Catalina BE-55 Crash

Special checkouts to Catalina and Big Bear seem to be par for the course amongst socal flight schools. For good reason I think. And like you said once you prove your competence they’re fair game.
Big Bear was pretty fun, too. I do miss flying GA but I think I'd rather spend my days off on the water instead now.

Sailing. I should learn to sail.

What about the Twin Bonanza? Is it still around?
Oh, yes.

It’s just that I live several states away from it now and have for quite a while, and if I am going to fly on a day off I want to do it in something simple and slow (and maybe that I can have the window open in…or an open cockpit even).

I also live walking distance from a marina now and sailing appears more zen than flying an elaborate twin.

You spelled Piper Cub on floats wrong! :)

But sailing is great too, and your sentiment about flying complicated piston twins on your time off is understandable.
My partner isn't wild about flying in anything with less than two engines and about 76 seats which I file under 'fair enough'. I don't take orders on that front from her, but there's also been several reminders of just how dangerous GA is, and in particular this kind of GA too, recently.

Been talking about boats with @mikecweb a lot of late and he's all aboard for my having a sailboat. We'll see. Gotta sell a house and make some money first, etc.

Last year we did 275 hours, just under 2000 miles and 123 days away from our home slip? Is that worth it? If I used it 1 hour, 1 mile and it brought me happiness it would be worth it.

Dang son. You sure you a 767 Capt? When they say you have to ship packages, THIS is not what they meant! ;)

Uhhh where in the baron?
Somewhere between New Orleans and Charlotte our intrepid colleague got the bubble guts and placed his faith in the old Century IV, took down the vertical net behind the seats, rigged up some form of containment device with items on hand, check bags, flight kit, and maybe a box or two, and went to work. The whole thing failed miserably and fortunately for all of us with the exception of the one pilot in the base that actually liked that trash heap of an airplane we didn't have to deal with the aftermath.

The next day when they encountered each other and the inevitable "what happened in this thing last night, it smells like ass and cologne in here?" the truth came out.

For you curious starcheckers it was 400RP.

Somewhere between New Orleans and Charlotte our intrepid colleague got the bubble guts and placed his faith in the old Century IV, took down the vertical net behind the seats, rigged up some form of containment device with items on hand, check bags, flight kit, and maybe a box or two, and went to work. The whole thing failed miserably and fortunately for all of us with the exception of the one pilot in the base that actually liked that trash heap of an airplane we didn't have to deal with the aftermath.

The next day when they encountered each other and the inevitable "what happened in this thing last night, it smells like ass and cologne in here?" the truth came out.

For you curious starcheckers it was 400RP.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ngSeg21zcM

Back