Anyone here currently a flight instructor at FSA ?

Questions for CFI's

If I choose to go the Instructor Path, and i'm lucky enough to land a job with FlightSafety...what kind of hours (estimate?) would you end up with when you complete your 800 hour contract? (TT, ME...?)

How long can you stay with FlightSafety as an instructor?

rickyrhodesii said:
If I choose to go the Instructor Path, and i'm lucky enough to land a job with FlightSafety...what kind of hours (estimate?) would you end up with when you complete your 800 hour contract? (TT, ME...?)

How long can you stay with FlightSafety as an instructor?

1. 800 + whatever you start with...probably about 150 to 200 multi....and that's a low estimate ( left with almost 700 multi...started with 75)

2. You can stay till you're a crusty old man....they don't kick you out after your contract is over. I stayed for quite a while after my contract was over....good place to work. It wears on you after a while because the pay doesn't go up at all...unless you become check airman or one of the cheif pilot's goombahs.

All in all, it's a great job, you get a lot of flying as long as the student/instructor ratio is right (but that's at any flight school). Good benefits, supportive management.......you probably can't find a better instructor gig anywhere....IMHO.

Thanks launchpad...

It does sound like a good place to work. Now from what i understand, if you serve out your 800 hour contract, there is no charge for your CFII and MEI? So, FlightSafety cover 100% of CFII and MEI training (books, ground school, instructor fees, aircraft rental...)?

Also, what are some of the benefits you recieve while working for FSA?

Again...thanks launchpad

rickyrhodesii said:
Thanks launchpad...

It does sound like a good place to work. Now from what i understand, if you serve out your 800 hour contract, there is no charge for your CFII and MEI? So, FlightSafety cover 100% of CFII and MEI training (books, ground school, instructor fees, aircraft rental...)?

Also, what are some of the benefits you recieve while working for FSA?

Again...thanks launchpad

Yep...they pay for your MEI and II, as long as you don't go over the syllabus times...if you do, then you have to pay for the extra lessons....still better than paying for the whole thing yourself...by the time you get there, it should be no problem to finish on time or less...The only thing you HAVE to pay for is the MEI checkride since most people do it part 61 with a designated examiner....works out to 300 bucks.....still worth it..

as for the benefits, look at your favorite regional airline, and that's pretty much what you get at flightsafety......medical, dental and vision for a small (5 or 10 bucks per paycheck) fee, 401k, disability, life insurance...the works......

That sounds like a good gig! Would a DCA transfer into a CFI program at Flight Safety still have a good shot at becoming a CFI there, or do they prioritize over the students who completed their whole learning career there?

I'm thinking about leaving DCA to finish my CFI at FSA.

launchpad said:
Yep...they pay for your MEI and II, as long as you don't go over the syllabus times...if you do, then you have to pay for the extra lessons....

Last I checked with them, which was early Dec, they only pay for 1/2 your MEI and CFII. And, they dont reimburse you until AFTER your 800hrs is up. You have to front it yourself. Wasn't too happy bout that but, oh well.

Koen said:
Last I checked with them, which was early Dec, they only pay for 1/2 your MEI and CFII. And, they dont reimburse you until AFTER your 800hrs is up. You have to front it yourself. Wasn't too happy bout that but, oh well.

that's if you're in the pool waiting to start standardization........once you've been through standardization and start working, everything's taken care of...even if you're in the pool, you get the employee discount (which is something like 40 percent) for your CFII and MEI.........and they reimburse you for the diference when you start standardization...they only way you pay anything either way is if you need extra training...

launchpad said:
that's if you're in the pool waiting to start standardization........once you've been through standardization and start working, everything's taken care of...even if you're in the pool, you get the employee discount (which is something like 40 percent) for your CFII and MEI.........and they reimburse you for the diference when you start standardization...they only way you pay anything either way is if you need extra training...

Now standardization is training before starting as a CFI? So if I complete my CIME there, then complete my CFI, followed by my CFII and MEI, I will be reimbursed what I have paid for the CFII and MEI after I start instructing? Or am I way off here..;)

Koen said:
Now standardization is training before starting as a CFI? So if I complete my CIME there, then complete my CFI, followed by my CFII and MEI, I will be reimbursed what I have paid for the CFII and MEI after I start instructing? Or am I way off here..;)

only if you do your CFII and MEI after you get hired and start working or get placed in a pool....

Back