Allegiant fired pilot who made emergency landing at St. Pete-Clearwat

This is clearly a situation where you want to have as much ambiguity in phraseology as is possible.

"REMAIN SEATED, REMAIN SEATED, REMAIN SEATED" versus "Hang on, we're getting ready, but it looks like we're fine, we are fine!"
The situation was very complex... moreso than the average pilot would expect... ironically saying "Remain Seated" three times may have triggered an undesired response from the cabin crew. I believe the pilots handled the situation very well given the circumstances.

Given their history, that certainly makes sense.
There's more than one way to get toasted on that airline now.
I'm not sure I understand your statement. Are you implying the crew should have acted differently or that their judgement was affected by previous incident outcomes?

So what's the status on the captain today? Has he filed a lawsuit?
Its complicated.

The situation was very complex... moreso than the average pilot would expect... ironically saying "Remain Seated" three times may have triggered an undesired response from the cabin crew. I believe the pilots handled the situation very well given the circumstances.
You are not permitted to say something like that without presenting facts to accompany it; complicated or otherwise, standard phraseology in commanding an evacuation or commanding everyone to stay put is just essential. Otherwise, you get doors popping and slides blowing in a haphazard manner, possibly with engine(s) still running.

(not privy to ALGT's phraseology etc.)

You are not permitted to say something like that without presenting facts to accompany it; complicated or otherwise, standard phraseology in commanding an evacuation or commanding everyone to stay put is just essential. Otherwise, you get doors popping and slides blowing in a haphazard manner, possibly with engine(s) still running.

I don't think either of you are permitted to comment without facts.

If you two want to bash the HORRIFIC safety culture, I'll jump right in there with you! :) @Avalon781ML is WAY more privy than you are anyways to the current situation. Oh, and the only time the packs even kind of stink on the Brasilia is if you go below 88 NH with the packs set to norm. Unless Skywest's maintenance is terrible I guess...

How much command time do you have vs @Avalon781ML anyways? 1/4000th?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great place to work. Reminds me of a place I quit for penciling in days off as days I didn't get called for a trip.
Wait! That's wrong? You must have worked at one of the several places I did where that was/is SOP. ;)

So I'm confused here and I hope you can help me clear this up.... are you saying I can't comment on the situation without presenting facts or that the Captain isn't allowed to use phraseology that you believe isn't standard?

That was actually my reaction to the pack fan failure. "I smell pack. Ugh, again?" Good ol' EMB: you can have smoke coming out because of an overheat without a light coming on.

That, and to reach up, and turn off the packs, of course.
My first rookie mistake in the 120, were doing PSP-LAS and as we start descending somewhere over GFS I pull the power all the way to idle and leave the packs in auto/norm. 5 minutes later I'm breathing O2 and the captain is laughing at me.

Back