Blocked flight tracking and ADS-B

It's an open standard. And unlike Flightaware which gets FAA data on a time delay, a lot of other flight tracking websites (Flightradar24 comes to mind) operate on a combination of FAA feed and 3rd party receivers. Unless they encrypt ADS-B out, or make the mode S code anonymous in the FAA registry or something like that, the blocking will not apply to any 3rd party receiver sources.

It's an open standard. And unlike Flightaware which gets FAA data on a time delay, a lot of other flight tracking websites (Flightradar24 comes to mind) operate on a combination of FAA feed and 3rd party receivers. Unless they encrypt ADS-B out, or make the mode S code anonymous in the FAA registry or something like that, the blocking will not apply to any 3rd party receiver sources.

That is what my research has determined as well. I am still curious to see what an ASDI block would do.

Flight aware appears to be building out its ads-b feed so that it's not relying on the FAA for its data.

Someone has discovered that when you decode the mode S hex code you can obtain the aircraft tail number without referring to the FAA database. It's a 1-1 correlation for US registered aircraft, the mode s hex code contains the entire aircraft tail number. When you register to get a new tail number you get a new mode s hex code as well.

OMG HOW DARE THEY NOTICE THAT WE TOOK OUR JET ON THE PUBLIC AIRWAYS!

Just for your SA from a security/defense stand point.

We would agree important people fly on airplanes... In many cases their own specific airplanes. A person desiring to target a certain type of or specific individual could easily use a demonstrated pattern of activity to predict when that person was on their airplane.

Now related....

Most Man Portable Air Defense systems (I.E. A stinger or like missile) use chemical battery coolant units that time out quickly with specific ranges they are incapable of determining by themselves but with that information (say by pulling it off a smartphone) raise their probability of kill significantly....

No.... The public does not just deserve to know who what and where are flying every second of the day. Same as they shouldn't be given updates on specific cars or people's patterns of travel.

We would agree important people fly on airplanes... In many cases their own specific airplanes. A person desiring to target a certain type of or specific individual could easily use a demonstrated pattern of activity to predict when that person was on their airplane.

Now related....

Most Man Portable Air Defense systems (I.E. A stinger or like missile) use chemical battery coolant units that time out quickly with specific ranges they are incapable of determining by themselves but with that information (say by pulling it off a smartphone) raise their probability of kill significantly....

No.... The public does not just deserve to know who what and where are flying every second of the day. Same as they shouldn't be given updates on specific cars or people's patterns of travel.
Eh, those same people already travel on aircraft on IFR flight plans. If someone has the ability to get their hands on manpads, they can also find out which dotcom call sign the target is using that day and take it out.

These aircraft already operate under so many layers of holding companies and leases and false call signs I'm sure the 1% will continue to find ways around the general public finding out exactly which island paradise they're using for their champagne and hooker "board meetings".

If a certain flight is that a big a deal just charter.

If a certain flight is that a big a deal just charter.
Exactly.

It takes minutes to equate a DotCom to an actual airplane. Come on, MANPADs? Give me a break. The people using this are somewhere between trying to cover business deals and absolutely no reason.

You want anonymity? Hop on your charter company of choice. The benefits of ADS-B across the board outweigh your privacy in my opinion. But I've also been thrown under the bus for saying the military jamming GPS and TCAS is insanity, so I've zero effs to give about this.

Now related....

Replace airplane with the word car and it reads like a crazy person talking.

Again, public place. No expectation of privacy.

Now related....

Wow, that's a whole new level of paranoid. Lemme go call Jack Bauer on the scrambler.

Wow, that's a whole new level of paranoid. Lemme go call Jack Bauer on the scrambler.

I can't go much deeper into the weeds on this without breaking into the information you don't get to know without clearances.

Suffice to say yes the US Military and DIA have been and are continuing to look at live feed real time apps out there like flight tracker etc as huge security risks due to the increased probability for intercept they give terrorists and other non state actors. The fact is you have a system that for as little as a couple dollars gives you capabilities that used to be limited to an integrated air defense network.

You guys laugh, but there are a couple real no kidding incidents that have happened where post investigation people were using these systems to track and build a kill chain.

Of course some of you are probably like "nobody is gonna shoot at an airliner with a SAM, that's just stupid." And then Ukraine....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back