Advice for prior 91 VFR guys...

CatchyScreenName

Hey all,

Just looking for any tips or general advice as I prepare to leave next week for ATP/CTP. My background is completely VFR and Part 91. I recently did an IPC with a retired Airline Pilot/Air Force Pilot and he said though I'm rusty I'll be just fine. I've been hitting the Shepard Test prep pretty hard. I've been out of the school environment for a while so relearning old stuff and also learning new stuff there. Got a copy of Turbine Pilot Flight Manual and read that. So I feel like I'm putting in a lot of effort but I also feel like I'm kind of wandering around aimlessly without a good heading to steer me.

So basically if you've been there yourself and wish you would have prepped more on subject A or subject B or whatever I would most definitely appreciate any insight.

If it matters any I am going to PSA which is still doing the build a plane thing as their AQP isn't up and running yet. Pretty decent size study guide/mandatory memory item thing going on - which isn't much on its own but add in ATP written study and it can feel overwhelming. So if anyone that went through PSA training recently wouldn't mind PMing me that would be great as I have a few PSA specific questions also.

I very very much do not want to be the guy that flunks out. I think I'll do fine however never having flown anything larger than 8000 pounds and 800 horsepower (radial engined helicopter) and nothing faster than 120 knots I just don't know what I don't know ! hahaha

Thanks !

I didn't go through PSA's CTP but I'm sure they're all very similar. You don't need to study anything for the CTP. Take the time to study for the ATP written. It was a nice intro to airline ground school. I didn't fly anything faster than a Cessna prior to coming to the airlines and had no problem passing. Keep a positive attitude and do exactly as the instructors tell you to and you'll do fine.

PSA doesnt reqiure you to build the plane. Its MUCH less intimidating than that. The big items will be limitations, memory items, and basic system knowledge; stuff that you actually use on a day to day basis. The hardest part is typically learning all the procedures, flows, and callouts. It seems overwhelming at first but practice and study often and you should be fine.

PSA doesnt reqiure you to build the plane. Its MUCH less intimidating than that. The big items will be limitations, memory items, and basic system knowledge; stuff that you actually use on a day to day basis. The hardest part is typically learning all the procedures, flows, and callouts. It seems overwhelming at first but practice and study often and you should be fine.

There was a time where you had to build the plane over there... but that plane wasn't a CRJ. One good thing that came out of the Jets4Jobs program was a mainline training mentality that, I'd imagine is still in place today.

Thanks all.

I'm just doing my best not to take anything for granted. For example, the running joke is "wear pants and fog a mirror" yet I didn't get an offer at every place I interviewed. I put forth a sincere effort and tried to do my best at each interview. Also, there is a thread here with the guy that didn't complete IOE. Some good advice in that thread.

I think I'll be fine as ya'll said. I just want to do everything in my power to make sure that happens !

Should I know the flows given in the study guide before I show up for indoc ?
I know there will be "tests" on the limitations.

Thanks all.

I'm just doing my best not to take anything for granted. For example, the running joke is "wear pants and fog a mirror" yet I didn't get an offer at every place I interviewed. I put forth a sincere effort and tried to do my best at each interview. Also, there is a thread here with the guy that didn't complete IOE. Some good advice in that thread.

I think I'll be fine as ya'll said. I just want to do everything in my power to make sure that happens !

Should I know the flows given in the study guide before I show up for indoc ?
I know there will be "tests" on the limitations.

I wouldnt focus too much on flows now. You'll have plenty of time in Dayton to learn/practice them. Have the limitations and memory items down before you go and you'll be set.

I wouldnt focus too much on flows now. You'll have plenty of time in Dayton to learn/practice them. Have the limitations and memory items down before you go and you'll be set.

I'd second that. Hard to learn a flow correctly without an actual flightdeck mockup or paper tiger. Focus on the limitations and memory items.

I'd second that. Hard to learn a flow correctly without an actual flightdeck mockup or paper tiger. Focus on the limitations and memory items.

Yea, I'm not really sure why they put flows in the study guide as there is no detail at all in the pictures provided. It kind of gives a general area that you'll move your hand to I guess. :shrug:

Not telling you that you should do this, but you could in theory show up without even studying. They go over all the limitations and immediate action items everyday for the first 7-8 days. After that you will take a test over them. Again, definitely not advising doing this, just trying to let you know there isn't really a time that you should feel that overwhelmed.

You won't have to build the plane. It's a step by step process. If you can't pass PSA ground then you need another line of work. Note I said ground and not sims, the oral, Check ride or IOE.

Not telling you that you should do this, but you could in theory show up without even studying. They go over all the limitations and immediate action items everyday for the first 7-8 days. After that you will take a test over them. Again, definitely not advising doing this, just trying to let you know there isn't really a time that you should feel that overwhelmed.

You won't have to build the plane. It's a step by step process. If you can't pass PSA ground then you need another line of work. Note I said ground and not sims, the oral, Check ride or IOE.

Thanks, I asked a friend that was currently going through training at PSA and he was like "know everything" and while I am capable; I am trying to prioritize. :) I will continue to keep my focus on the ATP written while also looking over the study guide.

End of the day I want to be prepared enough to not be playing catch up and also just to best be able to take advantage of what is offered i.e. extra sims, asking for slam dunks in the sim, hopping a jumpseat over the weekend to observe,etc, etc

appreciate it ya'll, i look forward to swinging the gear with the utmost professionalism o_O :p :D haha

I have no experience with the CTP course, but I definitely did not have to build the plane in training at PSA, and there are honestly not that many memory items/limitations. Study what they tell you study, play nice with the other classmates, cooperate and graduate. The sims and checkrides, though not AQP are fair.

Don't ask for anything abnormal in the sim, just do the syllabus and pass. You will have a myriad of weird things happen on IOE.

I have no experience with the CTP course, but I definitely did not have to build the plane in training at PSA, and there are honestly not that many memory items/limitations. Study what they tell you study, play nice with the other classmates, cooperate and graduate. The sims and checkrides, though not AQP are fair.

Don't ask for anything abnormal in the sim, just do the syllabus and pass. You will have a myriad of weird things happen on IOE.
I was just calling it build a plane since it wasn't AQP but definitely appreciate everyone clearing it up.
As for the extra stuff in the sim, I pulled that out of the 'couldn't complete IOE' thread in member announcements.
I am definitely not trying to reinvent the wheel here or anything. I just don't want to fail, any part of the deal. :)
Thanks

Back