Buying a 172M

I mean in theory, but have you looked at what the empty of an SP or later 172 is? It's ridiculous. Maybe they did save some weight in thinner wires, but 500% of it came back elsewhere.
Interior, primer on everything, and seats that don’t totally blow goats.

Interior, primer on everything, and seats that don’t totally blow goats.
You can makes lightweight seats that don't suck. I mean aviation companies can't. But just about any upholsterer on the planet can.
Actually priming the insides is a nice feature. Too bad most all the older stuff is zinc chromate instead of epoxy.

Well, maybe I'm saying back to you what you're saying to me, but as the current grows between heat and weight your gonna be heavier than you think you are on those 12V systems, and while it may seem the same between two models, i wouldnt feel comfortable saying they are the same weights if i cant verify the seats are the same, the interior souns proofing didnt absorb the weight savings, that sorta stuff.

Even if you're just isolating two specific models, 12v is indefensible for current avionics demands.

No biggy though, buy me a bottle of something expensive and ill change my mind.
Everyone needs a bottle of this -

austr_hel3.jpg

You can makes lightweight seats that don't suck. I mean aviation companies can't. But just about any upholsterer on the planet can.
Actually priming the insides is a nice feature. Too bad most all the older stuff is zinc chromate instead of epoxy.
I’m not talking the upholstery. Im talking the frames which from what I understand are based on the Caravan frames. The Caravan ones are some heavy MFers but they don’t break like the wonderful 70s/80s Cessna articulating seats.

You don't need to be an engineer to look up what copper weighs and to figure out minimum wire gauges. Also, not much in a cessna has a wire exceeding 15 feet or so, so resistance over distance isn't usually a factor. On a 15ft run the difference in weight between 24 and 20AWG wire is about .4oz.

The resistance of the wire also depends on diameter. The power dissipated as heat, equal to current squared times resistance. And if the wire is too thin a gauge, the heat will cause the wire to either break or start a fire (both bad). On an airplane, this is why you have so many breakers and electrical buses - you would prefer a dead short not melt wires, and only trip a breaker tied to that system.

The resistance of the wire also depends on diameter. The power dissipated as heat, equal to current squared times resistance. And if the wire is too thin a gauge, the heat will cause the wire to either break or start a fire (both bad). On an airplane, this is why you have so many breakers and electrical buses - you would prefer a dead short not melt wires, and only trip a breaker tied to that system.
You say dead short, i say impromptu arc welder.

A friend of mine is considering a 1976 Skyhawk but I’m pretty out of my depth with these things. This is what he received from the owner:

High time engine but the top isn’t too bad ... what do you guys think? The pics look really clean.View attachment 45637View attachment 45638
Just a heads up, I know someone that recently was looking to buy a boat through a trusted online source and the “seller” used exact the exact situation as described to your friend. Turned out to be fraud.

Just a heads up, I know someone that recently was looking to buy a boat through a trusted online source and the “seller” used exact the exact situation as described to your friend. Turned out to be fraud.

He forwarded me a follow up email, it’s a scam. These people are getting good at the details but they still suck with the follow-up. Fortunately- it saves a lot of time.

Someone asked about this 172 in an aviation group I follow on FB and several people replied that it's a scam and that the ad was posted on Craigslist in several different cities with different details.

7  Aviation Career Mentorship.png

I mean, it’s a nice step up from a Nigerian Prince in need of a little cash to free up his fortune:

Hi again,

As mentioned into my previous email, we just sold the house and we moved back to my parents, in Saint Cloud, Minnesota trying to move on. We also decided to use the services of a local shipping company because it will be much easier for us. The company is called Brookings Logistics. They provide escrow, shipping services and a 5 days inspection period as well.
You will have a 5 days inspection period to inspect it and check all the details, along with the aircraft's log books also. Brookings Logistics will hold the payment in an escrow account until you make a decision and if you don't want to keep it, they'll refund your payment in full and ship it back on my expense. Remember, I won't receive the payment until you agree to keep it, it's very easy and safe for both of us.
If you are interested in moving forward, please provide me your name, a delivery address and a phone number as well so I can register you as the buyer with Brookings Logistics and shortly after that, they will send you an email with further information.

Regards!
Kristine Berg.

About 12 years ago I received an actual fake cashiers check in the mail for a truck I was selling from one of these characters. All I had to do was send back the difference :rolleyes:

God bless the internet.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time but I appreciate the discussion that followed.

I mean, it’s a nice step up from a Nigerian Prince in need of a little cash to free up his fortune:

About 12 years ago I received an actual fake cashiers check in the mail for a truck I was selling from one of these characters. All I had to do was send back the difference :rolleyes:

God bless the internet.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time but I appreciate the discussion that followed.
I’m pretty sure this happened to us. Still have the check, not sure what to do with it.

Ok, I'll update my post. Correctly gauging wire and using correct resistance values in accordance with 43.13-1B, on a typical run in my airplane the difference in 20 and 24AWG wire, 20 on a 14V and 24 on a 28V system, I chose those because of the tables in 43.13 and the amperage on the heaviest load in my airplane, the radio, the difference in weight is 0.4oz per 15ft. The heaviest load is obviously the starter, but that's only a single run. The avionics and lights have the vast majority of the wires.
Now we look at the price difference in 28 and 14V starters, alternators, radios. You're probably spending something like $100 per ounce of weight savings.

I mean, you physically go look at airplanes. I'm not sure how you can craigslist scam someone on an airplane except out of time and maybe an airline ticket.

Back