Airlines and having a baby

FlySooner9

My wife and I are expecting our first child coming up in March. I’m not currently flying 121 but likely will be if/when we have a second. She asked me the other day how airlines handle it. So was wondering from yalls experience how they (the airline) handle it if she goes into labor while I’m on a trip? Also is it easy to get a couple weeks at home after the birth?

I think just about every airline will try and get you back home ASAP if you're on the road and your wife goes into labor.

My wife and I had our first child last year. I bid my vacation for the month she was due. I also bid to front load my schedule the month before and back load my schedule the month she was born since the due date was towards the first of the month. I was fortunate that everything worked out and she was born a few days early during my off time and I was able to spend nearly a month off.

Another option is to look into FMLA for time off. I'm not sure if it's the same for everyone, but where I with only get paid if the reason for FMLA is for yourself and not for taking care of someone else. It's easier said than done, but don't worry about money if you take this route and aren't paid. Make sure to spend time off as a new family and the finances will work out in the end. Congrats.

I got the call when I was boarding a flight. Off loading captain took the leg for me and I went home. All it took was a simple call to shed.
FMLA only kicks in after 6(?) months of employment, but most will let you take whatever leave time you have accrued. If you're new in the school house it seems like they'll send you home and then pick up training when you get back. No pay and likely not on the sen. list till after though.

I took FMLA for both my kids births. Have the month+ was off. It was hard going back to work. Most airlines I know would allow you to drop the trip and get you home under emergency leave.

If you can't do FMLA i'd bid a min schedule and try to bid for as much time off around the do date as possible and hope for the best.

Back