Beechcraft B100 Fatal Accident December 19, 2012 Libby, Montana

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, THE 2 PERSONS ON BOARD WERE
FATALLY INJURED, SUBJECT OF AN ALERT NOTICE, WRECKAGE LOCATED 3 MILES FROM
LIBBY, MT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Carl J. Douglas, the 54-year-old CEO of Stinger Welding who was killed in a plane crash Dec. 19, was not certified to pilot the aircraft that night.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration registration records, Carl James Douglas was only a student pilot and navigating the Beechcraft King Air 100 at night, above the clouds and without clear visibility of the ground exceeded his student qualifications.

Douglas and his passenger, John Smith, 43, died after Douglas’ twin-engine turbo-prop slammed into Swede Mountain just about three miles northeast of Libby Airport.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration’s website, Carl J. Douglas received his student pilot’s license on June 9, 2010. There are no records indicating Douglas had a full-fledged pilot’s license.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2012/12/beechcraft-b100-king-air-n499sw-douglas.html

2f742b1fa5561a1b3c49783775d244c9683b8a5c

Stinger Welding is located in Coolidge, AZ, just a few miles south of my San Tan Valley house. Drive by the company on State Route 87 all the time going to and from TUS. The company is a major builder of metal framing systems and bridge parts. They had a large operation in Libby, and were the biggest employer there, as well as the AZ home location. 499SW was based at P08 airport and was a beautiful plane.

I fly into Libby a fair bit. That is not an airport to be messing with. In fact with the conditions what they are right now, I won't go in there at night. There's not a real safe way to do it right now.

That takes balls to fly a KA as a student pilot. No sympathy for the pilot, it's just unfortunate an innocent person was also killed.

When I worked part time at an FBO a 14 hour student bought a brand new Seneca II. He based it at a small uncontrolled airport 12 miles away and that was the last we saw of him. Being brand new it had mode c at a time when very few GA aircraft did. More than once we were hard IFR and I'd see a 1200 code with mode c depart the satellite airport and climb though the radar pattern.

I know he was ramp checked at least twice at Willy Post, the FAA was trying to get him. After the ramp check he simply got in his Seneca and flew away. There is nothing the FAA can do.

If you don't have a license a suspension isn't much of a threat.

Can they do monetary fines? If there's no punishment possible if you're not certificated, why would anyone not flying for a living be certificated?

There are some things you can't fix; STUPID is one of them!!

If you drive a car without a license or with a suspended/revoked license, you can go to jail. Interesting that there are no similar laws with regards to airpcraft......

Piloting an airplane without a certificate is often a violation of state law. In Oregon it was a Class 3 misdemeanor.

I got a friend that lives in Libby, MT. He was telling me to look this one up, but I never got around to it. It's sad to see an accident happen because of careless behavior.

It's sad to see an accident happen because of careless behavior.
Don't candy coat it, this was far from careless. This is behavior from one of those kind of people who think they can do anything, repercussions of their actions be damned. It is the behavior of ponzi schemers, most politicians, arrogant divas, and some ex wives I know.

People like this are thoughtless, reckless and need brains that work.

Let's call a spade a spade, but don't call it careless.

To bad the wrods I uttered when I read this OP can't be repeated here. Most of them were of the four letter varitey. Sure, I know for a fact I could go and fly a CE-750 right now. I know where one is. Hell, I wouldn't even bother with an FO. But just because I can, doesn't mean I should.

Don't candy coat it, this was far from careless. This is behavior from one of those kind of people who think they can do anything, repercussions of their actions be damned. It is the behavior of ponzi schemers, most politicians, arrogant divas, and some ex wives I know.

Ah I didn't know my wording would be so ridiculed. I fully agree with you. I was not attempting to sugar coat the real issue here. The guy definitely had it coming, and it was definitely careless behavior because he didn't seem to care about the implications of his actions. It would seem careless and reckless are synonymous.

Seriously? Criticize the student pilot in the accident all you want but why you would go off on JustinS for calling the guy careless is just baffling.

Back