Alamosa, CO "KALS"

Fir Tree

Hello all, I have been lurking off and on around JetCareers over the years but finally made a membership today.

A little about myself, I live in Western Michigan and that's where 99% of my training has taken place

I have ~330TT ASEL with Private, Instrument & Commercial tickets. I took my CFI initial ride back in January 2012, busted on the oral, got real discouraged and took a break (poor decision) from aviation for a while. Anyway, I have gotten back on the horse and am studying like crazy to give my CFI ride another shot, in about a month from now - another failure is not an option at this point. I don't have a specific goal in aviation other than CFI for a few years, get my CFII, Multi and MEI in a timely fashion over the next year and start looking for employment for building hours while being a CFI or something else along with instructing. I don't have "shiny new jet syndrome." I am content paying my dues and working my way up in the industry. I have my wife's full support as well. I am also 30 years old.

The reason I am posting is I was planning on completing my training here in Michigan but my wife was recently offered a good job in the field of her Master's degree in Alamosa, CO. We have not accepted yet.

I have a few questions..

Does anyone know anyone in the area or anything about the CFI and/or low time aviation jobs in the region?

Most of my flying has been around 650' MSL field elevation airports. No mountain flying experience, and no experience with high density altitude and operating the aircraft near the edge of the performance envelope most of the time. Does this affect my desirability as a CFI?

Thru some research, I have found Flight Methods Aviation based at KALS run by DPE Jim Fleming - have any of you worked with him? I am trying to contact him but no luck so far. I figured he would be a good resource for industry information in the region.

This potential relocation would be a large step for us, but a new adventure at the same time, I need to make sure I could have a healthy CFI career if we are to relocate. (if I get hired anywhere of course)

Tyler

There is a 172 at mountain view Aeromotive. You can contract instruct there. They have a few CFIs and a DPE in the area. The one CFI I know stays decently busy, but no more than 400 hrs a year. A air tractor does some mosquito spray but only one guy has that gig. Not much else except for air ambo. Where did your wife get an offer from?

There is a 172 at mountain view Aeromotive. You can contract instruct there. They have a few CFIs and a DPE in the area. The one CFI I know stays decently busy, but no more than 400 hrs a year. A air tractor does some mosquito spray but only one guy has that gig. Not much else except for air ambo. Where did your wife get an offer from?

She got an offer from San Luis Valley Community Health

Scoots has aviation covered, but my SO works at SLVCH. Decent place to work, but having trouble filling vacancies. ALS can be a challenge.

Canon city has a drop zone. It's a 3 hour drive but maybe as weekend work? Not much in Alamosa. When you get IFR 135 mins Keylime flys a 404 into ALS.

Back