Aero Commander 100

At a "non-towered" airport, I'd think about a call out such as this. "Anytown Traffic, high wing lark 69b on left downwind runway 24, anytown traffic". I would have an idea of what kind of airplane to look for if you just said lark, but that's because I am a super aircraft nerd, pilot, A&P etc. I am reasonably sure I have heard a callout such as this during my 11 years of flying. Congratulations on being an aircraft owner.

I would not worry a ton about what to call yourself, more important is give accurate position reports so others are able to find you. There are many pilots who announce themselves as "Experimental N12345". Which can leave many questions, what does it look like, how fast is it, ect. Most important in these cases is knowing where to look.

It does look like a fun plane, and congrats!

I'd call yourself a lark at an uncontrolled field, but thats just me.

Mooney tail, that is a Darter ;). You might as well call yourself Cessna though, otherwise every single controller and 5 other pilots on frequency are going to be asking you to explain what that is.

Normally I'd say a top overhaul on that engine is okay, it's mid time, etc. etc.

In this case, a top overhaul on a 42 year old engine, forget it. You should at least try to get enough knocked off the price for an overhaul.

Looks pretty cool, congrats.

I was flying yesterday at a controlled airport, the pilot of such an AC refered to it as a Lark, and then clarified that it was an Aero Commander Lark. The controller called it a Commander Lark.

If I were you I would work in 'high wing' into your radio calls at uncontrolled fields, and maybe even consider calling it a Cessna. Blasphemy

I don't think you need to be too worried about what you call it in a towered or uncontrolled airport. When you make a traffic call people don't look for a particular shape they look in a direction and try to find metal flying through the air.

I think saying high wing Lark at an uncontrolled field would be the best, however, I'm still not sure about communications with ATC. I'm planning to contact the tower at KDWH-which is more like a deer stand at the moment- to ask them what they think is best or would prefer, more than anything I want to make sure I'm legal using a call sign that isn't mine.

As far as the engine is concerned I hear what your saying about the top being a band-ad for a motor so old and I agree but again it's a 26k airplane. All I'm trying to do is finish my PPL, instrument, build a little commercial time and sell it to the next guy in 200-300 hrs. And given how rock solid the compressions are I don't think this will be a problem or at least I hope. :confused:

Also what are your guys thoughts on putting a 430 in this thing, would I ever get my money back? Thanks again

Oh dang, necropost! What mojo said: How did everything work out?

And by the way, "blue and white high wing" is more than sufficient for uncontrolled fields.

Yeah the owner had told me about the VO10 thing, I'm just afraid of all the confusion it's going to cause. 1. I can guarantee you that ever controller is going to have to look it up which is going to cause nothing but problems. 2. I think it's basic safety especially at an uncontrolled field where people need to know what there looking for and how is going to be able to tell the difference between me and a 172. Which leads me to my next question is it even legal to use a call sign (aircraft type) that is not assigned to your aircraft?

Controllers I would really appreciate yalls help on this one! :confused:

The US is probably the only place in the world where you mention the type of AC in the radio calls, you will be fine.

Purchased an Aero Commander 100-180 in 2013 for $11K
Hi, Wondering about your experiences with the Lark 100-180. I am in the process potentially of purchasing a nicely restored one but have the fairly typical reservations about parts etc. Its difficult finding people who own them but there must be a few out there. Appreciate your feedback.

So about a week after I soloed on July 17th I finally realized that I was hooked on this flying thing and I decided that I needed to find a way to do this without bankrupting me. Needless to say I found a pristine IFR equipped bird last week for 26k and I knew that I had to have her so as Biggy would say I put some paper down! I'm still waiting on the bank to finish everything and the owner is putting a fresh annual on her so in this time I figured I would get yalls opinion on my purchase. The Plane is a 1967 Rockwell Aero Commander 100. TTAF&P is @ 1230 hrs and it had a top @ 230 hrs ago on a O-320-A2B 150 hp Lycoming, an annual 12/08 which is being updated this week and all cylinders were above 78/80# on the 12/08 annual. I suspect that I can get anywhere from 700-1000 more hours out of it before TBO.

In 2004 the airplane was completely rewired and the following avionics installed: Garmin 300XL GPS/COMM, coupled to a Narco 112, Narco Mark 12D coupled to Narco 112 with G/S, Dual Push to Talk, Collins AMR-350 Audio. In the past two years it has also had the following instruments replaced and or upgraded, T&B, AI, DG, and Tach. The owner was some what of a shade tree mechanic and worked with his A&P to have many parts rebuilt that were not necessarily bad or broken such as, mags, vacuum pump, shimmy damper. front strut, fuel selector valve to name a few.

I estimate that this guy has anywhere between 35-30k into it on top of the 24k that he paid, basically he never intended to sell it but then the chance to buy a Money on a song came along and the rest is history. That being said I think I'm getting one hell of a good deal for 26k(IFR!!!) and what I want to know from you guys is do you agree? Does anyone know anything about this type of aircraft and things I should watch out for?

Also for all the controllers on the board I have a very important question; what the hell do I call this thing? Rockwell, Commander, North American, Lark or what? One concern I have is safety; this thing is basically a C-172 and it's next to impossible to tell the difference if your not standing in front of it, where you can see the Money like tail. So what I fear is ATC telling Joe blow to follow the Commander who will be looking for a low wing twin job and not my wannabe Cessna? Is this a valid concern? Thanks again guys
So did you get the Lark? If so how was it - i am considering buying one but trying to do as much research as possible with it being rare.

Hi, Wondering about your experiences with the Lark 100-180. I am in the process potentially of purchasing a nicely restored one but have the fairly typical reservations about parts etc. Its difficult finding people who own them but there must be a few out there. Appreciate your feedback.
You can owner produce parts if you can't find one. It keeps a lot of legacy stuff in the air.

We kept her flying with parts available from the usual sources, Spencer's at KPLU was close by when the annuals were being done. Great buy on my end, and bullet proof gear construction.

Back