Anyone Know Of An Avionics Institute??

311Sam

I'm trying to find a school for avionics training/repair. I've only found one in co and one in wi. I had hoped for one in texas but looks like i'm screwed. Just wondering if anyone has any info...

I know ERAU has an avionics degree, but that's mucho dinero. Not sure about anything else. I'm trying to convince my brother to go into avionics.

[ QUOTE ]
I know ERAU has an avionics degree, but that's mucho dinero. Not sure about anything else. I'm trying to convince my brother to go into avionics.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this the degree you are talking about: http://www.erau.edu/sp/amt/alm/index.html ?

Looks pretty good. It seems to be aimed at getting your fcc license which i already have though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

what im really trying to go to is a place that will not only teach avionics line maintenance, but also teach repair of avionic boxes. Im just trying to keep my options high once I go job hunting. Being able to not only install boxes but repair them as well will certainly help me get a job easier (i hope). Im already an aircraft mechanic with A&P, just not happy with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Have you though about calling around to avionics repair facilities and talking to their techs? Maybe one of them could give you some info as to how they got into it. You might even be able to score an avionics internship that way.

Increadibly there is no certification required to work on todays unbeliveably complex and crucial Avionics equipment.

Currently a A&P signs off on the work performed by the technian. So we have a case of the amateur supervising the expert. Some Avionics techs are also A&Ps, but many are not. Your average A&P can replace a radio or transponder in a GA aircraft. However working on the glass cockpits is beyond most of their abilities unless they have specialized in that field.

Most training is done "in house" by the manufacturers of the equipment. Many guys are also military trained. Everything else is OJT.

If I were in your shoes (and I will be in January) I would check around some of you local avionic shops. After you get trained up to speed you having your A&P will be a great asset. Probably you'll be a supervisor before you can belive it!

[ QUOTE ]
teach repair of avionic boxes

[/ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind a few things...
As, I'm sure you know, those "avionics boxes" may perform a variety of functions, from simple audio amplifiers to very complicated computerized units. Only to name a few: audio panels, freq selectors, DME, ADF, Radio Altimeters, Selcal Decoders, Auto Pilots, FMC, radar, GPWS computers, ILS/VOR receivers, Transponders, HF transceivers,antenas, couplers, RF compensators, VHF transceivers, HUD systems, flight director computer,displays/indicators (of various kinds), elt's, CVR, FDR, gyroscopes, engine/fuel indicators, GPS and I'm sure I'm missing a few more.... My point is, that depending on the age/type of equipment you work on, the possibilities are immense. My background is in older equipment, here your best tool is a solid understanding of electronics, (down to component level).I have a avionics technology diploma from George T Baker -HERE- school in Miami and years on the field. In this program, the bulk of the training is in electronics (I believe it's 1440 hrs electronics and 720 avionics/aviation related). Now I've been to shops where the tech plugs the equipment to a multi-million computer, goes for coffee, and 15 minutes later comes back and swaps whatever board the computer tells him to change. In some other shops I've seen techs under X1000 magnifying glass, replacing tiny components as small as the ones you have on you wristwatch.
In conclusion, it will be very hard for a school to teach these very different skills, and I think that that is why there is no certification from the FAA specific for Avionics Tech..
You are dealing with electronics, computers, mechanic (and even cosmetic skills), all grouped together in that "Avionics Tech" title.
Depending on where you work you'll have a training log, and that will be the way of proving your experience to the FAA inspector...
From my experience, I think the greatest skill that an Avionics Tech should have is RESPONSIBILITY to do the job right (too many lives depend on this) and for that trust me, you will not find a school...

[ QUOTE ]
I have a avionics technology diploma from George T Baker -HERE-

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm that looks like a pretty good program!

So far from what i have seen its going to either be Westwood College of Aviation Technology in Denver or George t Baker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where were you looking to go in Texas? The reason for asking is that the Texas State Technical College has an avionics associate degree program. The program is based in Waco. It looks like there are two tracks- one for bench testing, the other for ramp testing.

Here's a link to it: Texas State Technical College

Anyway, long time lurker that finally decided to get involved instead of sucking up all the great info!

Take care,
Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Where were you looking to go in Texas? The reason for asking is that the Texas State Technical College has an avionics associate degree program. The program is based in Waco. It looks like there are two tracks- one for bench testing, the other for ramp testing.

Here's a link to it: Texas State Technical College

Anyway, long time lurker that finally decided to get involved instead of sucking up all the great info!

Take care,
Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

wow thanks for the info! You just saved me a long drive! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/spin2.gif

Back