ATP Checkride Question

goindownthepipes

For those of you who have their ATP certificate and did it in a light twin, I have a question for you. I may be worrying about nothing, but I am concerned about the oral exam portion of the practical test. The PTS leads me to believe that it could be as simple as describing the systems of the piper seminole I will fly like I did on my MEI checkride, or it could be as detailed as knowing every single little nut and bolt on the plane itself and I am not that confident I can go to that level of detail? What has been the experience of the peanut gallery reference this? I am not worried about that flight as that is pretty straight forward. Thanks.

"Jimmy Neutron"

For those of you who have their ATP certificate and did it in a light twin, I have a question for you. I may be worrying about nothing, but I am concerned about the oral exam portion of the practical test. The PTS leads me to believe that it could be as simple as describing the systems of the piper seminole I will fly like I did on my MEI checkride, or it could be as detailed as knowing every single little nut and bolt on the plane itself and I am not that confident I can go to that level of detail? What has been the experience of the peanut gallery reference this? I am not worried about that flight as that is pretty straight forward. Thanks.

"Jimmy Neutron"
Mine was with the FAA in conjunction with a 135 ride. It was in a PA-34-200. It began with, "FAR Part 1, definitions..." Then part 91, 119, 135. Then the OPSPECs- each section. Then each chapter of the POH.

I helped a guy from the regionals do it in a seminole. When he was done with the day he was drained. From his experience, he was rode hard and put away wet.

Just to add, I would be able to draw all the systems- electrical, fuel, pneumatic, hydraulic, environmental, etc. Know everything about the engine and propeller, how the propeller works. Look at the articles "Those Marvelous Propellers" and "Manifold Pressure Sucks". If the aircraft has an autopilot, know its limitations and the procedure for testing it. Know some basics about systems that are not on the airplane, but in the PTS (such as pressurization).
Be able to do weight shift problems. Be able to present performance.
Obviously, know ME aerodynamics in and out.
Big thing, as with any check ride, be organized and prepared. First impression is everything. Have a folder with all your paper work. 8710, medical, pilot certificate. Weather printed out (all the charts listed in the PTS). If he has you plan a route, have the information on the route (flight log, flight plan, etc). Have your W&B and performance for him in the folder as well. I've got a sample one on my website that can be modified for MEL.
Know where the maintenance is and have it marked. Know what is required. Know about an MEL. Know about 91.213 and the process necessary for mainteance.

When you do the ATP do they look over all the req. 500 xcountry, etc in detail? do you flag them all or just show the totals?

Blackhawk; said:
I've got a sample one on my website that can be modified for MEL.
Know where the maintenance is and have it marked. Know what is required. Know about an MEL. Know about 91.213 and the process necessary for mainteance.

Deleted.

Back