B737 Talk

how about flaps 40?

a flap setting that’s prohibited. Weird.

No, we can use it. The only prohibition at our shop is flaps 2. Manual says because there’s no published speeds for it, which IMO is BS, because if you go flaps 2 then you see a 2 indicator on the speed scale.

I'm just guessing that it's in Delta's interest to get the MAX10 certified the same way so pilots can fly all 3 at the same time -800/900/MAX10.
I would rather have real and valuable technology advances come into use under the umbrella of differences training, if it's a choice between that or a next-next-next-gen different type rating.

As has been already been observed repeatedly over the years, an aircraft with EFIS and RNAV and stability management computers and digital pressurization controllers already has the same type rating as something with steam gauges, no FMS, totally different engines, and a MTOW with half the current max gross. The strict type rating regime has already a been made a fop and it's probably time to evolve into the FAA can be authoritative over again.

I would rather have real and valuable technology advances come into use under the umbrella of differences training, if it's a choice between that or a next-next-next-gen different type rating.

As has been already been observed repeatedly over the years, an aircraft with EFIS and RNAV and stability management computers and digital pressurization controllers already has the same type rating as something with steam gauges, no FMS, totally different engines, and a MTOW with half the current max gross. The strict type rating regime has already a been made a fop and it's probably time to evolve into the FAA can be authoritative over again.

I just believe that the MAX 7, 8, 9, and 10 have already been announced years ago and that they should get grandfathered in. Now by all means if Boeing says a new MAX11 variant is coming, then for sure apply the new EICAS requirements.

As it stands now, I would hate it if a differences course was approved and I fly the MAX 10 with the EICAS variant and the MAX 8 and 9 with the current system annunciator panel method. When things go wrong, I would like one consistent method to deal with it. Make the MAX 8,9, and 10 the same. :)

And of course, let the 737 die with the last iteration being the MAX 10.

No, we can use it. The only prohibition at our shop is flaps 2. Manual says because there’s no published speeds for it, which IMO is BS, because if you go flaps 2 then you see a 2 indicator on the speed scale.

no speeds published? Flaps 2 is same as flaps 1: 230. Panel placard says it too, along with the speed scale marking. Weird…

Weirder… our book and placard speeds for flaps 1-5 are 250. But company speeds are 240 and 230. And those changes from book were in the last12 months.

I hadn’t followed the MAX keeping a system annunciator vs EICAS, but that’s pretty absurd given todays technology. Then again it’s par for the course. :)

1659491140177.jpeg

(From this great blog in 2011, which still feels very relevant: Boeing’s MAX, Southwest’s 737)

I hadn’t followed the MAX keeping a system annunciator vs EICAS, but that’s pretty absurd given todays technology. Then again it’s par for the course. :)

View attachment 66175

(From this great blog in 2011, which still feels very relevant: Boeing’s MAX, Southwest’s 737)
Oh that can't be Southwest; they're using the autothrottle. :confused:

(Continental did this weird six pack for a while, too.)

View attachment 66175

Ok, hot take here, but I’m actually a Big proponent of big color coded annunciators in a very big purposeful panel unless the EICAS system is really good at prioritizing what’s actually an issue? Or your aircraft manual is just rock solid.

Granted, my only experience with something approximating an airline EICAS is the FMS in the Pilatus and the Twin Otter… and I had no trouble adapting, but… I’d say I prefer a traditional annunciator panel.

At least in the sim it seemed easier to me to be able to identify a problem with the “Nancy” as opposed to the EICAS, in the types I flew that had both. Maybe that says something about my spatial awareness or something lol.

Ok, hot take here, but I’m actually a Big proponent of big color coded annunciators in a very big purposeful panel unless the EICAS system is really good at prioritizing what’s actually an issue?

I’m with you on the human factors side of the big color coded annunciators working better for my monkey brain while flying, but I think what you wrote in bold is exactly the point. EICAS is a filter that takes in all data and then prioritizes it into Warning, Caution and Advisory messages. Furthermore once you’ve dealt with the issue you can cancel it into the background to avoid the distraction of past issues already dealt with if a new issue pops up, or recall everything to get a complete picture.

This is a pretty cool read on the human factors strategy behind the 777 EICAS: http://www.infinidim.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/EICAS-ECL-Guide.pdf

I’ve never flown anything with an EICAS either, but (in addition to staying at the Holiday Inn last night) I did have the opportunity to help in a very small way with programming the logic of one. Even for a simple non-safety critical advisory message there is a crapload of Boolean algebra that goes into it, and you basically have to evaluate every permutation of true/false readings you could get from your desired sensors, the theoretical state the aircraft would be in for each of those possible combinations and then decide whether the message should be displayed or suppressed.

You can bet that the engineers working the warnings and cautions are making massive matrices of true/false combinations of the warning and caution messages themselves to evaluate which emergency could produce which combo, what message to prioritize at the top of the list in each possible scenario, and then technical writers are writing it all up for AFMs and checklists.

TL;DR - EICAS is a completely different human factors approach you have to train for. Now you push and cancel the single master caution/warning button to silence the aural warning and train yourself to look in one place at the EICAS page for the prioritized warnings, cautions and advisories, deal with the threats in the correct order and then cancel them to make way for new ones. I think where it really shines is on airplanes that are so technologically advanced that the annunciator lights get too complicated, and there are too many places to look for them, and when dealing with a new emergency our feeble human brains may mistake lights from an old emergency and react incorrectly. :)

Curious to hear from those of you that have flown both. Which do you like better and why?

Last edited:
EICAS allows so many more options as far as contextual inhibiting, collector messages, etc. and none of those tiny damn bulbs and those annunciator housings that explode in a million tiny pieces if you look at them wrong when changing one of said tiny damn bulbs

I think “contextual inhibiting” is the fancy word for my “many matrices of true/false” comment above. :D Your explanation wins.

no speeds published? Flaps 2 is same as flaps 1: 230. Panel placard says it too, along with the speed scale marking. Weird…

I took Cherokee's post to be in reference to VREF speeds, rather than placard/max, but I could be mistaken. As in I can't select VREF 2 on the FMC approach page

I took Cherokee's post to be in reference to VREF speeds, rather than placard/max, but I could be mistaken. As in I can't select VREF 2 on the FMC approach page

ah, makes sense. I thought he was referencing the company’s stance on placard speeds. :)

ah, makes sense. I thought he was referencing the company’s stance on placard speeds. :)

I think the sim must be too dark, because they clearly have a stance against illuminating it enough to be able to actually read :)

Also, it isn't like I select VREF for anything other than landing flaps, and just use the bugs for F1/F5/(F15/F25 if two engine) on the speed tape anyways, so I too think this might be a strange restriction

I think the sim must be too dark, because they clearly have a stance against illuminating it enough to be able to actually read :)

Also, it isn't like I select VREF for anything other than landing flaps, and just use the bugs for F1/F5/(F15/F25 if two engine) on the speed tape anyways, so I too think this might be a strange restriction
The UNS FMS/Honeywell EFIS combo in the Lear has a cool feature called floating ref, where if you tell it to it will continuously calculate and display a ref bug automagically adjusted for your current weight and flap setting. If desired you can even program in a gust factor (or any other reason) additive. Or you can just fly .65 AOA.

But the best presentation I’ve seen is the PC-12NG dynamic speed bug. I think from my limited understanding it’s similar to the Àîrbüs green dot.

Ok, hot take here, but I’m actually a Big proponent of big color coded annunciators in a very big purposeful panel unless the EICAS system is really good at prioritizing what’s actually an issue? Or your aircraft manual is just rock solid.

Granted, my only experience with something approximating an airline EICAS is the FMS in the Pilatus and the Twin Otter… and I had no trouble adapting, but… I’d say I prefer a traditional annunciator panel.

At least in the sim it seemed easier to me to be able to identify a problem with the “Nancy” as opposed to the EICAS, in the types I flew that had both. Maybe that says something about my spatial awareness or something lol.
I think you would really enjoy the Airbus system. You comply with the ECAM items, then you have to go through all the systems affected by problem. Then you get a status page.

It's really straightforward and is great for situational awareness.

Back