allergies

Get a new doctor and use him only for stuff other than allergies. When the AF asks for your doctor, give them the new doctor's name. The new guy won't have a history of allergies....get it. If you want to see your old doc, fine, just don't use him as a reference when you sign up.

Do you really have to have 20/20 to be in the AF? Also if you have 20/20 from Lasik can you still get in? I have 20/80 without contacts and 15/20 with them in.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really have to have 20/20 to be in the AF? Also if you have 20/20 from Lasik can you still get in? I have 20/80 without contacts and 15/20 with them in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Google is our friend:

about.com military vision requirements

Air Force ROTC requirements

Google

smile.gif

So, acording to the .about page, I could qualify for the Navy Pilot, because of my vision and I saw on another site you must be under 78 inches tall (6'5). That could be a problem, because my dad is 6'5 so i could be his height or taller. I would prefer to be in the Armed Forces over civilion training, because the Armed Forces training is free and you get paid to fly. Also you'll get valubale multi and/or jet time. Correct me I am wrong please!

[ QUOTE ]
I would prefer to be in the Armed Forces over civilion training, because the Armed Forces training is free and you get paid to fly. Also you'll get valubale multi and/or jet time. Correct me I am wrong please!

[/ QUOTE ]

If an airline career is your ultimate goal, you might want to dig a little deeper. If you get a fighter slot, often times it might not count as multi. Also, the military logs time differently. Not sure how, but MikeD and some of the other guys can be of more help there. Finally, there's not even a guarantee of a pilot slot. Just because you score properly on the ASVAB and do well in college doesn't mean you'll make it. It's a HIGHLY selective program.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to try an antihistamine that does NOT go through the body to work, try Astelin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Astelin works well but it also delayed my medical almost 3 months. I reported that I took it on the medical and it is not approved by the FAA as of October 2004. As a result I had to jump through a bunch of hoops to pass my medical. I would not recommend taking it if you want to pass your medical.

Here is what it says on the FAA med page:

"The only OTC non-sedating antihistamine authorized is Claritin.  Additionally, the prescription non-sedating antihistamines Clarinex and Allegra are authorized for flight deck use following a 48 hour ground test free of side effects. Currently, the FAA does not approve the prescription antihistamines Zyrtec or Astelin for use during flight duty.  Use of these medications requires a 24-36 hour grounding period following the last dose.   See Allergies in the VFS Medical Information Center."

I put that down on my medical and didn't have a problem. Astelin is not sytemically absorbed so it doesn't cause the same side effects as pills. The only problem I had with it was a dried nose that turned into a bloody nose. I then learned to carry saline nose spray.
Sorry to hear of your problems.

Back