Catalina BE-55 Crash

Fixed wing jet ops is another thing they prohibited at Catalina at night too. Been in there at night before, but not landing at the airport, since it’s in the middle of nowhere.
That restriction might be due to the Lear that buckled there. The airplane was capable? That rise in the center of the runway is a bit disconcerting unless you're fully aware of it, it looks like the runway ends and you'll be going off a cliff at 50 knots until you crest the hill and realize you've only traversed half of the available distance. That slope also seems to lure folks into low approaches, they have a certain sight picture on final and the tendency is to get a bit low. I never had a problem, but I never fle anything bigger than a Warrior over there and it was always in daylight in perfect VFR conditions.

That restriction might be due to the Lear that buckled there. The airplane was capable? That rise in the center of the runway is a bit disconcerting unless you're fully aware of it, it looks like the runway ends and you'll be going off a cliff at 50 knots until you crest the hill and realize you've only traversed half of the available distance. That slope also seems to lure folks into low approaches, they have a certain sight picture on final and the tendency is to get a bit low. I never had a problem, but I never fle anything bigger than a Warrior over there and it was always in daylight in perfect VFR conditions.

I wrote about that one here…and it did indeed cause the restriction

It should also be mentioned that there was regular daily service to Catalina using a DC-3 and before that a Grumman Goose. A friend who also happened to be an LASD Sergeant was stationed there and was "The Sheriff In Town" and the DC-3 was the method for the residents there to get their mail, groceries and any other goods that didn't arrive by boat. It was not advertised as a quick link to the island because it didn't carry passengers, it's purpose was purely utilitarian. My neighbor also had a C-150 that he kept there as a backup, I recall him telling me the story of him flying his wife and newborn son back home from Long Beach. 26 miles across the Pacific with a wife holding a baby that was maybe three days old in a C-150. Always respect your elders. I met my neighbors dad one day and I understood exactly where his gumption came from. People are built differently these days.

Do you have a link to your article? I'd like to read it.
IMG_0414.jpeg
IMG_0415.jpeg

I hate to be "that person" to say this, but I'm going to:
Flight training standards have slipped to a dangerous level. We're teaching people to follow recipes, to be line cooks, to prepare the exact meal the examiner wants. But that's not enough to be PIC—to be PIC, you need to be a chef. Often the aviation gods will give you filet mignon and asparagus au poivre, with everything in pre-packaged amounts, but sometimes you'll get cow intestines and chicken livers, and you'd better be able to make something edible.

This isn't "old and crusty" versus "new and smart," it's literally knowledge banking versus building a true, professional understanding of a subject.

My students will learn to navigate using navlogs and dr. They will learn VOR navigation. They will learn to use proper pilotage. They will receive more than just an "intro" to hood work, and if I can get them into IMC, even better. If I can take them up for spins, I absolutely do that, too.

The first time you encounter IMC shouldn't be as a new PPL flying on a moonless night, with the sudden sinking feeling that you've lost the ground lights.

Most of my FOs are good, but they don't know what they don't know. They're children of the magenta, for real. Children of the gouge. And the captains they often fly with, these days, are the same as they are. They put up a finger to silence me when I'm calling for a configuration change or checklist, if they decide they must answer ATC, they literally show up with kneeboards and "CRAFT" pads, they write down every radio call, to the point that they miss calls due to writing, rather than configuring the airplane appropriately, and so on. I'm wearing four different hats: CFI, mentor, crewmember and captain. And whereas the weight used to be "Crewmember, mentor, captain, cfi", it's now shifted to "Captain, CFI, mentor" with "crewmember" hanging on by the tail and occasionally making an appearance when I fly with the rare senior FO that hasn't been forced into the left seat.

The reason that things are shifting is that we're seeing the influence of senior captains (or even mid-seniority captains) start to fade away. Most of the captains these FOs fly with have 1100 hours of 121 time after being a CFI, and many of them didn't spend a ton of time flying with the super senior folks, so the inexperience is starting to compound. But it's not just the airlines—it's aviation as a whole. There aren't many new ways to kill yourself in this business, but if you're not prepared to handle all the normal banal ways that people kill themselves, you're set up for failure.
You are an RJ captain and uniquely qualified to assess and judge this.

Welcome to hell, though.

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my original comment/question. Instead of quoting everyone I'll just summarize it in one post. This post.

Humans are who they are based upon experiences, i.e. nature vs nurture. You don't know, what you don't know. Flight training here in AZ. we don't have an ocean for a CFI to show me how to navigate in a blackout situation. We also don't really have IFR conditions either, which is why flight schools love AZ. for our near three hundred days a year of sunshine. So learning to fly here is a lot different than learning to fly in California or on the east coast where you actually have weather. So I asked my question to the group for clarification based solely upon my past experience that I could call upon in my training history. I explained earlier about VOR's as a student pilot, but I forgot to mention that yes, we also did some very brief hood work too. Like a lesson, or maybe two. That's it and afterwards I was told that, VOR work and hood work was just a brief intro at my student pilot level, to be taken further during instrument. So, yes... based upon all of that, yeah I had some questions about @knot4u post. Best of all I got answers to my questions based upon my non-experience from the lot of you. We brought back the old spirit of JC with my question in this thread. Lol.

As @MikeD stated and @tcco94 @BobDDuck probably remembers IFR training in PHX is pretty much limited to one airport for like seven (and growing) "big box" pilot mill schools in the valley, mixed in with the scant few mom and pop pilots. That airport is KCGZ. A one runway airport with an ILS, affectionately called the stack. Where you could have twenty or more planes, all circling around, starting the stack at 8,000 ft. You're not going to get many IR approaches, if at all in PHX airports. KDVT is the busiest general aviation airport in the country. KIWA is busy and getting busier, as a reliever airport for KPHX and it and KFFZ have a growing pilot mill presence. KSDL, forget about it. It's a forty-five min. hold at either end of hte runway in a G-1000 equipped 172 to takeoff there because the biz jets have priority. So you're not going to be beating up the pattern at any of the local airports. You're going to KCGZ to get in RNAV or ILS work, you and EVERYONE else in the valley. One airport. This is the experience level that I asked my question from.

Shark, Shark went further on my point about today's level of flight training. It's all very homogenized. I consider myself to be a very good stick and am often complimented as such. Even @derg has said that I'm a good stick. But I did my PPL at a Mom & Pop in 2001. Fifteen years later I did the majority of my training in SLC at a "big box" pilot mill. I very well might be a child of the magenta line (gasp). As I went from a six pack 172R, to a DA40 G-1000. The flight school that I went to in 2018, they were quickly transitioning away from being a Mom & Pop shop that made all their money doing discovery flights. To competing neck and neck with ATP and growing too quickly and being called the largest flight school in the entire state of UT. They had like four locations and even one in CA. They closed down all the other locations and now only operate out of their original location at KBTF. They still operated like a small shop while I was there though, while they were trying to be a pilot mill, which they quickly transition to almost overnight, while I was there. The disorganization during that transition was amazing, annoying and super frustrating. But to see where they are now on the socials, its like night and day. They're a very smooth running and professional 141 beast now akin to ATP and pumping out pilots for OO like Slim Shady clones in that video The Real Slim Shady.

Originally we could rent a plane and take it whereever. But then people would rent a plane and take it to KLAS for the weekend, then show back up at the airport ready to fly home Sunday and have low thousands of dollar fees waiting for them. They would then call the school to bail them out, because they didn't have the money to pay the bill. Because they were stupid and wanted to land at KLAS, with the big boys and park their Sportcrusier at the FBO. There were also couple of crashes (no fatalities), people taxiing under hovering helicopters. Students flying back to KBTF or KOGD, trying to beat the sunset, from who knows where. At night in placarded planes, that said no flying after dusk, because the strobes and nav lights were inop. Those incidents and many more caused the management to start to limit the places and distance that you could rent a plane. They also designated specific airports in a 50 mi. range that you could go to for x-countries. Again it all became very corporate and cosomopolitan as they sought to emulate ATP, their main competetior in their training. They said their reasaoning was they wanted everyone to have the same learning experiences traveling to the same airports. KOGD had an ILS and several RNAV approaches, it was my home airport so I did most/all of my IFR approaches from only that one airport.

Before this post gets any longer and circular, that pretty much sums up all of my flight training experience, in this post. That said I'm really looking around pretty hard for a Part 61 mom & pop shop to get my instructor ratings. But none of the mom & pops have access here in PHX to a DPE. All of the many pilot mills have put the DPE's on the payroll and you're gonna wait six to eight months or longer to get your ride as a direct result. And pay $1600-1800.00 for your PPL checkride, the last I heard. Yes you read that right.

I want to thank everyone for their replies to my original comment/question. Instead of quoting everyone I'll just summarize it in one post. This post.

Humans are who they are based upon experiences, i.e. nature vs nurture. You don't know, what you don't know. Flight training here in AZ. we don't have an ocean for a CFI to show me how to navigate in a blackout situation. We also don't really have IFR conditions either, which is why flight schools love AZ. for our near three hundred days a year of sunshine. So learning to fly here is a lot different than learning to fly in California or on the east coast where you actually have weather. So I asked my question to the group for clarification based solely upon my past experience that I could call upon in my training history. I explained earlier about VOR's as a student pilot, but I forgot to mention that yes, we also did some very brief hood work too. Like a lesson, or maybe two. That's it and afterwards I was told that, VOR work and hood work was just a brief intro at my student pilot level, to be taken further during instrument. So, yes... based upon all of that, yeah I had some questions about @knot4u post. Best of all I got answers to my questions based upon my non-experience from the lot of you. We brought back the old spirit of JC with my question in this thread. Lol.

As @MikeD stated and @tcco94 @BobDDuck probably remembers IFR training in PHX is pretty much limited to one airport for like seven (and growing) "big box" pilot mill schools in the valley, mixed in with the scant few mom and pop pilots. That airport is KCGZ. A one runway airport with an ILS, affectionately called the stack. Where you could have twenty or more planes, all circling around, starting the stack at 8,000 ft. You're not going to get many IR approaches, if at all in PHX airports. KDVT is the busiest general aviation airport in the country. KIWA is busy and getting busier, as a reliever airport for KPHX and it and KFFZ have a growing pilot mill presence. KSDL, forget about it. It's a forty-five min. hold at either end of hte runway in a G-1000 equipped 172 to takeoff there because the biz jets have priority. So you're not going to be beating up the pattern at any of the local airports. You're going to KCGZ to get in RNAV or ILS work, you and EVERYONE else in the valley. One airport. This is the experience level that I asked my question from.

Shark, Shark went further on my point about today's level of flight training. It's all very homogenized. I consider myself to be a very good stick and am often complimented as such. Even @derg has said that I'm a good stick. But I did my PPL at a Mom & Pop in 2001. Fifteen years later I did the majority of my training in SLC at a "big box" pilot mill. I very well might be a child of the magenta line (gasp). As I went from a six pack 172R, to a DA40 G-1000. The flight school that I went to in 2018, they were quickly transitioning away from being a Mom & Pop shop that made all their money doing discovery flights. To competing neck and neck with ATP and growing too quickly and being called the largest flight school in the entire state of UT. They had like four locations and even one in CA. They closed down all the other locations and now only operate out of their original location at KBTF. They still operated like a small shop while I was there though, while they were trying to be a pilot mill, which they quickly transition to almost overnight, while I was there. The disorganization during that transition was amazing, annoying and super frustrating. But to see where they are now on the socials, its like night and day. They're a very smooth running and professional 141 beast now akin to ATP and pumping out pilots for OO like Slim Shady clones in that video The Real Slim Shady.

Originally we could rent a plane and take it whereever. But then people would rent a plane and take it to KLAS for the weekend, then show back up at the airport ready to fly home Sunday and have low thousands of dollar fees waiting for them. They would then call the school to bail them out, because they didn't have the money to pay the bill. Because they were stupid and wanted to land at KLAS, with the big boys and park their Sportcrusier at the FBO. There were also couple of crashes (no fatalities), people taxiing under hovering helicopters. Students flying back to KBTF or KOGD, trying to beat the sunset, from who knows where. At night in placarded planes, that said no flying after dusk, because the strobes and nav lights were inop. Those incidents and many more caused the management to start to limit the places and distance that you could rent a plane. They also designated specific airports in a 50 mi. range that you could go to for x-countries. Again it all became very corporate and cosomopolitan as they sought to emulate ATP, their main competetior in their training. They said their reasaoning was they wanted everyone to have the same learning experiences traveling to the same airports. KOGD had an ILS and several RNAV approaches, it was my home airport so I did most/all of my IFR approaches from only that one airport.

Before this post gets any longer and circular, that pretty much sums up all of my flight training experience, in this post. That said I'm really looking around pretty hard for a Part 61 mom & pop shop to get my instructor ratings. But none of the mom & pops have access here in PHX to a DPE. All of the many pilot mills have put the DPE's on the payroll and you're gonna wait six to eight months or longer to get your ride as a direct result. And pay $1600-1800.00 for your PPL checkride, the last I heard. Yes you read that right.

You can simulate the coastal crossing to the ocean here too. If you take off out of CGZ, turn southwest and head that way; crossing interstate 8 into the Tohono O Odham Indian reservation, is like crossing the coast to the vast ocean of nothingness darkness. Climb to 6500, you can practice BAI to your hearts content, intercept and track outbound Stanfield VORTAC radials, create your own holds on them to the southwest in the darkness away from the stack. Head west and join the airway to Gila Bend VORTAC. All in some nice darkness with next to zero ground lights.

The DPE thing is getting out of hand. I’d charge 400, and seriously undercut all of those greedy MFers. Rollback checkride prices to 1992. That’s my plan…

You can simulate the coastal crossing to the ocean here too. If you take off out of CGZ, turn southwest and head that way; crossing interstate 8 into the Tohono O Odham Indian reservation, is like crossing the coast to the vast ocean of nothingness darkness. Climb to 6500, you can practice BAI to your hearts content, intercept and track outbound Stanfield VORTAC radials, create your own holds on them to the southwest in the darkness away from the stack. Head west and join the airway to Gila Bend VORTAC. All in some nice darkness with next to zero ground lights.

The DPE thing is getting out of hand. I’d charge 400, and seriously undercut all of those greedy MFers. Rollback checkride prices to 1992.
That sounds pretty sweet, we'll have to do that. I'd be down. As I can bet that a CFI here from a "big box" school wouldn't, because it's not in the syllabus/curriculum. I've only flown at night in the state as a student pilot back in the day. And then a night flight I did for S&G from KGEU-KTUS-KEU. The majority of my night flying was done in and around SLC.

That sounds pretty sweet, we'll have to do that. I'd be down. As I can bet that a CFI here from a "big box" school wouldn't, because it's not in the syllabus/curriculum. I've only flown at night in the state as a student pilot back in the day. And then a night flight I did for S&G from KGEU-KTUS-KEU. The majority of my night flying was done in and around SLC.

You’re right though, all the big box flight schools do the same thing: they work between PHX and TUS, up and down I-10, never getting into some real darkness. Hanging out at Casa Grande, Al Chin, Coolidge, Eloy, Marana, occasionally Pinal, sometimes Sierra Vista. Those are the most common, but it’s practically following the interstate all night. No good chance for no-hood, darkness, true BAI work. Because it’s not in the script. You’d appreciate the workout, partaking in all the oddball training work I do. Oddball only in that it doesn’t follow the same pattern everyone else around here uses, and requires some airborne thinking, judgement, and action. But, it’s engineered with legs and segments that are 6-8 mins long, so there’s time to work things out in the mind, think things through, and not be too rushed. Seems to work out well with our pilots that I have to check, as they seem to appreciate the challenge and chipping off of rust in instrument work. At least that’s what they tell me after…..maybe they’re lying. 😂 .

You’re right though, all the big box flight schools do the same thing: they work between PHX and TUS, up and down I-10, never getting into some real darkness. Hanging out at Casa Grande, Al Chin, Coolidge, Eloy, Marana, occasionally Pinal, sometimes Sierra Vista. Those are the most common, but it’s practically following the interstate all night. No good chance for no-hood, darkness, true BAI work. Because it’s not in the script. You’d appreciate the workout, partaking in all the oddball training work I do. Oddball only in that it doesn’t follow the same pattern everyone else around here uses, and requires some airborne thinking, judgement, and action. But, it’s engineered with legs and segments that are 6-8 mins long, so there’s time to work things out in the mind, think things through, and not be too rushed. Seems to work out well with our pilots that I have to check, as they seem to appreciate the challenge and chipping off of rust in instrument work. At least that’s what they tell me after…..maybe they’re lying. 😂 .
Yep! When I worked at St. Luke's you can see them doing the Bravo transition route, to and from TUS/CGZ, over Sky Harbor all day. Casa Grande, Al Chin, Coolidge, Eloy, Marana. I've flown to all of those airports with my last CFI, before he left to the airlines, except Eloy. I'm surprised that CGZ is still as busy as it is, KRYN has an ILS too. When I was doing my PPL training in 2001, RYN was a ghost town.

It’s really a shame how busy PHX area is for flight training and how horrific it is to receive IFR training there (talking about the options available for approaches).

Made life as a CFII interesting, but if I wasn’t at a school that dispatched 2 students regularly with like 5 hours to keep the airplane (IIRC), I do not know how I would be able to do it (DVT based - so I was up north relative to all the approaches we needed to shoot down south)

It’s not like your normal training grounds.

This is a terribly common phenomenon whereby a fresh PPL takes their partner out to dinner at (coastal station) on a clear day that turns into a moonless night, dinner runs late and loss of control-inflight ensues.
I have no experience with such a scenario, obviously. So using what I do know, if I were in such a scenario, I'd like to think that one would immediately declare an emergency with whatever controlling agency that you're talking to and request vectors to land. Not that approach/departure control would be able to help with BAI, you're on your own for that mostly. But assuming that you can maintain an altitude and heading. I'd think that declaring an emergency would be the best bet to get you back to land/safety. Assuming that you're not so discombobulated, that you can't have thought to do that and also control said plane. If I'm wrong correct me. I'm here to learn.

Last edited:
It’s really a shame how busy PHX area is for flight training and how horrific it is to receive IFR training there (talking about the options available for approaches).

Made life as a CFII interesting, but if I wasn’t at a school that dispatched 2 students regularly with like 5 hours to keep the airplane (IIRC), I do not know how I would be able to do it (DVT based - so I was up north relative to all the approaches we needed to shoot down south)

It’s not like your normal training grounds.

Did you have the made-up approach plates to Mobile airport and Gila Bend?

Mobile had an ILS too when Lufthansa owned it. It was just their own.

Places that pack in one spot really do a disservice to their students. On top of that, it’s 800 degrees 360 days a year, in with expensive living and the resultant drama.

School I once worked for advertised that they were located at a low traffic airport, with all approaches available locally. They owned some apartments and the whole scene was as prosaic as it comes. You could go out, buzz around to your heart’s delight, get all the approaches you wanted at the numerous fields in the area, and even an occasional PAR from the local military field

I’m not sure any of that measurably increased interest in the school.

Did you have the made-up approach plates to Mobile airport and Gila Bend?

Mobile had an ILS too when Lufthansa owned it. It was just their own.

I had a made up RNAV to Gila Bend I used to use. Can you not shoot ILS approaches into Willie anymore? Long ago, we used to get all of our training done between there and the RNAVs into Coolidge. I avoided TFD unless there were no other options.

I had a made up RNAV to Gila Bend I used to use. Can you not shoot ILS approaches into Willie anymore? Long ago, we used to get all of our training done between there and the RNAVs into Coolidge. I avoided TFD unless there were no other options.
Coolidge is super busy now, with trainers from every valley pilot mill, in the pattern, its not uncommon for there to be ten planes in the pattern, for the one runway. I'm not super familiar with Willie, but I'm going to say probably not. It's changed so much since you worked out there for ATP. It was pretty dead out there then compared to now. With 121 traffic, corporate traffic, ATP and UND flight school traffic. CGZ is the place to go in the valley to shoot an ILS. Even sometimes I hear all the way down to TUS too, to try to escape CGZ, if they're not too busy in TUS, with only one runway pretty much.

You can get the ILS into IWA, but it’s seemingly kind of traffic dependent more and more; not seemingly easy as it used to be; just with the traffic load there.

There’s a fake VOR into Gila Bend and one into Ak Chin also

Coolidge is super busy now, with trainers from every valley pilot mill, in the pattern, its not uncommon for there to be ten planes in the pattern, for the one runway. I'm not super familiar with Willie, but I'm going to say probably not. It's changed so much since you worked out there for ATP. It was pretty dead out there then compared to now. With 121 traffic, corporate traffic, ATP and UND flight school traffic. CGZ is the place to go in the valley to shoot an ILS. Even sometimes I hear all the way down to TUS too, to try to escape CGZ, if they're not too busy in TUS, with only one runway pretty much.

Only problem in TUS, is they’re generally on 30 in the evenings; getting the opposite direction ILS to 12 they won’t allow. Can generally get the ILS into FHU no issue, or NYL, as far as southern AZ, but they are farther.

Back