'Career change' at 61

BrianNC

As a little background, I wil be 61 in February, always enjoyed flying, but it's been an on and off thing over the years basically just because it's so expensive. Started in '79, didn't get my private until 23 years later at the end of 2001, but then got my instrument the next year. Never really used the instrument, and haven't flown since April of '06. I have a little over 250 hours.

When I say 'career change', it wouldn't be really changing careers per se, as I'm basically retired. My wife is a RN and works at a hospital here in Atlanta. But what I was thinking about doing, since I don't fly like I would like, was getting my commercial and then my CFI and become a flight instructor where I can satisfy my desire to fly and be around aviation.

The question is, do you think this is too late at 61? I'm in good health, work out regularly, etc. How are flight schools about hiring someone who is older? I mean I know I have the skills to do it, just not sure what's out there at this age. I did talk to the marketing director at one of the flight schools here in Atlanta at a Rusty Pilots seminar that AOPA sponsors and he seemed to think it would be a good 'second career'. Although when I called him later and left him a message to ask some questions, he never returned my call. lol.

Anyway, I'd just like to get your thoughts on this, advice, wisdom, warnings, etc, at this age. Thanks!

The question is, do you think this is too late at 61? I'm in good health, work out regularly, etc. How are flight schools about hiring someone who is older?

Well, you would sound to be about the same age and in better shape than the average "career" CFI around here. As for getting a job, since you aren't likely to be jumping ship for an airline in 2 years, I don't think anyone would have a problem hiring you either.

Sounds like a solid plan, I would go for it. Nothing to lose, and conveniently, just about everyone is looking for CFIs now as well. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

One of the pilots in my new hire class at my airline was 60... he retired last year. It's never too late... I'd say go for it and have a great time doing it, you never know where you'll end up.

One of the pilots in my new hire class at my airline was 60... he retired last year. It's never too late... I'd say go for it and have a great time doing it, you never know where you'll end up.

Are you saying he was actually hired by the airline at 60 years old?

Yep... exactly. And at my last gig, we had guys flying '135' after retirement age. Go out and fly and who knows what will happen...

It's interesting to me that an airline would hire a 60 year old when he has to retire in 5 years, correct?

I need a lot of hours for 135. The CFI would help toward that.

Back