Be careful....

IMO, the FedEx crew calling for the Southwest crew to reject wasn’t a good thing. All it did was create confusion, which could have potentially made things worse. Not to say they were in the wrong, because this squarely falls on ATC. Although I will say this about the Southwest crew. If they did a standing takeoff (is that policy over there with low vis?) they should have informed ATC knowing that traffic was on a 3 mile final. I’m sure ATC was counting on the typical quick roll from Southwest.

Not that this is related, but wasn’t this the same controller that was on freq during the Virgin/Southwest drama a few weeks ago?
Agree. Little use to make that call to “abort”. Probably just what came out of his mouth in a oh Poop moment. But no way would I reject off a mystery person saying “abort”.

That is NOT good.

I had a situation when we were on short finale to RNO and tower cleared a jet to line up and wait. Two and a half miles out we went missed. Tower wondered why and the other jet alluded to us being pansies.

My 'flip the plane inverted to be thought of as cool by people who aren't doing their jobs' days are far behind me.

Kinda sounds like the same controller from that audio where Virgin Atlantic got upset at Southwest for pushing back in front of them in Austin’s uncontrolled ramp area.

My 'flip the plane inverted to be thought of as cool by people who aren't doing their jobs' days are far behind me.
And here I was wondering how loud a 767 at takeoff thrust a few hundred feet overhead would be, let alone an MD-eightyninety.

That is NOT good.

I had a situation when we were on short finale to RNO and tower cleared a jet to line up and wait. Two and a half miles out we went missed. Tower wondered why and the other jet alluded to us being pansies.

Had a similar deal years back in SFO. Approach wanted us something at like 3,000' and 210 until the bridge in the RJ. Went around and tower wanted to know why we were such morans. Told them "crap vectors".

Had a similar deal years back in SFO. Approach wanted us something at like 3,000' and 210 until the bridge in the RJ. Went around and tower wanted to know why we were such morans. Told them "crap vectors".

YES!

In the simulator today, the APD was getting behind a bit and he started talking faster as his voice got higher giving us pseudovectors:

"That's what they call a panic vector"

The APD wasn't amused, but at 25 years, I'm going to entertain myself and yeah, I'll take that hearing. Even take coffee orders.

Whats crazy/sad/frustrating is that most facilities have a person like this, I would say. The career long trainee who files complaints about everything the minute it becomes apparent he/she cannot actually separate aircraft and issue safety alerts. Nothing is ever this persons fault, and everybody else needs to just work around them because management is too afraid of the threat of a lawsuit for EEO stuff that they just let it all go. "They'll get better after they certify".

Agency wide, staffing is so terrible that alot of places feel forced to sign everyone off because god dammit, we need the bodies, and you may suck at this job but getting you certified is my only hope of ever getting off 6 day work weeks. Then factor in all the COVID sign offs who management rushed through in order to pretend like our staffing was better, who have never seen real traffic in their entire training career, now on their own and struggling mightily. I see it literally every day at work, working around weak controllers who get completely overwhelmed the second traffic picks up and have no business on the radio.

Whats sad is that the FAA is just going to move and/or promote this guy again, or come up with some stupid rule about having every position in the facility split at 630AM, all because this one idiot that from the sounds of it never should have been working AUS Tower by himself to begin with tried to slam his only two planes together, and from what the tapes sound, make absolutely no effort to ever separate them.

Whats crazy is that from what Ive read, there wasnt anybody coming in behind FDX either. It wouldve been a 2-3 min wait for the SWA to go off safely, and this wouldnt be national news. Just absolutely no excuse for that decision from the tower controller.

Almost sounds like the 4 checkride failure pilots. Only difference is, no one is making excuses for these controllers who can’t do the job…..

My personal cutoff in this situation at my airport would be 5-6 miles and I would use "immediate" phraseology. I literally did this exact scenario (immediate takeoff clearance, 76 on 6 mi final) on the same day with the same carriers and types, only VMC. I ended up with the minimum IFR separation (which I didn't need). The immediate wasn't necessary but I gave it anyway due to external factors. It will vary by runway slightly but the only way this works in my experience is if the 73 was already in position when the takeoff clearance is issued.

Back