Buying a 172M

I mean, you physically go look at airplanes. I'm not sure how you can craigslist scam someone on an airplane except out of time and maybe an airline ticket.
Did you see where the OP said it ended up being a scam?

I mean, you physically go look at airplanes. I'm not sure how you can craigslist scam someone on an airplane except out of time and maybe an airline ticket.
The same way all these idiots try and do it- “send the money to a ‘third party’ to be held in ‘escrow’ and we’ll send you the car/truck/bike/plane in this case, and if you don’t like it we’ll release the money back and pay for return shipping.” Add in some sob story about death/illness/deployment requiring a move out of state forcing an immediate sale and voila, another internet scam is born.

The same way all these idiots try and do it- “send the money to a ‘third party’ to be held in ‘escrow’ and we’ll send you the car/truck/bike/plane in this case, and if you don’t like it we’ll release the money back and pay for return shipping.” Add in some sob story about death/illness/deployment requiring a move out of state forcing an immediate sale and voila, another internet scam is born.
Ya, but not really. Airplanes are not bought and sold anything like that. No one is going to fall for that scam because before money is even talked about, you're going to physically inspect the airplane.

Ya, but not really. Airplanes are not bought and sold anything like that. No one is going to fall for that scam because before money is even talked about, you're going to physically inspect the airplane.
I know this, you know this, the majority of active users on this site know this. But we’re not the target audience for these scams.

Thank you for the technical input though, I’ve got a lot more useful information if we find another one than I did before this thread.

There was a thread with a YouTube video like not even 6 months ago of someone who fell for one...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tangential, but I know a good-condition 172M in the DC/NoVA area can be put to work profitably in several places right now. I've considered this very thing.

I almost wonder how someone that stupid comes up with the money to buy an airplane.
He was quite the enigma, I wouldn't say stupid, but he was definitely extremely trusting.... But then there's the MAGA hat....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Did you end up buying anything? I just purchased a 1976 172M with 2500TT on it. It's a very clean airplane and I"m very happy with the purchase. I had to spend $50k to get it though. There was a bidding war. It's a VERY clean low time bird with lots of life left on it.

Was that 2500 total airframe and engine for 50K? I'm starting to be sorry I sold mine but that was back in the 90's...haha.

Back