Cathay Cadet Program

Just got a email to interview at vancouver... hmm.

Commercial Muti - IFR... and almost enough hours to start applying for regionals...

Not sure if it's really worth while for me... since Im currently a student at UND too... Whatca all think?

*Edit* I'm also a Hong Kong permanent resident too... not sure if that had anything to do with how Cathy picks their candidates..

Cathay > Regional

Cathay > Regional

Hah... true... Just not sure if i want to finish school first or just get the hell out of UND...

I want to apply to Air Georgian too, as I have a few friends who could walk in a resume' for me there... Heck, I want to work for anyone who's based out at YYZ...

Not sure if I'd like being in VHHH for the next ten years... It's a great place but... I don't speak a damn word of Chinese. hahah.

Now you guys are exciting me about this again, maybe I'll finally sit down and throw my hat in. Though I'm well past the cadet program... Oh and Thunder-Robo, a lot of guys have said in here previously that they usually commute from BKK or MNL, lot cheaper cost of living.

Now you guys are exciting me about this again, maybe I'll finally sit down and throw my hat in. Though I'm well past the cadet program... Oh and Thunder-Robo, a lot of guys have said in here previously that they usually commute from BKK or MNL, lot cheaper cost of living.

Oh I wasn't worried about that... I have relatives (that I've only met once) who live there, so I'm sure I could crash with them for a while... HKG's transit system is amazing and there are buses and trains that brings you to the airport... I just don't want to be in a place where I can't communicate w/ more then 50% of the population.

Makes me drool for sure. I just looked on they're website, they want the ATP written complete which is a WIP for me, but it also says they're not hiring SOs is that what you guys are hearing back for since your low time?

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the new terms are somewhat complex. 6yr, 1.1 mil HKD (140k usd) training bond in the form of a forgivable loan. You use this loan to pay for Cathay to train you as a new hire; your level of experience when going to Cathay determines how much training you need and thus how much you will spend - someone with low or no flight time will spend the entire sum while someone with an ATP will spend 220,000 HKD and keep 880,000. That sum may be taxed (probably), I am not sure. Housing allowance is now 10,000 HKD (1300usd) per month. Expect to spend at least 15,000 HKD (1950usd) and upwards for a very small apartment in an expat location. If you are willing to live outside the expat areas housing is cheaper. The new housing is tiered and like before it increases with upgrades to FO and CA. However it has been significantly reduced from what it was 3yrs ago when they last hired DESO/FOs and it no longer has any built-in adjustments for inflation.

For the time being, the new Cadet SO program has replaced the old DESO program which included no training bond and enough housing allowance such that an experienced expat could come to Hong Kong and maintain a lifestyle similar to what they had at home. Upgrades from SO to FO are looking to increase with new crew configurations to Europe allowing another SO, and the US base situation is in a bit of turmoil due to some tax issues, I would suggest researching this further. Hope this helps.

I don't know if it has been mentioned but the new terms are somewhat complex. 6yr, 1.1 mil HKD (140k usd) training bond in the form of a forgivable loan. You use this loan to pay for Cathay to train you as a new hire; your level of experience when going to Cathay determines how much training you need and thus how much you will spend - someone with low or no flight time will spend the entire sum while someone with an ATP will spend 220,000 HKD and keep 880,000. That sum may be taxed (probably), I am not sure. Housing allowance is now 10,000 HKD (1300usd) per month. Expect to spend at least 15,000 HKD (1950usd) and upwards for a very small apartment in an expat location. If you are willing to live outside the expat areas housing is cheaper. The new housing is tiered and like before it increases with upgrades to FO and CA. However it has been significantly reduced from what it was 3yrs ago when they last hired DESO/FOs and it no longer has any built-in adjustments for inflation.

For the time being, the new Cadet SO program has replaced the old DESO program which included no training bond and enough housing allowance such that an experienced expat could come to Hong Kong and maintain a lifestyle similar to what they had at home. Upgrades from SO to FO are looking to increase with new crew configurations to Europe allowing another SO, and the US base situation is in a bit of turmoil due to some tax issues, I would suggest researching this further. Hope this helps.
Great information! Thank you! :) I was under the impression that expat cadets didn't get housing allowances at all.

Any word on anybody that is actually going through with the process? I hear conflicting information some people say its the worse cadet contract out there others say training is priceless go for it. Would love to hear from somebody who is going through with the process.

Thanks.

Ed.

There is a huge amount of information on this program from people involved in it over on PPRuNe....

I was invited to the final interview. It was for this week. I turned it down telling them by phone they should be ashaimed for offering such low pay. I applied in 05, got DEFO interview in 08 but was cancelled saying all interviews are on hold, Apr 2011 offered cadet final interview and May 2011 turned it down.

Such a shame when Cathay was my dream. But im a captain and the US market is returning this year, so I cant leave for a poor paying job. Even people at In&Out Burgers make more and put out a better product!

I cant leave for a poor paying job. Even people at In&Out Burgers make more and put out a better product!

I'm going to take issue with two points there: First up, I think anyone will agree that there isn't a single US carrier which puts out a product in the same realm as Cathay. It's a 5* airline, it shares said status with the likes of Singapore Airlines and Emirates; it's a global powerhouse, and the most profitable airline in the world at present.

It may not offer a newcomer DEFO money, but all told - after allowances, 13th month etc, a year one cadet SO earns about four times as much as a year one FO at your average US regional. To boot, current DOJ FO upgrade times are 2.5 years. This contract pays better than Based DEFO, due to the housing payments. After JFO clearence to FO (6 months), you'll be taking home in the mid 100s. Basic top level basic salary on the contract (with the cadet housing) in USD begins with a 3. Not all bad, ey? Add to this that most SOs pay less than 10% tax, and 15.5% of basic that Cathay put away in your retirement fund, and the 13th month payment, I'd still strongly back the scheme.

Compared to what's around, nothing comes close for anyone with less than a decade's experience.

The criticism comes, because of the experience they used to hire demanded a higher paying contract. That's a debate for another day, but it certainly ain't bad for the target 0-2000 hour group of lucky ones who get through. Their standards are VERY high. Their SOPs are RIGID, and their command course is probably the toughest on the planet. Anyone who goes the long haul with them has earned it, and deserves the rewards.

Now, I understand that as a DEFO candidate, the cadet contract is substantially less attractive than what you were aiming for. That said, the cadet programme is not geared towards folks with substantial jet experience.

I can see why AMTK would turn down SO position considering hes a CA but I think for someone with little to no training the SO program offers decent pay and free training

As a year 1 cadet SO you would earn approx 33000 hkd per month = about 57000 usd per year with 13th month + 16000 usd housing allowance. It's still a good move for someone young, single, and with no experience who doesn't mind leaving for China for 6yrs and probably longer. If you want to go to CX these days the only way it really makes sense is if you have low or no experience. HKG is a great city and it better be considering you'll be betting $140,000 usd that you'll want to stay for at least 6yrs.

E_Dawg is right. The program is great for people who are young, single, and no experience. But even having your commercial multi is good because they have 3 tiers you can enter into now. Applicants with 250 hours and a commercial multi spend half the time in Adelaide, rather than 60 weeks. And besides, if you're goal is to fly some heavy equipment, and get international experience, why not?

As a year 1 cadet SO you would earn approx 33000 hkd per month = about 57000 usd per year with 13th month + 16000 usd housing allowance.

You're figures are quite outdated. The basic pay is approx 36k, housing 10k. Those are the definates. Downroutes - 5k/mo, hourly duty - figure 30000 in your first year.

Essentially, with a 13th month (of basic only), you'll earn about HK$680K - or US$87k. This year, they got an extra 1.5 months.

I may be wrong, but, financially, at least, I wouldn't confine this to someone with low experience.

Year 1 FO - sitting at about 3.5 years in - Larger duty pay, larger housing, larger basic, - about US$130k.

Year 1 Capt - 12-ish years? Larger everything again - over US$220k.

On this, Cx will pay 15.5% into a retirement, along with all other airlines bennies you'd expect.

Tax, on year one pay ends up at a shade under 10%. This makes a huge difference. It rises up to a maximum of 16%.

Note, these are with the HK allowance. Based pilots will lose a good chunk of gross pay as a result.

Yes, you have to expect to live in HK for a good long while. You can't be based as an SO, and bases are currently on hold for FOs, and are generally senior, as you'd expect.

That said, HK is one of the most incredible cities anyone could ever hope to visit.

Feel free to PM me specifics..

Back