip out to HK for the first 2(TWO) interviews. Deal breaker for me.

Yes a few people have been hired and had interviews. Next wave of interviews is July 13th I believe.

HOWEVER

They will NOT pay for your trip out to HK for the first 2(TWO) interviews. Deal breaker for me.

Yeah, Delta would only let me non-rev for one. Then I'd have to pay ZED high fares.

Back