Bahamas Island Hopping

KVNC

Florida Man
My brother and I took four days at the beginning of the month to go explore and island hop the Bahamas. We took along our DJI Phantom as well as a few GoPros to document the trip. I know most of you guys are mostly big time pilots who probably don't do a lot of GA flying so I figured it might interest you to see it. It was an awesome time I definitely recommend to anyone in Florida!

It'd be cool if you could land on the beaches in the Bahamas on some of the all but and uninhabited islands. The local government does not allow for that though.

It'd be cool if you could land on the beaches in the Bahamas on some of the all but and uninhabited islands. The local government does not allow for that though.

I wonder if this is one of those situations where it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

Maybe in the US, but when it comes to foreign governments, well, I'd like to not spend any time in their jails.

As with most of those regional governments, any legal conflicts in our case would be merely an excuse to extort money out of the rich people.

Same reason my one law professor used to insist and plead to people going on Spring Break in Mexico or wherever, if anything happens get out/across the border. Do not as a "rich American" submit to local law enforcements interpretation of the situation because it will more than likely result in detainment until tribute is paid.

Officially anything below the high tide line is fair game. I've beached a seaplane a few times on the out islands. However, it is generally frowned upon on the privately owned islands.

Just curious, @KVNC did you research Bahamian law with regard to drones before you brought them?

I know the Bahamians have just announced basicmed. Don't know what they do on drones but they usually stay pretty close to the FAA.

I know the Bahamians have just announced basicmed. Don't know what they do on drones but they usually stay pretty close to the FAA.

They recently approved drones but they must be pre-registered with the Bahamian aviation authority, pay associated fees on it, and follow specific regulations.

They do parallel FAA regs, such as LSA & BasicMed but they aren't too happy to have drones buzzing around but if it generates revenue, they'll accept it. Their entire economy is focused on tourism and having LSA & BasicMed certainly help that. However they value privacy (really the foreigners that vacation and purchase land there value it, hence why they are there).

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Just curious, @KVNC did you research Bahamian law with regard to drones before you brought them?

Yes, this is the second time we've brought the Phantom over. We contact the Civil Aviation office in Nassau before we go. Then provide them with the basic information regarding the drone registration and our travel plans and our credentials (Part 107 remote pilots). Shortly thereafter, we get an official approval letter to fly it in Bahamian Airspace (Subject to typical limitations, <400ft, not over people, etc.). If you don't have this approval letter the drone is likely to be held by customs when you enter the county (If they notice). So basically, 20 minutes of going through the proper channel in Nassau and you're good to go, then just fly the thing as you would in the U.S.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Yes, this is the second time we've brought the Phantom over. We contact the Civil Aviation office in Nassau before we go. Then provide them with the basic information regarding the drone registration and our travel plans and our credentials (Part 107 remote pilots). Shortly thereafter, we get an official approval letter to fly it in Bahamian Airspace (Subject to typical limitations, <400ft, not over people, etc.). If you don't have this approval letter the drone is likely to be held by customs when you enter the county (If they notice). So basically, 20 minutes of going through the proper channel in Nassau and you're good to go, then just fly the thing as you would in the U.S.

Excellent. I applaud your due diligence. Very few people are aware of those details.

Excellent. I applaud your due diligence. Very few people are aware of those details.

My brother and I do photos for real estate listings and generally anything drone related in our area. We have an LLC and insurance on the drones so maybe that helps the Bahamians take us more seriously I suppose. We're both CFI's and have real certs that we care about so we take the drone thing pretty serious and above board.

My brother and I do photos for real estate listings and generally anything drone related in our area. We have an LLC and insurance on the drones so maybe that helps the Bahamians take us more seriously I suppose. We're both CFI's and have real certs that we care about so we take the drone thing pretty serious and above board.

So you can take your drone with you is what you're saying :D

PS Just a silly reference to another thread. Awesome vid, made me miss bouncing around the Bahamas in a 'van

Here I am in my hotel at St Thomas, USVI and see a drone eye level with me flying over the pool/ beach/ tennis courts. Being inside the inner ring of the TIST charlie airspace it piques my interest and as expected there was not a NOTAM issued as well as the hotel has a no drone policy.

Sigh. Too bad there are not more people like @KVNC out there.

Here I am in my hotel at St Thomas, USVI and see a drone eye level with me flying over the pool/ beach/ tennis courts. Being inside the inner ring of the TIST charlie airspace it piques my interest and as expected there was not a NOTAM issued as well as the hotel has a no drone policy.

Sigh. Too bad there are not more people like @KVNC out there.

Which hotel?

Back