Best Diet for Pilots?

I'll throw my 2 cents in. If you haven't tried a low carb diet, do some research before you start and give it a go. My experience with it was a real eye opener. A few caveats: you have to be pretty religious about it. "Cheating" a few times a week will doom the effort.

The Pros: you'll lose weight like crazy, especially if you are male. Within several days of starting it, you have uncanny clarity of thought. No joke. Make sure you consume 2.5-3.5 g of salt. If you don't you'll get fatigued, or the "Atkins flu".

Cons: you have to swear off sweets, rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, starchy vegetables, most fruit. Eat none of it.

Target a caloric intake similar to this:
80% Fat
15% protein
5% carbs

Yes, you read correctly. No, you won't clog your arteries.

Search: paleo, Atkins, Gary Taubes, Stephen Phinney, LCHF, Jimmy Moore, ketogenic diet.

Ever wonder why you get hungry between meals? It's because your fat is stored away and your elevated insulin levels have it locked away so you can't use it.

Ok, I know that all sounds like lunacy, but it works. Bacon and eggs will be your new best friend.

I'm bringing this thread back. I've the no/low carb thing. It does really work. I tried no sugar for 2 weeks. My uniform blazer could fit properly after about 5 days! But then I fall off the band wagon for a bit. No one in this thread has mentioned alcohol though. I love my craft brews at the local brewery but they are loaded with carbs. It seems like I start my low carb eating again, I get that crew that always wants to go out to drink and eat. There's always eye candy too, so I can't say no of course.

So what do you guy eat when all you can get is airport food? ORD isn't exactly the best place for airport food and I get tired of the same old places/meals over and over again. When I'm sick of that I start venturing out and eating the carbs again.

I'm bringing this thread back. I've the no/low carb thing. It does really work. I tried no sugar for 2 weeks. My uniform blazer could fit properly after about 5 days! But then I fall off the band wagon for a bit. No one in this thread has mentioned alcohol though. I love my craft brews at the local brewery but they are loaded with carbs. It seems like I start my low carb eating again, I get that crew that always wants to go out to drink and eat. There's always eye candy too, so I can't say no of course.

So what do you guy eat when all you can get is airport food? ORD isn't exactly the best place for airport food and I get tired of the same old places/meals over and over again. When I'm sick of that I start venturing out and eating the carbs again.

If you get tired of the same meals then eating healthy is going to be very hard for you. There's a lot of healthy food, but most of it isn't readily available in airports/hotels.

Going to have to bring food on your trips. I spend 3-4 hours before a trip cooking, portioning and bagging 4 meals a day for however long I'm gone. Pain in the ass but worth it.

I lost 50 lbs over two years. 5'9". I was 195 now I'm 145.

Bring almost all my own food. Don't count calories but am aware of what I eat. When eating out I traditionally get a turkey burger with salad and balsamic vinaigrette dressing. On a 4-day now and I won't buy a thing out.

Exercise is important when losing weight. Do weights skip a day do cardio. Hard cardio not this walk for an hour stuff. 20-30 mins is all you need. Aim to burn around 500 cal.

I don't do low carb but have reduced the carbs that I eat. IE don't eat all pasta. At home we will have wheat pasta but cook broccoli/zucchini/tomatoes and put it in the pasta as a "filler". Normal serving of pasta is 56 grams, aim for around 45, then fill with veggies.

I have a sweet tooth, that is my downfall, but it can still be done even while eating sweets. Everything in moderation.

Low carb is no way to live. Your body needs carbs. It's energy. I suppose it's fine for a short time period. But sustainable long term? Personally I don't consume alcohol.

Just had my blood pressure two days ago. 98/59 heartrate 51. Cholesterol 124. I eat a dozen eggs a week!

Anybody have any points on how to do cost effective low carb diet on the road? I commute and I'm really wary about bringing 3-4 days of meat and ending up puking my guts out right around day 2 from food poisoning.

Anybody have any points on how to do cost effective low carb diet on the road? I commute and I'm really wary about bringing 3-4 days of meat and ending up puking my guts out right around day 2 from food poisoning.

Fasting at least 2 of 4 days on the road works for me. Cost effective, and it keeps you from eating junk. You can usually find breakfast food near every hotel. On the days I eat, a couple omelettes and a boat load of bacon keeps me cruising through the day if I can't find anything healthy at the airport. It's all about your mindset..... Our jobs are very sedentary, so we don't need to fuel up as much as we think.

Nuts, beef jerky, avocados. Can eat pretty much any fast food just take out the bread (and other carbs) and watch out for sugar in sauces.

"It's a common occurrence, and passengers (and crews) cannot underestimate how important it is to drink non-alcoholic and non-carbonated beverages while on-board the aircraft. The body dehydrates VERY quickly once the cabin is pressurized, and quite bluntly, your feces itself "dries" up and hardens within your bowels, .... Also, dehydration explains why many pax (and crew) feel exhausted and drained at the end of a long-haul flight.

In short, the next time you fly, drink PLENTY of water and fruit juices and you should be fine. You may end up urinating quite a bit, but that is much preferable than to suffer the discomfort and effects of dehydration. Also, ensure you get out of your seat and allow your blood to circulate, especially on long haul trans-atlantic or trans-pacific legs. Thrombosis is a very serious issue, and you absolutely MUST walk around the cabin or stand up for a minumum of 20 minutes every 2 hours or so. More, if you can do so."
taken from a websearch.

I see alot of energy spent on taking care of the body and maximizing its health and performance. Which is great.

But what about the mind? Ive been into nutritional supplements that are specifically geared towards improving cognitive function, neuroplasticity, adrenal support, memory, focus, stress management, and learning. Pretty much all the things we need on a daily basis.

It started after consulting a nutritionist friend in initial 121 training 3 years ago with 10pm-2am SIMs... "hey how can i make sure I am at 100% brain function at odd hours of the day." 3 years later I still take them religiously as I notice that my performance in the plane degrades when I don't take them. Ive turned them onto friends in the 121 world with positive results as well.

Ive considered dedicating a new thread to this topic as I, and my nutritionist friend, have taken an interest in this niche topic. Figured I would run it through here first though. If enough people are interested Ive considered putting together a website with nutritional supplements specifically geared towards this line of work.

"hey how can i make sure I am at 100% brain function at odd hours of the day."
maybe just simply Hydration.
Effects of Hydration on Cognitive Function of Pilots

ABSTRACT
The objective of this study was to examine the effect of fluid intake and possible dehydration on cognitive flight performance of pilots. A repeated-measures, counterbalanced, mixed study design was used to examine differences in working memory, spatial orientation, and cognitive flight performance of 40 randomly selected healthy pilots after having high and low fluid intakes. Serial weights were also analyzed to determine differences in cognitive flight performance of the dehydrated (1–3% weight loss) and hydrated study participants. Results showed flight performance and spatial cognition test scores were significantly (p < 0.05) poorer for pilots who had low fluid intakes and experienced dehydration in comparison to the hydrated pilots. These findings indicate fluid intake differences resulting in dehydration may have safety implications because peak cognitive performance among pilots is critical for flight safety. http://militarymedicine.amsus.org/doi/full/10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00013

maybe just simply Hydration.
Effects of Hydration on Cognitive Function of Pilots

ABSTRACT
The objective of this study was to examine the effect of fluid intake and possible dehydration on cognitive flight performance of pilots. A repeated-measures, counterbalanced, mixed study design was used to examine differences in working memory, spatial orientation, and cognitive flight performance of 40 randomly selected healthy pilots after having high and low fluid intakes. Serial weights were also analyzed to determine differences in cognitive flight performance of the dehydrated (1–3% weight loss) and hydrated study participants. Results showed flight performance and spatial cognition test scores were significantly (p < 0.05) poorer for pilots who had low fluid intakes and experienced dehydration in comparison to the hydrated pilots. These findings indicate fluid intake differences resulting in dehydration may have safety implications because peak cognitive performance among pilots is critical for flight safety. http://militarymedicine.amsus.org/doi/full/10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00013

This would be in addition to basic healthy habits.

3 years later I still take them religiously as I notice that my performance in the plane degrades when I don't take them
That's a great reason to not start taking them to begin with. If you give your body a high dosage of whatever, it stops/reduces own production/natural absorption of the same. Eventually you need to keep taking the stuff just to feel ok.
Same concept as smoking.*

*switched from pack and a half of cigarettes a day to leasurly pipe smoking couple of years back. Having smoked for close to 20 years I can provide you with all sorts of fun info on withdrawal symptoms and such

PS Unexpected side effect, chicks dig pipes

That's a great reason to not start taking them to begin with. If you give your body a high dosage of whatever, it stops/reduces own production/natural absorption of the same. Eventually you need to keep taking the stuff just to feel ok.
Same concept as smoking.*

*switched from pack and a half of cigarettes a day to leasurly pipe smoking couple of years back. Having smoked for close to 20 years I can provide you with all sorts of fun info on withdrawal symptoms and such

I feel fine without them. Just it takes a second longer to think/process/etc. Why not get an edge? The smoking is apples/oranges IMO.

I feel fine without them. Just it takes a second longer to think/process/etc. Why not get an edge? The smoking is apples/oranges IMO.
Biochemistry is biochemistry
Thankfully the word is out that unless malnutritioned multivitamins don't do you any good best case and hurt you if worst, you can read up on that if it's more apples/apples in your book.
I do not however think that I can change your mind about it. Biochemical addictions are powerful things

Why not get an edge? The smoking is apples IMO.

You're both right...
Smoking Apple.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see alot of energy spent on taking care of the body and maximizing its health and performance. Which is great.

But what about the mind? Ive been into nutritional supplements that are specifically geared towards improving cognitive function, neuroplasticity, adrenal support, memory, focus, stress management, and learning. Pretty much all the things we need on a daily basis.

It started after consulting a nutritionist friend in initial 121 training 3 years ago with 10pm-2am SIMs... "hey how can i make sure I am at 100% brain function at odd hours of the day." 3 years later I still take them religiously as I notice that my performance in the plane degrades when I don't take them. Ive turned them onto friends in the 121 world with positive results as well.

Ive considered dedicating a new thread to this topic as I, and my nutritionist friend, have taken an interest in this niche topic. Figured I would run it through here first though. If enough people are interested Ive considered putting together a website with nutritional supplements specifically geared towards this line of work.
Are there any publish peer reviewed studies that show any benefit to these supplements? Specifically what are you taking?
If so(and I'd like to read them), what is the mechanism of action?

Back