Best Diet for Pilots?

Stress? In aviation? Anybody who tells you that aviation is stressful has never held a real job, trust me.

No, just poor eating habits. Airline schedules are not good for healthy eating unless you're one of those dooshbags who carries a cooler around with him on a 4 day trip.

False.

I'll agree with you that the job itself is easy. But there is a lot of BS that comes with this job that is extremely stressful.

Base closures, regional contract BS/undercutting/management BS, threat of furloughs, being one bad event (like 9/11) from the entire industry going to crap, time away from home, etc.

But yeah, block out to block in I'd agree with you. Easy job.

People in all professions deal with anxiety of mergers, downsizing, transfers, etc. I don't think that's unique to aviation. In fact, the additional layer of protection that comes from a CBA tends to make it less stressful. A lot of people live in constant fear that their positions will be eliminated at the drop of a hat without so much as a furlough notice. The only time I've ever felt slightly stressed in aviation was the summer of 2008, when oil prices and load factors were making it look like the furlough line might hit me. Other than that, despite living through the years following 9/11, I've never really felt stressed.

The stress of trying to run a business makes my last couple of regional jobs look like a vacation stroll through the park, and that includes the Pinnacolaba April Fools Day Announcement. It's not just big picture issues, it's the every day hassle of trying to earn a buck.

I don't hold anything against people who drag around food for four days, I really haven't seen anyone do that on the domestic side yet.

But, as a food snob, it's kind of a nightmare.

It's tremendously difficult to find clean proteins and vegetables while on duty and especially on layovers at a reasonable cost. If you eat junk, you're alright, but if you like to eat out by choice and not necessarily necessity, it's a pain in the ass.

But for me to think of three to five dinners, three to five lunches, freeze it, and keep it safely refrigerated isn't going to happen. I simply refuse to eat out of a tuna packet (gross) or eat like a middle schooler for what amounts to be a majority of my professional life on the road.

I don't hold anything against people who drag around food for four days, I really haven't seen anyone do that on the domestic side yet.

But, as a food snob, it's kind of a nightmare.

It's tremendously difficult to find clean proteins and vegetables while on duty and especially on layovers at a reasonable cost. If you eat junk, you're alright, but if you like to eat out by choice and not necessarily necessity, it's a pain in the ass.

But for me to think of three to five dinners, three to five lunches, freeze it, and keep it safely refrigerated isn't going to happen. I simply refuse to eat out of a tuna packet (gross) or eat like a middle schooler for what amounts to be a majority of my professional life on the road.

Exactly why I don't count per diem as income.

Here are the big changes I made. Do them in order, as you may find it difficult to do all at the same time. Shoot for 80% compliance.

1. Cut out sugar. I do enjoy the occasional soda or ice cream cone here or there, but it's only as a treat, and maybe once a week. Hell, I don't even put sugar in my coffee.

2. Cut out dairy. Really, cow's milk doesn't provide the nutrition to humans that it does baby calfs. It contains a lot of unnecessary calories, and for men, there's a pretty strong link between caseins and prostate cancer.

3. Cut out refined carbohydrates. These have the tendency, just like sugar, to spike your insulin levels. Bad juju for weight loss, bad juju for the potential for diabetes, and bad juju for cardiovascular health. Cut out bread, cut out pasta (I know pasta is tough to do... I love pasta. Change it out for spaghetti squash). Stop eating wheat thins because they're "low fat."

4. More plant-based meals. As part of #3, my dinner sides are usually something like kale and acorn squash. Those take up 2/3rds or more of my plate, with meat being the smallest portion. In fact, I'm trying to cut even that back and add more veggies. Opt for a big salad for a meal (with healthy dressing) when you can. Leafy green veggies are best.

5. Drink water, tea, or black coffee. Lots of calories and sugars in other types of drinks. I guess some people would say to cut out coffee too, but we're pilots; it'll never happen. :)

1, 2, 3, and 5 are easy to accomplish on the road, assuming you're shooting for 80% compliance. They really are. #4 is a bit trickier, particularly with meals served on the jet, but do your best.

Using the above, I've been able to maintain 190 lbs (I'm 6'0) without really trying, and I previously always had big weight fluctuations (at one point I weighed 240 lbs). Also, at my last *real* physical, my LDL cholesterol was 105, with an HDL (the good cholesterol) of 74. Triglycerides were a gentleman's 37 (<150 is normal). :)

It can be done, fellas. Make some adjustments, and stop counting calories or starving yourself (you'll never stick with it). Eat until you're full, but eat the right things. Don't think of it as a "diet," think of it as "This is how I eat now."

I tried your way several times and failed miserably. I simply can't give up the things that you suggest giving up. That wouldn't be a life worth living.

Instead, I do what you say not to do: I count calories. A simple math problem. As long as the calories burned recorded on my Body Media wearable device is higher than the calories eaten, I'm losing weight. Works wonders. I still eat all of the same foods, I just learn to eat a little less of them to keep the equation where I need it to have a net loss of calories. It's pretty easy to stick with something if you're not trying to completely deny yourself something that you really want.

Oh, and give up flying for a living. That crap is hell for a diet.

Here are the big changes I made. Do them in order, as you may find it difficult to do all at the same time. Shoot for 80% compliance.

1. Cut out sugar. I do enjoy the occasional soda or ice cream cone here or there, but it's only as a treat, and maybe once a week. Hell, I don't even put sugar in my coffee.

2. Cut out dairy. Really, cow's milk doesn't provide the nutrition to humans that it does baby calfs. It contains a lot of unnecessary calories, and for men, there's a pretty strong link between caseins and prostate cancer.

3. Cut out refined carbohydrates. These have the tendency, just like sugar, to spike your insulin levels. Bad juju for weight loss, bad juju for the potential for diabetes, and bad juju for cardiovascular health. Cut out bread, cut out pasta (I know pasta is tough to do... I love pasta. Change it out for spaghetti squash). Stop eating wheat thins because they're "low fat."

4. More plant-based meals. As part of #3, my dinner sides are usually something like kale and acorn squash. Those take up 2/3rds or more of my plate, with meat being the smallest portion. In fact, I'm trying to cut even that back and add more veggies. Opt for a big salad for a meal (with healthy dressing) when you can. Leafy green veggies are best.

5. Drink water, tea, or black coffee. Lots of calories and sugars in other types of drinks. I guess some people would say to cut out coffee too, but we're pilots; it'll never happen. :)

1, 2, 3, and 5 are easy to accomplish on the road, assuming you're shooting for 80% compliance. They really are. #4 is a bit trickier, particularly with meals served on the jet, but do your best.

Using the above, I've been able to maintain 190 lbs (I'm 6'0) without really trying, and I previously always had big weight fluctuations (at one point I weighed 240 lbs). Also, at my last *real* physical, my LDL cholesterol was 105, with an HDL (the good cholesterol) of 74. Triglycerides were a gentleman's 37 (<150 is normal). :)

It can be done, fellas. Make some adjustments, and stop counting calories or starving yourself (you'll never stick with it). Eat until you're full, but eat the right things. Don't think of it as a "diet," think of it as "This is how I eat now."
This is pretty much what I eat as well. With the exception of the milk. I probably drink a gallon ever 2 weeks and it's going to stay that way. I'm 6'1 and 190lbs and that pretty much never changes. I could probably look better if I hit the gym some more but there's other fun things to do.

I tried your way several times and failed miserably. I simply can't give up the things that you suggest giving up. That wouldn't be a life worth living.

That's why I say don't give it all up at once. Ease into it as you go. And really, life is way better once you get rid of all the junk. I maintain a healthy weight, have no real issues other than borderline HBP (which I'm working on, but it's also genetic for me), have lots of energy, have excellent blood work, and really have no craving for junk food. And yes, I still eat cheeseburgers and tacos from time to time, but 80%+ of my meals abide by what I've discussed in my previous post. It's worth it, and the best part? I eat as much as I want. If I'm hungry, I eat until I'm full. It's pretty sweet.

And really, weight is only part of the problem. I can't eat two 800 calorie cheeseburgers each day (not that you do) and claim that it's okay because the calories only add up to 1600. What you're putting in your body is important, too. Actually, it's the most important thing, and you may be malnourished and not even know it. In fact, I highly recommend the book "Eat to Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. Lots of peer-reviewed evidence that counting calories is a fool's errand, and that what's truly important (not just for weight loss, but disease prevention down the road) is a micronutrient (and fiber)-rich diet of more veggies, less meat.

It's up to you, though. If eating enjoyable crap (but counting the calories of that enjoyable crap) is worth early heart disease or diabetes down the road, then by all means, go for it. But, for longevity and an enjoyable, active life into your 40s and beyond, look into it.

That's like jerking off every day but never getting laid. Sure, you're getting off, but not really. ;)
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but these days I enjoy loading a plate up with good veggies and finishing it off with fruit for dessert. :)

Crap, am I turning into this guy?

Why don't you just go out on the lawn and graze for a while? Sounds about as tasty.
Totally tasty. Still, do yourself a favor and check out that book I recommended. If you want real change, you need to make it happen.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but these days I enjoy loading a plate up with good veggies and finishing it off with fruit for dessert. :)

Crap, am I turning into this guy?

It's weird how your tastes can change, but I'll pass a burger every day for some grilled asparagus. Steamed broccoli is way tastier than fries or rice. In fact if it's dark green, it's probably really good.

... now let me go pull this lamb leg out of the over, lol.

It's weird how your tastes can change, but I'll pass a burger every day for some grilled asparagus. Steamed broccoli is way tastier than fries or rice. In fact if it's dark green, it's probably really good.

... now let me go pull this lamb leg out of the over, lol.
Ha! Well, I live in San Diego... I'd never give up Mexican food. :)

I just eat it a lot less, and it's usually after I spent 2-3 hours paddling a surfboard. I don't feel too bad about that.

But yeah, start making dietary changes, and your taste for junk food goes away after a while.

Back