ASIG fueler

xoibsurferx

I used to fuel planes at the Charlotte, NC airport working for a company called ASIG (Aircraft serivce international group). Overall the job was awesome because I was taking flight lessons and made enough to have some money in my pocket but I only got paid $8.50hr and they were talking about a cut in pay when I quit.

Also I thought it was strange that I wasn't able to get a real break. I had to eat lunch in the fuel truck and most of the time I didn't even have time to do that. I had to piss in my drink bottle because I didn't have time to go to the bathroom. It was pretty sad working conditions.

BUT I actually miss my job because there was plenty of overtime opportunity and I need a job like that. Plus I could afford to take flight lessons. maybe. lol

Anyone else work for ASIG?

I didn't work for then but I worked with them at EWR. They were the contract we had for loading up our planes. Mostly a good group of folks. Working on the ramp, ya take your breaks when you can bc planes don't stop for you. Another company did our fueling, may have been a Port Authority contractor actually.

US Airways employee's got to take actual breaks which didn't make sense because we got none. Plus mostly everyone at ASIG worked doubles on a daily basis. I guess the company didn't want to hire a few more people to fix that issue. But I do miss fueling planes. I met a lot of pilots of all ages and experience levels which was pretty awesome.

Never worked for ASIG, but I worked for a fueling company that put them out of business. We ended up buying all their old trucks and hiring some of their employees at HNL. I really miss my fuel job. I quit to pursue flight training full time. There was alot of OT oppurtunities, at times, they had trouble finding guys that will take on the OT. It was easy money, best job I ever had. It could get pretty busy on some days and on other days, there was lots of down time. I miss fueling the "heavies" didn't really have to do much except sit there and wait anywhere from 45 mins. to 1 hour and 30 mins depending on how big the loads were. As a fueler, I also had many oppurtunites to meet some wonderful people at the various airlines and got a chance to talk to alot of the pilots. The pay was not too bad $13.00 an hour and I always had OT. If you had a CDL you started at $15 an hour weather you drive the tankers or hydrant trucks which worked out well for some of the guys that did not have to drive tankers as there were already enough tanker drivers. ASIG did still run the fuel farm and they also calibrated our trucks.

US Airways employee's got to take actual breaks which didn't make sense because we got none. Plus mostly everyone at ASIG worked doubles on a daily basis. I guess the company didn't want to hire a few more people to fix that issue. But I do miss fueling planes. I met a lot of pilots of all ages and experience levels which was pretty awesome.

That seems to sum up a lot of ramp/line service jobs. You are constantly a slave to the clock and aircraft do not stop for you. Companies will take advantage of you and use skeleton staffing to do the job at the bottom line.

Still worth every bit of it.

ASIG runs the fuel farm at CLT and the pay certainly wasn't good ($8.50hr) and trust me I'm 5'4 and was 110lbs at the time and could barely drag them fuel hoses from the tanker trucks and if I got paid $13hr I would of probably stayed with ASIG. I still wish I would of stayed because the economy sucks and theres not many full time entry level jobs to be had.

That seems to sum up a lot of ramp/line service jobs. You are constantly a slave to the clock and aircraft do not stop for you. Companies will take advantage of you and use skeleton staffing to do the job at the bottom line.

Still worth every bit of it.
I totally agree.

ASIG runs the fuel farm at CLT and the pay certainly wasn't good ($8.50hr) and trust me I'm 5'4 and was 110lbs at the time and could barely drag them fuel hoses from the tanker trucks and if I got paid $13hr I would of probably stayed with ASIG. I still wish I would of stayed because the economy sucks and theres not many full time entry level jobs to be had.

I work for ASIGs sister company, and our pay starts at $12/hr here. With all the OT there is some money to be made here.

Oh, and I am 6'2" and 230 and still have problems with hoses. Mostly that is because the ramps are sheer ice.

I dont mind them. We specialize in those here. All the flights going to and from Asia stop here for fuel. We have to get them out as quick as possible to get their arrival slot overseas.

Quick turns are fine when they're actually quick turns. The ones that get annoying are the quick turns where the plane sits on the ramp for four hours after coming in. We have quite a few pilots who abuse the term on a regular basis.

We had a pilot request a quick quick turn the other day.

Quick turns are fine when they're actually quick turns. The ones that get annoying are the quick turns where the plane sits on the ramp for four hours after coming in. We have quite a few pilots who abuse the term on a regular basis.

We had a pilot request a quick quick turn the other day.

I know what you mean. Luckily that doesnt happen often. More often than not the pilots want the chocks pulled before we are even done. 30-40 minutes is our average turn time.

LOL at the quick quick turn.

My best friend who worked line service with me at a smaller GA airport went to work with ASIG up at IND fueling mainly FedEx with some airliners towards the morning hours. He worked 3rd shift and absolutely hated working there(which was surprising since he loves aviation and airlines in particular). It wasn't the fact he was busy, but the working conditions. Lunch(or late night munchies in this case) in the truck, piss in a bottle, plus freezing cold in the winter and super hot in the summer.

Never worked for ASIG, but I worked for a fueling company that put them out of business. We ended up buying all their old trucks and hiring some of their employees at HNL. I really miss my fuel job. I quit to pursue flight training full time. There was alot of OT oppurtunities, at times, they had trouble finding guys that will take on the OT. It was easy money, best job I ever had. It could get pretty busy on some days and on other days, there was lots of down time. I miss fueling the "heavies" didn't really have to do much except sit there and wait anywhere from 45 mins. to 1 hour and 30 mins depending on how big the loads were. As a fueler, I also had many oppurtunites to meet some wonderful people at the various airlines and got a chance to talk to alot of the pilots. The pay was not too bad $13.00 an hour and I always had OT. If you had a CDL you started at $15 an hour weather you drive the tankers or hydrant trucks which worked out well for some of the guys that did not have to drive tankers as there were already enough tanker drivers. ASIG did still run the fuel farm and they also calibrated our trucks.

Let me guess, Bradley Pacific Aviation?

Back