Catalina BE-55 Crash

Only problem in TUS, is they’re generally on 30 in the evenings; getting the opposite direction ILS to 12 they won’t allow. Can generally get the ILS into FHU no issue, or NYL, as far as southern AZ, but they are farther.
Like they won't allow the ILS into 12 ever, for GA? Even if 12 is in operation? Is the back course to 30 still in use?

Have to do it when tower is open but I used to have good luck getting Tucson approach to vector me for the ILS 06R at Ryan, even if they were using the 24s. That was good in that you could get a circle to land on either 24L or 33 out of it too.

It was definitely a flow but when we had to do approaches it was usually launch from Falcon and do the VOR into Chandler. After a touch and go we'd be off to do the ILS to Casa Grande where we go missed to then head off on the VOR5 followed by the GPS23 into Coolidge. After that we would take a breather, head down to Tucson and shoot the RNAV or LOC only to Tucson, and then get vectors over to Ryan and fly the ILS 24R. We'd land ave lunch then repeat in reverse with the second student. But I also spent a fair amount of time avoiding Gateway just because you'd waste half the lesson just getting vectored for the approach or doing holds waiting for clearance. I'd usually follow that morning of monotony with a commercial multi student who was seeing how fast I could react to prevent them turning Vmc demos into a full roll instead.

Have to do it when tower is open but I used to have good luck getting Tucson approach to vector me for the ILS 06R at Ryan, even if they were using the 24s. That was good in that you could get a circle to land on either 24L or 33 out of it too.

It was definitely a flow but when we had to do approaches it was usually launch from Falcon and do the VOR into Chandler. After a touch and go we'd be off to do the ILS to Casa Grande where we go missed to then head off on the VOR5 followed by the GPS23 into Coolidge. After that we would take a breather, head down to Tucson and shoot the RNAV or LOC only to Tucson, and then get vectors over to Ryan and fly the ILS 24R. We'd land ave lunch then repeat in reverse with the second student. But I also spent a fair amount of time avoiding Gateway just because you'd waste half the lesson just getting vectored for the approach or doing holds waiting for clearance. I'd usually follow that morning of monotony with a commercial multi student who was seeing how fast I could react to prevent them turning Vmc demos into a full roll instead.

Unfortunate part is that P50 won’t allow opposite direction practice approaches. So if CHD in on the 22s, you’re SOL.

I guess I don’t see the issue with a PPL student not seeing actual in their training if they’re rolling right into instrument. Now teaching someone who is actually going to do PPL things with their PPL, might be worth showing them if you get an opportunity. Instrument and commercial students who never shoot an approach in actual, that just seems wrong.

Did you have the made-up approach plates to Mobile airport and Gila Bend?

Mobile had an ILS too when Lufthansa owned it. It was just their own.
Sadly no, my school didn’t give us that. I practically lived in the stack my entire time teaching instrument. It was difficult to get Mesa give us an ILS without extensive delays so it was just easier for me to head down south to Stanfield. Good times I felt like I was a pro at the stack lol

I still get a little PTSD flying over it in the airlines

Unfortunate part is that P50 won’t allow opposite direction practice approaches. So if CHD in on the 22s, you’re SOL.

Yeah, CHD only worked in the AM when they were on the 4s. If we couldn’t get it I’d usually sub in an approach in Marana or just fill the time with an extra hold or two, most of my students needed hold practice anyways.

PHX approach was always a struggle to get stuff, which was understandable given their workload. Tucson approach was always accommodating, especially mid afternoon when everyone else was on the ground avoiding summer heat!

Sadly no, my school didn’t give us that. I practically lived in the stack my entire time teaching instrument. It was difficult to get Mesa give us an ILS without extensive delays so it was just easier for me to head down south to Stanfield. Good times I felt like I was a pro at the stack lol

I still get a little PTSD flying over it in the airlines
Your old haunt wants new applicants to do a friggin' cut-e/aon spatial reasoning, basic math and auditory processing entrance exam and an in-person interview. I'm just trying to get my three instructor ratings. I'm not doing the entire program zero to hero. This is friggin' primary training. Not a Delta interview. Hard pass! Why do pilot mills have to make EVERY THING so friggin' difficult?

I'll just drop this here for some reason. A 7 yr seniority delta bud of mine (I'm his navy XO actually, he's skipper), just asked me what an LDA approach is. I told him that I won't tell him, and that he doesn't get the O-4 fitreps and E-6 evals from me until he figures it out :)

I'll just drop this here for some reason. A 7 yr seniority delta bud of mine (I'm his navy XO actually, he's skipper), just asked me what an LDA approach is. I told him that I won't tell him, and that he doesn't get the O-4 fitreps and E-6 evals from me until he figures it out :)
An LDA helps you land where the runway isn’t.

One time, after holding and dodging storms, we got vectored for the LDA 26L approach into PHNL. I'll say maybe the one time that my navy experience of doing all kinds of pointless repetitive landings finally paid off. I recognized an enormous overshooting crosswind, as PF, and discontinued the LDA early in visual conditions in order to smartly line up early with the runway (or I guess more accurately, level the wings so as to drift into lineup, and then start my correction to final much earlier than the approach would have). We'd have gone around right of 26R had I followed the approach guidance much beyond 1000 ft. Things that the person in 22F will never know.

Another idiotically-written article by some dimwit bonehead at CBS, and an article editor who’s likely just as ignorant.

“Spy mission”. Really? An armed-Reconnaissance mission is a normal daily military combat mission, thousands of which were flown during the war, where an armed aircraft doesn’t have a specific target, and is cleared to an enemy area to go look for targets. It’s not a “spy mission”, ala some Gary Powers U-2 mission over the Soviet Union.

And “aircraft carriers moored in waters off of north Vietnam”. Do these idiots even know what the term “moored” means? Aircraft carriers and their supporting ships don’t just come to a stop, drop anchor in the middle of the Tonkin Gulf, and become some floating airport. They are underway at all times, launching and recovering aircraft. There’s no “mooring” to be had.

“in an A-7A "Corsair II" small plane”

Corsair II wasn’t a nickname and not sure I’d refer to an A-7 as a small plane.

Back