Be careful....

The bq didn’t go away til 2018. You took the at-sa 2016-2018. While I’m certainly not saying you would have gotten hired the 4th time, it’s not the bq to blame. It’s 1500 spots per year with 20-30k applicants. People applying 3-5+ times before getting an offer is not uncommon at all.
Ah ok, I seriously don't recall a 20+ page test of questions the years I got in...so I guess that much, much shorter questionnaire was still considered a BQ? It had to be 1/4 the length of the years I didn't get in, so I figured it was something else. The first time I got into the pool after that, they told me I wasn't hired due to an "algorithm", so I called and learned about the whole former 1 civilian for 1 prior military hire thing. I remember asking, "So seats in OKC go empty when the military pool dries up?". And I was told that is correct. I know since then things have changed, but damn, I'll never understand how such an essential government job fumbled the hiring process so badly for over a decade.

As much as I still wish I was there regardless, it is concerning that every last friend I have who made it is maxing out on OT and telling me I dodged a bullet. I really hope life improves for you guys...no excuse for the QOL at many facilities. Despite the money and loving controlling, they don't seem happy. Crap I mean look at the posts by @nabbyfan over the years. He was as excited as I was when we were chasing that dream, his posts say a lot...

The FAA went woke on their ATC hiring criteria, just like United with their AVIATE nonsense.

Coming now to the LAPD. I don’t get it. First they want to defund the police. Now they want it to consist of unqualified or underqualified officers?

Ah ok, I seriously don't recall a 20+ page test of questions the years I got in...so I guess that much, much shorter questionnaire was still considered a BQ? It had to be 1/4 the length of the years I didn't get in, so I figured it was something else. The first time I got into the pool after that, they told me I wasn't hired due to an "algorithm", so I called and learned about the whole former 1 civilian for 1 prior military hire thing. I remember asking, "So seats in OKC go empty when the military pool dries up?". And I was told that is correct. I know since then things have changed, but damn, I'll never understand how such an essential government job fumbled the hiring process so badly for over a decade.

As much as I still wish I was there regardless, it is concerning that every last friend I have who made it is maxing out on OT and telling me I dodged a bullet. I really hope life improves for you guys...no excuse for the QOL at many facilities. Despite the money and loving controlling, they don't seem happy. Crap I mean look at the posts by @nabbyfan over the years. He was as excited as I was when we were chasing that dream, his posts say a lot...

I wish you were here too. It’s always more enjoyable to work with someone who is passionate about the job.

Interested to know when the Mesa flight decided to go around and if Skywest was rolling or even in position at that time.

Yeah that video was a head-scratcher and a lot of "Holes in the Swiss Cheese" started aligning pretty quickly.

Yeah that video was a head-scratcher and a lot of "Holes in the Swiss Cheese" started aligning pretty quickly.
Problem is this person is just continually punching holes through layers of their own cheese. This one is really bad, and part of my "volunteer work" at my facility includes watching multiple of these a week. I've seen a lot of head scratchers but I've never seen anyone make multiple decisions/clearances with no bad read backs/misunderstandings etc.... To somehow get 3 Airplanes (one of which is stopped on the ground) into multiple potential conflicts with each other. This is Controller Darwin award material. Thank God there were only 3. The poor Cirrus (not sure if its included in the made video) not even being sure after if he wants to still land at BUR says everything.

I will confess that as a radar only guy everything on a tower replay looks horrible though

Last edited:
Felt like the old iOS ATC game after a while, you get bored with it and start vectoring planes into one another just for the hell of it.

I’d be lying if when it’s slow and I’m bored I like to see how many planes I can get stacked on top of eachother with 1 vector each to all be at the same spot at the same time. Altitude separated of course.

I’d be lying if when it’s slow and I’m bored I like to see how many planes I can get stacked on top of eachother with 1 vector each to all be at the same spot at the same time. Altitude separated of course.

And then your voice gets higher and you start speaking faster as some captain looks over at his first officer and says, "Here comes the panic vector" :)

Back