Allegiant fired pilot who made emergency landing at St. Pete-Clearwat

Is this not the one where the C/A did a writeup on PPW? Because if so, and if you're a member over there, you really owe it to yourself to read it if you're thinking about applying.

Oh, and a link to the write up?

Edit to add: Never mind. That's the Richard that wants to charge everyone for networking. Then argue with you about how "you'll never get anywhere without paying me to 'network' at my site" when you ask to be removed from his mailing list because it's getting to damn near spam levels.

Last edited:
Smoke in the cabin/cockpit is one of those insidious events. 99.99% of the time it is harmless and will probably result in a "checked, found ok" by maintenance. Unfortunately, however, that other .01% of the time it can be absolutely deadly and can mushroom very quickly. After the ValueJet and SwissAir crashes most operators changed their procedures to "get the airplane on the ground immediately". I actually had something similar a few months after the SwissAir crash. I decided against the emergency evacuation as the smoke cleared by the time we landed, but we diverted to the nearest airport and did an emergency descent. The only thing management said about it was "Here is your hotel room. Don't worry about your trip tomorrow. You will be pay protected." This was a regional BTW.
Get it down then figure it out.
The only thing I could possibly fault the pilot for is the emergency evacuation, but that is more of an "AAR", arm chair quarterback thing and hardly something that warrants termination. It was a judgement call and I nor management were there.

Why would they? They saved the company money. Never mind they probably broke regulations. That behavior is awarded.

This guy cost the company money. Fired.

Not to drag AMF into this but on the "other forum" I just read a current Allegiant, former AMFer talk about how awesome it is over there lol. "Sure he beats me, but I get to live in a really fancy house..."

Oh, and a link to the write up?

Yeah, can't link to it for obvious reasons, but let's just say it sounded to me like the guy did everything right. And it sounded like something he wrote down within a not-very-long-period-of-time after getting his walking papers.

If there's smoke in the cabin, do you really want to wait and find out if it's the real deal? "Ah shux, I really should have taken it seriously this time. I hope my family knows I love them."

If there's smoke in the cabin, do you really want to wait and find out if it's the real deal? "Ah shux, I really should have taken it seriously this time. I hope my family knows I love them."
No.

We knew it was air conditioning smoke (pack fan failure), and we still had the flight attendant be ready to get out in a hurry...this one time...hypothetically.

Management almost wads one up, for failure to check NOTAMS, and nearly runs out of gas. Line pilot has FA call and say "smoke in cabin," lands safely and gets fired?

Sounds like a great place to work. Reminds me of a place I quit for penciling in days off as days I didn't get called for a trip.

Good, because I still don't know what "bingo" means (I do, I do, but you can't count on ATC knowing).
It's this right?
bingo_1428487c.jpg

Back