C-172 Q

[ QUOTE ]
56 KIAS and 10 flaps gives the better climbing performance so why not go from 30 to 10 instead considering that the difference in stalling speed between 20 and 10 flaps may be 2 knots?

[/ QUOTE ]It's not necessarily a stall speed issue.

Assuming we're talking about a Cessna, that 30º tends to produce more drag than lift, so the procedure calls for getting rid of the "worst" part to improve the airplane's initial ability to climb at all. At higher altitudes, a C172 with full flaps can't maintain altitude, let alone reverse the downward momentum as required for a go-around.

But at each additional flap retraction the reduction of drag also takes a bigger hit on lift.

You can see this for yourself at a safe altitude. If you've done a short field takeoff with 10º flaps, you have probably noticed that sinking feeling if you retract the flaps below Vy. And, in recovering from full flap slow flight you can see the effect if, instead of reducing flaps to 20º initially, you bring them directly to 10º.

[ QUOTE ]
I completly agree with you that they should be done simultaneously Mike, but while the student is still at the rote level of learning you need to get a basic procedure down that they will understand, and then they will work into the point that they realize it really isn't a step by step process but it is one action. The same type of thing occurs with the pitch for airspeed, power for altitude. Works great to get a student the understanding that when they are low and slow they cannot just pitch up to climb. In practice though, it is a combination of both pitch and power that makes you change airspeed or altitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. That's what I was getting at, they have the basic procedure, they learn the "why" of the steps, then can apply them.
smile.gif

My, the number of Jedi's seems to be growing here. Why was I (Yoda) not informed? I feel a disturbance in the Force!

Oh man... I am picturing Tenney as a little green guy with big ears and lots of nose hair. I've said it before... I've got to stop reading these posts while I am drinking milk.

Ethan

I don't touch the flaps until verifying positive rate of climb, no matter what aircraft, or what handbook.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't touch the flaps until verifying positive rate of climb, no matter what aircraft, or what handbook.

[/ QUOTE ]Guess you won't be going around any time soon at my airport when the temperature hits 90 (depending, of course on the airplane, but I'm assuming a simple trainer)

Back