Another MD80 makes an emergency landing - Guess who?

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
February 12th - This one got out of Florida first.
Allegiant Air, McDonnell Douglas MD-83, N405NV: Incident occurred February 12, 2016 at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport (KBHM), Birmingham, Alabama

Passenger Nick Janovsky realized something was amiss with Allegiant Air Flight 872 when he witnessed a scene that seldom occurs on a commercial aircraft cruising at 30,000 feet:
Flight attendants, looking upset, running in the cabin.
The crew told passengers they were making an emergency landing. Within minutes, the aircraft descended so abruptly and rapidly that children in the cabin began to wail. "Everybody was just freaking out," Janovsky said.
Flight 872, which departed St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport at 8:19 a.m. Friday bound for Omaha, Neb., made an emergency landing in Birmingham, Ala., because the crew noticed an unusual electrical odor, Allegiant told reporters. Janovsky said the crew told passengers the emergency was caused by "the smell of an electrical fire."

KathrynsReport.jpg

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2016/02/allegiant-air-mcdonnell-douglas-md-83.html

No way!!!!! I cant believe.... But this is the most safe airline in the US. No way!!!!! I would have never tough of allegiant.
:sarcasm:

Surprised you are willingly doing that. I realize airfares are cheap but...

View attachment 34302
They're really not any cheaper than Spirit and Frontier. I used to fly them to get to Vegas for under $100 roundtrip when oil was more expensiver and those prices were not found at the primary Bay Area airports(and man do I have some Allegiant stories from my 6 or 7 trips...). Now I get e-mails from Allegiant all the time saying "Stockton to Vegas for $49 each way!!!". Well, Frontier REGUARLLY has SFO-LAS for $58 r/t after tax...and your chances of dying are a LOT less than both being in Stockton and flying on an Allegiant MD-80 in the same day. With the networks(and safety) of Spirit and Frontier, I have to imagine that most Allegiant pax are in driving distance of the same or cheaper fares with less chance of...death.

They're really not any cheaper than Spirit and Frontier. I used to fly them to get to Vegas for under $100 roundtrip when oil was more expensiver and those prices were not found at the primary Bay Area airports(and man do I have some Allegiant stories from my 6 or 7 trips...). Now I get e-mails from Allegiant all the time saying "Stockton to Vegas for $49 each way!!!". Well, Frontier REGUARLLY has SFO-LAS for $58 r/t after tax...and your chances of dying are a LOT less than both being in Stockton and flying on an Allegiant MD-80 in the same day. With the networks(and safety) of Spirit and Frontier, I have to imagine that most Allegiant pax are in driving distance of the same or cheaper fares with less chance of...death.
I have to many Allegiant stories when I worked for them for ONLY a year...thankfully not as a pilot either! Lol.

I flew Frontier about 5 years ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good the service was. Thought they still had a good safety record to fly again during the holidays to go home on a PHX-SFO route and was shocked and the quality of passenger they switched to. I paid $55 for my ticket but would have happily forked another 50-100 to fly AA or UA home. You really do get what you pay for in a low-cost carrier settings sometimes. I guess all this could be resolved with just flying non-rev and sucking it up to get on the 6am flights.

As much as I'd like to be out of the regional world my resume will not be in Allegiant's inbox. I'm sure I am not alone.
Wasn't there some sort of discussion about them going down to ATP mins?

You'd be surprised at how many of my fellow CFI coworkers tell me they'd go to G4 if the mins were lower...:confused:

You don't have to do anything except die and pay taxes.... You chose to buy a ticket on Allegiant for quite possibly the same reason many do... Price. No need for the dramatics.
I'm guessing his company bought said ticket.

Wasn't there some sort of discussion about them going down to ATP mins?

You'd be surprised at how many of my fellow CFI coworkers tell me they'd go to G4 if the mins were lower...:confused:
No. ATP mins haven't been a discussion starter... ~3000TT is the approximate starting point. Average new hire is still somewhere between 4-6k TT with PIC time or solid substitute experience.

Back