Be careful....

Yes, you're allowed to apply. But you aren't being targeted for recruitment while certain groups are, which means those groups will apply disproportionally. Again, the government doesn't allow this in housing and specifically calls it discrimination, but they're allowed to do it themselves.

You're having a difficult part understanding that the ATC industry is pretty much tapped out when it comes white men willing to do the job. So they are looking to targer more diversity to fullfull their needs. It's just that simple really.

You're having a difficult part understanding that the ATC industry is pretty much tapped out when it comes white men willing to do the job. So they are looking to targer more diversity to fullfull their needs. It's just that simple really.

Not really, we’ve always had 10x more applicants than the academy has the ability to process in a year.

What are you smoking? This is one of the most high demand jobs around. They're just trying to increase the number of people who are of a certain race or gender. You know, otherwise known as racism and sexism.

What are you smoking? This is one of the most high demand jobs around. They're just trying to increase the number of people who are of a certain race or gender. You know, otherwise known as racism and sexism.
I would add. They may or may not hire someone less qualified, but like a type rating, they still have to pass the check ride.

Every time an ATC'er changes a facility / sector training is required followed by a check ride.

The issues are far more than just trying to hire minorities. The FAA academy isn’t able to pump out enough graduates, and our staffing is so bad in the field that we don’t have the ability to train the grads we do get in a timely matter.

It’s a lot more complicated than just “The FAA is trying to force minorities in at all costs”.

What is true and was said a few pages back, is the FAA saw the decline in traffic because of COVID as an opportunity to pump trainees through the system, and certify them on an empty scope under the premise that traffic “wouldn’t be back until 2030”. Well guess what, it’s 2023, traffics back, and now we have people fully certified who have never seen traffic like this at any point in their training who have no idea how to work a busy sector because they never had to prove they could when they got certified during COVID traffic.

I’m not even sure how we fix it at this point. We need bodies and can’t just wash everyone out because then as certified controllers we’re left holding the bag of 6 day work weeks and 10 hour days forever. Something’s gotta give at some point, and a quick look at the state of the NAS with nasty deals at ARTCCs that will never make the news, and these near miss runway incursions happening monthly, seems like it’s starting to give.

I would add. They may or may not hire someone less qualified, but like a type rating, they still have to pass the check ride.

Every time an ATC'er changes a facility / sector training is required followed by a check ride.

As if it makes it okay that your racism and sexism still has to abide by minimum standards.

Sounds like it’s time to start training AI to control traffic.

U90 TRACON (TUS) is apparently in danger of their facility getting closed, as the FAA would like to have their traffic be controlled remotely from P50 (PHX) TRACON. I guess it doesn’t matter where radar controllers are physically sitting when they do their job. Kind of like a mini version of when BUR, LAX, ONT, PSP, SAN and Coast, all became SoCal TRACON: or MRY, SCK, SMF and Bay became NorCal.

Now, U90 is doing everything they can to get a traffic number, no matter whether they actually provide an actual service or not to an aircraft.

Who knows, AI could very well be next in this realm.

Sounds like it’s time to start training AI to control traffic.
AI would be great if the weather were clear and a million every day, but it is not. Same reason pilots will never lose their jobs; when things do not go according to plan, computers cannot truly think creatively. Best they can do is see what someone else did in the exact situation in the past and mimic it. Exact situations never happen in aviation.

D-E-I do-you-know-what-that-means?

She got er own interview, she got er own job, but not on her own merit.

Relax JC libs, this post is just a joke using a song.

Last edited:
And the CTI program was specifically weeding out everyone except upper-middle-class white dudes. No one else could afford to spend $50k on an associates degree that does nothing for you except allow you to apply for a job.

Well there are a handful of Historically Black Colleges and Universities that have CTI programs.

Well there are a handful of Historically Black Colleges and Universities that have CTI programs.
I am not familiar, but it doesn't matter. I was basically in the last class where the FAA hired off the street before exclusively hiring CTI grads and military. Everyone that came in with a CTI degree was white and mostly male. There were a handful of revered CTI schools but most of them were garbage and the pass rate of CTI grads was no different than off the street. As @NovemberEcho stated, all CTI did at most CTI schools was teach to pass the academy.

I am not familiar, but it doesn't matter. I was basically in the last class where the FAA hired off the street before exclusively hiring CTI grads and military. Everyone that came in with a CTI degree was white and mostly male. There were a handful of revered CTI schools but most of them were garbage and the pass rate of CTI grads was no different than off the street. As @NovemberEcho stated, all CTI did at most CTI schools was teach to pass the academy.
And as for the military hires, there is a big disparity between military controllers who worked at a training base like shepherd or key west and those that worked amphibs or remote locations like diego garcia

Yeah. I definitely understand that ATC is a "you can do it or you can't" league. I still think that the entire way that training is done needs to be re-done to get you all over 50% passing.

AI would be great if the weather were clear and a million every day, but it is not. Same reason pilots will never lose their jobs; when things do not go according to plan, computers cannot truly think creatively. Best they can do is see what someone else did in the exact situation in the past and mimic it. Exact situations never happen in aviation.

This is really cute 20th century thinking that has no applicability whatsoever to current technology, let alone future.

Back