Best Diet for Pilots?

Meh, a solid 2 years of mostly processed foods hasn't exactly done me any favors in the health department.

Well that's obviously because you aren't a manly man. Real men can eat absolute crap and still be all badass and stuff.

According to diet pyramid the number of servings of each type of food we should strive for each day, such as six to 11 servings of grains, two to four servings of fruits, three to five servings of vegetables, and two to three servings of protein, such as meat, fish or eggs.
myplate_white.jpg

5-6 years ago, I would have shrugged and said, "yeah, I get the healthy lifestyle, and that's cool for you, but cheeseburgers, beer, bourbon, wings and anything with a ton of cream in it are what make life worth living." And I would say that while smoking a pack of Camel Lights.

About 2-3 years ago, I realized I could do all of those things, but I was suddenly paying a noticeable price in how I felt.

And then I hit 40. And realized that if I wanted to FEEL good, I had to change things.

For me, the same kind of diet @dasleben recommends is the one that not only makes me feel better, but makes me happy. I say this as a man who nurses a severe addiction to tex-mex - specifically, breakfast tacos with chorizo.

Healthy eating makes me a better person, because I'm a hell of a lot nicer when I'm happy.
You had me until Chorizo,...

Here are the big changes I made. Do them in order, as you may find it difficult to do all at the same time. Shoot for 80% compliance.

1. Cut out sugar. I do enjoy the occasional soda or ice cream cone here or there, but it's only as a treat, and maybe once a week. Hell, I don't even put sugar in my coffee.

2. Cut out dairy. Really, cow's milk doesn't provide the nutrition to humans that it does baby calfs. It contains a lot of unnecessary calories, and for men, there's a pretty strong link between caseins and prostate cancer.

3. Cut out refined carbohydrates. These have the tendency, just like sugar, to spike your insulin levels. Bad juju for weight loss, bad juju for the potential for diabetes, and bad juju for cardiovascular health. Cut out bread, cut out pasta (I know pasta is tough to do... I love pasta. Change it out for spaghetti squash). Stop eating wheat thins because they're "low fat."

4. More plant-based meals. As part of #3, my dinner sides are usually something like kale and acorn squash. Those take up 2/3rds or more of my plate, with meat being the smallest portion. In fact, I'm trying to cut even that back and add more veggies. Opt for a big salad for a meal (with healthy dressing) when you can. Leafy green veggies are best.

5. Drink water, tea, or black coffee. Lots of calories and sugars in other types of drinks. I guess some people would say to cut out coffee too, but we're pilots; it'll never happen. :)

1, 2, 3, and 5 are easy to accomplish on the road, assuming you're shooting for 80% compliance. They really are. #4 is a bit trickier, particularly with meals served on the jet, but do your best.

Using the above, I've been able to maintain 190 lbs (I'm 6'0) without really trying, and I previously always had big weight fluctuations (at one point I weighed 240 lbs). Also, at my last *real* physical, my LDL cholesterol was 105, with an HDL (the good cholesterol) of 74. Triglycerides were a gentleman's 37 (<150 is normal). :)

It can be done, fellas. Make some adjustments, and stop counting calories or starving yourself (you'll never stick with it). Eat until you're full, but eat the right things. Don't think of it as a "diet," think of it as "This is how I eat now."

I cut out 1/2 of my sugar by replacing 1 teaspoon of sugar with 1 Splenda and over a year that amounts to about 1 gallon of sugar. Plus each and every morning I juice...
  • 1 beet with green top
  • carrot
  • handful of spinach, kale and chard
  • cup of blueberries
  • grapefruit
  • small chunk of ginger
  • kiwi
  • apple
  • add a 1/4 teaspoon of tumeric
  • then add 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
Plus after a meal I'll drink 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water.
http://www.davidwolfe.com/1-tbsp-acv-eliminate-health-problems/
http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

Any other juicers out there?

Last edited:
I started juicing about 3 years ago at the suggestion of a doc who told me my BP was creeping up. knocked it right back down with no medicine. My standard recipe is very close to yours except I stay away from fruits (reduces the sugar even more), with the exception of lemon. Lemon, I'm told by the internet and a couple docs, helps you to avoid kidney stones.

Carrot
Broccoli
spinach
kale
ginger
kiwi once in a while
tomato
beet
cauliflower
Lemon
green/red pepper
cucumber
celery

The chia seeds I take with yogurt. What can you extract from a chia seed? Are you juicing or blending? I use a masticating juicer that I don't believe would do much with a chia seed.

I generally replace lunch with the Juice, get a little hungry by dinner but it's worth it.

I started juicing about 3 years ago at the suggestion of a doc who told me my BP was creeping up. knocked it right back down with no medicine. My standard recipe is very close to yours except I stay away from fruits (reduces the sugar even more), with the exception of lemon. Lemon, I'm told by the internet and a couple docs, helps you to avoid kidney stones.

Carrot
Broccoli
spinach
kale
ginger
kiwi once in a while
tomato
beet
cauliflower
Lemon
green/red pepper
cucumber
celery

The chia seeds I take with yogurt. What can you extract from a chia seed? Are you juicing or blending? I use a masticating juicer that I don't believe would do much with a chia seed.

I generally replace lunch with the Juice, get a little hungry by dinner but it's worth it.

I was thinking about reducing some fruit as well. I got my BP down to 115 by juicing. One day I decided to add 1/2 a jalapeno to add a little spice.... Don't do that.

I just mix the chia seeds in at the end.

Chia Seeds....http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/291334.php

Last edited:
Today was my first attempt at making home made hummus. Next time I'm adding more garlic and less lemon juice. Always looking for a healthier option.

13466051_10209604298614991_7341607163276258563_n.jpg

Today was my first attempt at making home made hummus. Next time I'm adding more garlic and less lemon juice. Always looking for a healthier option.

13466051_10209604298614991_7341607163276258563_n.jpg
I destroyed a blender doing that once. Sure was tasty though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I made green eggs and ham this morning. Darn it mayne, I should have taken a picture! I heard the greener the egg the healthier it is so mine was plenty plenty of green. I mixed it with spinach. I also left the ham out for a few days zipped up in zip lock bag until it turned green. The eggs were much better but I think next time I'm gonna add some salt to the ham before leaving it out. I found I had so much energy today; I attempted a barrel roll in a Beech 1900 C with a goat in a boat in the back cargo section. It was my first time. I didn't make it all the way around perfect though. Anyone here know what torque to use or should I feather both props first?

Last edited:
some form of tobacco, coffee, maybe some water and a candy bar…….pretty much covers you for the day, rinse repeat as required…...

And the staple food group...coffee.
  • 14 cup coffee pot
  • Espresso machine
  • French press
  • Cuban coffee maker.
FB_IMG_1468274765496.jpg

Back