B737 Talk

If you are on an arrival in VNAV path and ATC keeps you high too long or slows you while you’re descending, you’ll have to use the boards to stay on or recapture the path. You can set anti ice on/off altitudes and input the local altimeter on the forecast page in the the box which might help a little.

VERY generally… 210 flaps 1 on downwind either abeam the field or somewhere before you anticipate being turned to base (or 5-7-ish miles from the FAF if straight in). 180 flaps 5 on base. Flaps 10 on a long final or if ATC kept you high or fast if you need it, otherwise, gear down flaps 15 at around 2000 agl. Flaps 30 and target speed around 1500. If you are kept fast and need it, flaps 2, and 25 can give you that extra bit of slowing.
To add to this, when ATC gives you a descent with a speed in the terminal area, flaps 1 works well for 210 kts, flaps 5 for 180-190, flaps 10 for 170.

If you are on an arrival in VNAV path and ATC keeps you high too long or slows you while you’re descending, you’ll have to use the boards to stay on or recapture the path. You can set anti ice on/off altitudes and input the local altimeter on the forecast page in the the box which might help a little.

VERY generally… 210 flaps 1 on downwind either abeam the field or somewhere before you anticipate being turned to base (or 5-7-ish miles from the FAF if straight in). 180 flaps 5 on base. Flaps 10 on a long final or if ATC kept you high or fast if you need it, otherwise, gear down flaps 15 at around 2000 agl. Flaps 30 and target speed around 1500. If you are kept fast and need it, flaps 2, and 25 can give you that extra bit of slowing.

This is the way.

This is also what all the controllers at Class B airports are expecting.

Controllers at Class C/D airports, however, are by and large expecting no less than a -20 degree FPA from 15 miles out to the flare. There aren't that many planes behind you and they’re suffering just as much as you so if they leave you high, get aggressive about the “slow down, go down” mantra. Skip flaps 1& 2 and go straight to 5, maybe even slow some more and fit 10 in there.

This is the way.

This is also what all the controllers at Class B airports are expecting.

Controllers at Class C/D airports, however, are by and large expecting no less than a -20 degree FPA from 15 miles out to the flare. There aren't that many planes behind you and they’re suffering just as much as you so if they leave you high, get aggressive about the “slow down, go down” mantra. Skip flaps 1& 2 and go straight to 5, maybe even slow some more and fit 10 in there.

flaps 40 is your friend too on final. Too many pilots seemingly afraid to use it. You want to slow down and go down when high on final? Gear and work to flaps 40, and you’ll come down.

i agree that it’s nice to go through the flaps from 1 and such, but it’s not required. Can go right to 5 if needed, max speeds the same.

same when retracting the flaps on takeoff. Initial takeoff (technique), I don’t pitch to 20 or so, I make a more shallow departure that accelerates quicker, so I’m right about 200 when I call for 210/N1 and flaps up (from 5), no need to stop at flaps 1 because I’m already at speed.

speaking of takeoff. Some pilots like to continuously rotate right to the jet breaking ground, others rotate and set a deck angle and let the jet lift off on its own a few seconds later like is done in the -400. I do the latter just for habit. The former could get you in trouble in a 400/900 long fuselage series.

Speed brakes on the 73 other than the Max, do nothing but vibrate the airframe when airborne. Generally worthless, in the sense of don’t depend on them to help you much. Better off slowing first and getting in flaps before descending, or if overly high enough, just configuring with gear first and working the flaps in as the speeds come down.

Last edited:
On the takeoff note, those charts on rotation tail clearance for long body jets is crazy, and that is using the published technique.

All those flap settings are giving me -200 flashbacks.

Crack crack crack thunk crack thunk “Ok, flaps 5, clear right, Orlando ground, SouthernJets 2214 at Tango with Whiskey”

On the takeoff note, those charts on rotation tail clearance for long body jets is crazy, and that is using the published technique.

Yup. And we have some guys who aggressively rotate and keep rotating until the jet flies off the ground. If we had -400s, they’d be slapping the tail. Continuously rotating but not aggressive, will work. Or setting the deck angle and letting it lift. Both just different techniques, is all.

All those flap settings are giving me -200 flashbacks.

Crack crack crack thunk crack thunk “Ok, flaps 5, clear right, Orlando ground, SouthernJets 2214 at Tango with Whiskey”

-200…….hell yeah! Only the -100 was a little more sportier, being 6 feet shorter. An empty -100/200 is one maneuverable as heck jet.

Yup. And we have some guys who aggressively rotate and keep rotating until the jet flies off the ground. If we had -400s, they’d be slapping the tail. Continuously rotating but not aggressive, will work. Or setting the deck angle and letting it lift. Both just different techniques, is all.
2-3 degrees per second rotation rate until the nose comes up and stops, then wait for it to unstick. Then pull the nose up to 15 degrees. The tailstrike on takeoff is somewhat of an overstated threat.

The tail strike on landing is the real threat. Don’t get any slower than Vref in a 900 and don’t raise the nose more than about 2 degrees in the flare. It’s not as hard as it sounds, but it takes a few tries to get at it, especially in a tailwind.

2-3 degrees per second until the nose comes up then wait for it to unstick. Then pull the nose up to 15 degrees. The tailstrike on takeoff is somewhat of an overstated threat.

Same. I do about a 10-15 degree climb, no obstacles clearances needed or anything. Some pilots like the full 20 degrees, even though the pitch bar will take you above that. I don’t see that as really necessary, but its a technique.

2-3 degrees per second rotation rate until the nose comes up and stops, then wait for it to unstick. Then pull the nose up to 15 degrees. The tailstrike on takeoff is somewhat of an overstated threat.

The tail strike on landing is the real threat. Don’t get any slower than Vref in a 900 and don’t raise the nose more than about 2 degrees in the flare. It’s not as hard as it sounds, but it takes a few tries to get at it, especially in a tailwind.

Boeing is putting trailing-link mains on the "same type" MAX 10 because they've stretched it so much.

NaXwVHI.gif

(credit to Boeing shows off longer legs for 737 Max 10)

Some tidbits from a few years of smashing them into pavement..

Run MAX COOL in any 700 if the temps are above 80. Leave the temps full cold until someone tells you to warm it up.

800s/MAX run a little better. I still run the APU bleed over the engine bleeds until we are basically cleared for takeoff.

Gusty winds- I land flaps 30 almost all the time. If its calm and a short runway, 40 works well. Flaps 30 just gives you better overspeed margin. But you do you.

You don't need to over control the dang thing, I fly with so many guys that are sawing wood all the time, tweaking out making HUGE inputs, it requires some input but not massive amounts.

VNAV- our software might be crap, so YMMV, but if its set up for a .79/320 decent, there is a good chance the thing will try and overspeed in the decent in VNAV, so Ill back it off to .78 or so or start down a bit early so its not trying to go into the barber pole every 10 seconds. Our software is idle decent, so that's half the issue.

VNAV- our software might be crap, so YMMV, but if its set up for a .79/320 decent, there is a good chance the thing will try and overspeed in the decent in VNAV, so Ill back it off to .78 or so or start down a bit early so its not trying to go into the barber pole every 10 seconds. Our software is idle decent, so that's half the issue.

agreed. Descend Now key selection , is your friend. Avoid the DRAG REQUIRED message constantly occurring.

This is a good list.

Perf page 2 stops the extremely annoying ECON DESCENT at the cost index from slowing you to .68/256

It happens when you get an early descent more than 100 miles from TOD. You’re looking up at the glare shield and when you press ALT INTV the aircraft slows way up and it can catch you off guard. It doesn’t help you’re looking in the wrong place when the airplane sneaks this one on you.

I’d add that getting slowed down early and being stable a long ways out is good practice for a noob. I brief it so it’s not a surprise. I’ve been on the airplane for over four years now and it still eats my lunch on occasion.

Here’s a few of mine:

- The max speed brakes are super sensitive. Yeet with caution. The airplane will plunge out of the sky compared to an NG.

- The environmental system needs to “warm up” to function consistently. The packs need to warm up to operate at a consistent temperature. Waiting to turn the APU on is setting yourself up for failure.

- Autobrakes are your friend. Minimum 2 for xwind landings.

- TRs should remain deployed until the engines spool to idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every FO I've had puts /280 on the descent VNAV page to override the 256 while still at the gate during flight prep.

I have yet to see someone mess with Perf page 2 with min/max speed values.

So what are your thoughts about flaps? When and how much? Techniques? I'd say that all these bananas flaps options are potentially the most confusing for my pea brain (I'm used to either up/half/full or just up/down). As @MikeFavinger astutely noted, I am one who will fly mostly 800/900/MAX with an occasional 700F. What's the finesse point? Speaking mostly to dirtying up, slowing down, terminal area stuff. The up and away config changes are fairly straight forward. I come from a plane that can basically do anything once you slow to 240, though it also does not really slow down and go down without speed brakes (which aren't limited by flap settings in that case). Though I have been taught over the years to die a little inside when you fail and have to use the boards.

I fly the 737 much like the Bus, with the exception that the gear is used as a brake much more so on the 737 than on the Bus.

240 knots below 10k is automatic (though in New York EWR/JFK, please do 250 like everyone else is doing).

If you have to, use speed brakes to go from 240-250 to 210 knots. Most guys go flaps 1 around UP+10 to +20. Flaps 1 and 210 is great.

If you need to descend now at 210, flaps 5 even at 210. She'll come down nicely.

Then you can do 180 with flaps 5. If on the ILS and asked to do 180 and you captured GS, then flaps 10 is great.

At some point when it makes sense, Gear down flaps 15. On the Virgin bus side of things, our profile was 2000 AGL to go gear down and third notch of flaps. So that's what I do on the Boeing too. Then bug 15.

Once approaching bug 15 speed, then flaps 25 (though you can go flaps 25 up to the max limit of 195 kts, keep that in mind, that yellow line is only Vmax for the next "big" flap setting which is flaps 30. So you can still go for 25.

Finally, flaps 30 and landing checklist. (Or 40).

I would like it if Delta said to Boeing, "Hey you know those 100 aircraft we just ordered; the first large MAX 10 order? How about you put an EICAS and another AOA vane on it. You know, just like you did on that 767 we bought 40 years ago and now have parked in a museum.

Actually, what do you know about smart probes? Or can you get your hands on some sub-zero packs?

What's that? You worry that Southwest will complain that their cattle cars are getting "uppity" and require more differences training than a couple of PowerPoint slides? Well, • them, they don't have any plans to buy any MAX 10s, so how many more decades are you gonna coast on that as an excuse to introduce changes that will be more safe, improve dispatch numbers, and lower maintenance costs?"

I'm just guessing that it's in Delta's interest to get the MAX10 certified the same way so pilots can fly all 3 at the same time -800/900/MAX10.

You guys can use flaps 2?

It is prohibited at our shop unless following a QRH procedure for an abnormality.

Yup! Now, we have some made up flap speeds for flaps 1 through 5, but we can use any flap setting.
While it is allowed, I have had some buddies that have had captains tell them they couldn't use flaps 2, 10, and 25 because those captains claim those flap settings aren't in any of our profiles.

Back