Being hired with not-so great military history

Maybe grew up in a military family?

Maybe, possibly. But in my experience at least when it comes to behaviors. It's always those that can't, or haven't that seem to never shy away from talking about themselves and things that fluff themselves up as small individuals. In order to make themselves appear to be bigger to both themselves and others.

At work we have a motto. "The loudest patient in the room, is always the weakest." Without fail, and ten years in the business, its always been true.

But I digress. I don't want to sidetrack this guys thread more than I already have.

What does this even mean?
It means they are a troll that was banned from APC. Here's a couple snippets explaining their "background" (extremely heavy air-quotes there). Their profile picture is the same as what it was on APC and the writing style is a dead-on match. Recommend you place them on your ignore list

THKooj said:
Because these guys were military, and in order to criticize this position, I felt I could share and relate my own experience as a Vietnam War re-enactor to have some leg to stand on in understanding where these guys were coming from. I spent over 6 months as a re-enactor in some of the most real life scenarios imaginable. I was assigned to an Army unit and became extremely familiar with all things Army as everything was replicated perfectly, right down to military issue boots. So, there's your background. It's more than many Americans have who have no military service.
and
THKooj said:
Yes, I have only a military background but as I said, it's more than many out there have and I have been on the wrong side of tracers coming at me, blanks of course, but the pucker factor is high. I'm actually proud of having the background that I do and feel I can very closely relate to those who have served before.

Maybe grew up in a military family?
I assumed they worked FOR the military but was never a member of any branch. Doctors, engineers, etc are good examples. My uncle for instance was an engineer for NRL (Naval Research Laboratory) but was never a Navy service member.

It means they are a troll that was banned from APC. Here's a couple snippets explaining their "background" (extremely heavy air-quotes there). Their profile picture is the same as what it was on APC and the writing style is a dead-on match. Recommend you place them on your ignore list

and

I'm gonna own this one. Yep, it was me. I still see nothing wrong with anything at all I've said. As I've mentioned on other forums before, there was a great debate about the difference between cadets and military rotor guys. I'm squarely on the side of the cadets as they are trained for airline flying from day one. I saw it over and over in training that cadets were flying circles around the RTP guys. When I would point this out I would get jumped on saying that I knew jack squat about the military, when in fact I do. Since I had a military background, I felt I could stand in the gap between the cadets and these military RTPs who felt entitled to just walk in and get hired because of their service.

I'm gonna own this one. Yep, it was me. I still see nothing wrong with anything at all I've said. As I've mentioned on other forums before, there was a great debate about the difference between cadets and military rotor guys. I'm squarely on the side of the cadets as they are trained for airline flying from day one. I saw it over and over in training that cadets were flying circles around the RTP guys. When I would point this out I would get jumped on saying that I knew jack squat about the military, when in fact I do. Since I had a military background, I felt I could stand in the gap between the cadets and these military RTPs who felt entitled to just walk in and get hired because of their service.
Ok, I'll bite on this one.

I honestly have no issue with you claiming that cadet candidates are better than RTP candidates, if only because that is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours. I disagree with that assertion as a whole (and there will always be both awful cadets AND RTPs), but that is my opinion and I am entitled to it as well.

Regarding the "dogpile" for your opinion, APC is generally a cesspool so I'm not surprised. Their behavior is uncalled for in regards to differences of opinion. However, in my opinion, saying that you have a "military background" because of re-enactments belittles and demeans the contributions of those that have actually served. Drop that angle and you are less likely to tick people off.

This is the only response you'll get from me so if you are trolling, enjoy the endorphin rush from my engagement. If you are geniune, I hope you'll take this post in the spirit it was intended.

Ok, I'll bite on this one.

I honestly have no issue with you claiming that cadet candidates are better than RTP candidates, if only because that is a matter of opinion and you are entitled to yours. I disagree with that assertion as a whole (and there will always be both awful cadets AND RTPs), but that is my opinion and I am entitled to it as well.

Regarding the "dogpile" for your opinion, APC is generally a cesspool so I'm not surprised. Their behavior is uncalled for in regards to differences of opinion. However, in my opinion, saying that you have a "military background" because of re-enactments belittles and demeans the contributions of those that have actually served. Drop that angle and you are less likely to tick people off.

This is the only response you'll get from me so if you are trolling, enjoy the endorphin rush from my engagement. If you are geniune, I hope you'll take this post in the spirit it was intended.

A well reasoned and rational response. We can disagree civilly. Just FYI. I've never claimed nor will I ever claim "military service." I say that I have a background for a specific reason. It's only a background. That said, it's far more than others have and I feel that I at least have one leg to stand on when confronting these wholly irrational RTP guys who come in thinking they are owed something and should be spoon fed on a silver platter. Going off my own experience with them of course.

A well reasoned and rational response. We can disagree civilly. Just FYI. I've never claimed nor will I ever claim "military service." I say that I have a background for a specific reason. It's only a background. That said, it's far more than others have and I feel that I at least have one leg to stand on when confronting these wholly irrational RTP guys who come in thinking they are owed something and should be spoon fed on a silver platter. Going off my own experience with them of course.

Drop the, I have a military background unless you have served is the point he is making chances are is why you banned from APC in the first. It could be offensive to those who have served and dishonor those who lost their lives in combat.

Last edited:
I’m a vet. I don’t find you saying “military background” to be offensive or anything like that, but it is inaccurate. You don’t have a military background. You have a re-enactor background. They are not the same. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and that you’re not being deliberately vague by saying “background” to deliberately give the impression that you have any actual military experience.

@Dacuj I was a civil-war re-enactor for years, and was hard-core. (11th Florida, company A, and 20th Maine. We marched together in the freezing mud, slept under shelter halves, shivering ourselves to sleep under our sack coats, and eating hard tack and salt pork for the week. I'm also longsword fencer who has done historical combat demonstrations, worked on tall ships doing pirate stuff, living histories from all eras, you name it. I've also been shot at on multiple occasions with live rounds. My dad is a Vietnam vet, and both sides of my family have extensive history in the service. And I'm passionate about second world war aircraft, ships and submarines, to the point of having read the US fleet sub manual. As a teen, I was intimately familiar with the systems on multiple B-17 variants and the Douglas A-26 invader.

I was briefly in the civil air patrol, until I realized it had nothing to do with aviation where I was at. I'm still looking at volunteering for the us coast guard auxiliary, because I respect their mission. I have lots of friends in various branches of the military, and I love talking shop. I considered enlisting for most of my life, until I aged out, but I also knew that with my background I'd be scrubbing toilets or doing tech work.

It's all pretty fun, and I can look back on it, miss those days, and want to do it again (except the getting shot at part). It all adds to my experiences, and is an awesome help when writing.

I absolutely, positively, definitively do NOT have a military background, and all of the above gives me no credibility other than as a historian. (And someone who's been shot at) When I write my stories, I make sure to try to gather feedback from readers who are actually military.

I suggest you reevaluate your statement, as military is a protected class, especially in this country, and despite your benign intent, you're looking for respect that you haven't earned.

Wonder what veterans day is like at his house, can I come over for that bbq to hear about his war stories?

man you should hear some of mine.

“so there it was, October of 2008. The Surge was just heating up, Al-Sadr’s militia was in open rebellion with death squads and IED’s every day. And there I was in Florida, the temp was an unusually frigid 72 degrees and thunderstorms were rolling through. And then it happened. The cable went out. For SIX HOURS. SIX MFing hours sitting in the break room with nothing to do but rate each others farts. It was hell. I’ve smelled some things man.”

I’m a vet. I don’t find you saying “military background” to be offensive or anything like that, but it is inaccurate. You don’t have a military background. You have a re-enactor background. They are not the same. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and that you’re not being deliberately vague by saying “background” to deliberately give the impression that you have any actual military experience.

It’s not offensive, it’s sad.

Back