CASS / Jumpseat in Europe?

Most of the European carriers treat the JS as an extra seat for non-revs. YMMV but I know a handful of people (included a spouse) that have sat up from on KLM and AF. You mostly have to be lucky and get the Pilot to say yes as the gate agents usually don't bother or don't know about it.

Everyone I know that has taken the JS in Europe has done so by listing for normal ZED tickets and getting the last seat on the flight. The JS... It is less of an agreement as we are used to in the US as they are not locked in the manner of North American carriers.

They just spoke to the captain and were allowed to sit up front.

Can a Disp for a US carrier jumpseat on British? KLM? Have you done it?
Thanks
Look on ID90Travel or MyIDTravel (two diff websites) to see if the airline you want is in the drop down menu, and then if you can list. But you need whatever username and password your specific company uses. If you still do not have luck call the specific airline and ask them what you do. Each one may have their own special rules sometimes.

There’s also the ALPA app which tells you what each individual airline requires. If listing is at the gate or not… etc. But I think it’s mostly domestic and some Caribbean.

Most of the European carriers treat the JS as an extra seat for non-revs. YMMV but I know a handful of people (included a spouse) that have sat up from on KLM and AF. You mostly have to be lucky and get the Pilot to say yes as the gate agents usually don't bother or don't know about it.
Both times I nearly got the JS pre-COVID were with a ZED, and employee badge. LH I listed for the JS at the gate in FRA intra-Europe, but got a middle seat in coach. South African Airways showed the employee badge and they had me and an off duty SAA pilot up front CPT-JNB, but again they ended up putting us in middle seats in coach just before push back. ALPA app explains everything if you are doing CASS cargo international, which some airline's are opening up again to OAL pilots/dispatchers.

As a simple ramp agent in my prior job I have gotten the cockpit jumpseat on KL Fokker 70 and a wet lease Fokker 50 from Blue Jean Air or something equally silly operating for WF. It's a different world over there.

Just gonna rekindle this thread to see if anybody has tested this recently. Possible airlines may include Iberia/Air France/Ryanair...etc.
CASS is just for mainly for North American based carriers (correct me if I am wrong) but will European carriers recognize it for Dxr's as they may operate to U.S cities?

Just gonna rekindle this thread to see if anybody has tested this recently. Possible airlines may include Iberia/Air France/Ryanair...etc.
CASS is just for mainly for North American based carriers (correct me if I am wrong) but will European carriers recognize it for Dxr's as they may operate to U.S cities?

It's not just for DXers that can take it over there. Just last Fall, someone I know that works in Crew Scheduling was flying SAS on a ZED. There were no seats but he asked the Captain if he could ride up front and the Capt said yes. A close friend who works Ramp for AA and routinely flies to PMO to visit family almost sat up front on an ITA Airbus recently while travelling on a ZED. However, one seat opened up for him to take.

It gets tricky with European airlines. Best bet is to jumpseat from the US on a domestic carrier then buy a cheap ticket to travel throughout Europe. I usually just JS company and I don’t have to pay departure taxes that way

Just buy a zed when in Europe. If there’s no open seats the captain may allow to ride in the jumpseat. You will not be allowed to just list via a company ID as you would in the United States.

Just pay the $60. It’s already incredibly discounted compared to buying a ticket. Don’t be too cheap because it’s not going to work.

Back